Famous Bills Hits

You answered your own question!

The longest starting streak by an NFL QB is now ended. Like it or not, that will probably be discussed more in the media than any previous Bills hit.

I agree it isn't very significant from the Bills' point of view. But the national media seems to care very little about the AFL days of the Buffalo Bills and quite a bit about Brett Favre's streak.

Moats will get his 15 minutes of fame for the hit, but will still be remembered whenever the streak is discussed, which unfortunately will be far more often than the Bills fate in 1964. And he'll be the answer to an oft-asked trivia question.

The Stratton hit is still discussed, even on this board and is as big a part of Bills lore as any of our Superbowl teams. Perhaps the 2000 yard plus season of OJ overshadows it. We were wracking our minds as to who knocked out Joe Montana in a playoff game a few years ago, so I can't see the Moats hit meaning very much in the big picture.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Stratton hit is still discussed, even on this board and is as big a part of Bills lore as any of our Superbowl teams. Perhaps the 2000 yard plus season of OJ overshadows it. We were wracking our minds as to who knocked out Joe Montana in a playoff game a few years ago, so I can't see the Moats hit meaning very much in the big picture.

Again, among Bills fans there is no contest. Stratton's hit actually meant something to the Bills. But the Stratton hit is simply not discussed in the national media. As far as I can tell, the Bills' AFL history has been forgotten by the national media.

And the Montana situation simply isn't relevant. He wasn't riding the longest QB starting streak of all time and had been knocked out of games before.

In the 1963? or 64? AFL Championship game, Bills Linebacker Mike Stratten hit Chargers running back Keith Lincoln as he was trying to catch a flare pass. Stratten broke a few of Lincoln's ribs as he was knocked out of the game. Turned the whole momentum of the game in favour of the Bills. Bills win the championship. The question: In your opinion, how significant was Moats' hit on Favre last week, now that he won't start tonight?

I have asked Santa for a Moats jersey for christmas :worthy:

This one did not have the impact of the Stratton hit but was a lot of fun... Dave Washington, in a game against Miami picked up Mercury Morris held him up in the air and SLAMMED him into the turf. It seemed like it went in slow motion ,was in a stadium filled with Dolphin haters and I don't think I ever heard a roar like that from a crowd. It was literally a bloodthirsty cry from the fans!

I'll keep it going: How about the special teams hit by tasker against the rams? Can't remember the year. Just remember steve laying the guy out.

Vernon Turner, September 1991. Beautiful.

Bruce Smith hitting Boomer Esiason in a Jets game. Bruce anticipated the snp, beat the tackle badly and knocked Esiason out. Later on I saw Esiason being interviewed and they asked him what he remembered about the game and he said "Getting off the bus"

My first Bills game at Rich Stadium! I could hear the hit up in the 330 level. We thought he was dead. I remember he laid there for like 10 minutes before they got him up on his feet...

I was around the 330 as well! And yes, we thought he was dead too. Seriously.

I remember one in a playoff game against Kansas City where Joe Montana got the living hell knocked out of him. I want to say Darryl Talley, but I just don't remember who hit him.

Bruce usually gets the credit, but it was a gangtackle as others have said, and it was really much more of a freak head-hitting-turf accident than anything else. I was at that game too.

Also, all the hits we laid on Mark Ingram in SB XXV. :wallbash:

You answered your own question!

The longest starting streak by an NFL QB is now ended. Like it or not, that will probably be discussed more in the media than any previous Bills hit.

I agree it isn't very significant from the Bills' point of view. But the national media seems to care very little about the AFL days of the Buffalo Bills and quite a bit about Brett Favre's streak.

Moats will get his 15 minutes of fame for the hit, but will still be remembered whenever the streak is discussed, which unfortunately will be far more often than the Bills fate in 1964. And he'll be the answer to an oft-asked trivia question.

Dean, good perspective. I think you're dead on.

Cornelius Bennett's strip sack on John Elway that was recovered by the Bills during a 21 points in 77 second run against the Broncos sometime in the 90s.

That was September 30, 1990.I was at the game. I remember the date because my dad died the next day.