(ROT): If I had to buy a car

ATBNG

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you must insist on getting a car, get a 2005 Ford Mustang. I wouldn't be caught dead driving most cars on the road today, but this one actually looks good, and its relatively inexpensive. Gas mileage isn't great even with the V6, but its not going to be a major issue given you're mileage requirements. I doubt that rear seat is too comfortable, either, but it doesn't sound like you're hauling a lot of people around. Insurance premiums shouldn't be a problem with a V6 model, but check before you buy.

That said, I'd recommend a midsize, 4wd crew cab truck. They're excellent performers in foul weather, have high resale values, and give you as much, if not more interior space than any car you are probably considering. Gas mileage isn't great and buying one is more expensive than a car, but myself I think its money well spent that pays off in terms of overall ownership experience.

The Toyota Tacoma and soon to be released Nissan Frontier look to be the best of the bunch.

If you must insist on getting a car,  get a 2005 Ford Mustang.  I wouldn't be caught dead driving most cars on the road today,  but this one actually looks good,  and its relatively inexpensive.  Gas mileage isn't great even with the V6,  but its not going to be a major issue given you're mileage requirements.  I doubt that rear seat is too comfortable,  either,  but it doesn't sound like you're hauling a lot of people around.  Insurance premiums shouldn't be a problem with a V6 model,  but check before you buy. 

That said,  I'd recommend a midsize,  4wd crew cab truck.  They're excellent performers in foul weather,    have high resale values,  and give you as much,  if not more interior space than any car you are probably considering.  Gas mileage isn't great and buying one is more expensive than a car,  but myself I think its money well spent that pays off in terms of overall ownership experience. 

The Toyota Tacoma and soon to be released Nissan Frontier look to be the best of the bunch.

156375[/snapback]

A friend of mine just picked her 2005 Mustang V8 yesterday. She picked me up and we drove around downtown. I haven't really liked Mustangs since the early 70's and 60's models. This car was sharp. The car got a lot of looks(hot, young blonde in new Mustang, but I'm sure it was the car!) as we looked for parking. I know this isn't helping but it sure was a nice car that turned some heads. Now if she would only let me drive it!

What's this fascination with Japanese cars? If you're comparing your 2 yr old HondaToyotaNissan to the last GMFordChrysler you owned in the 80's, that's not a valid comparison. Isn't it the Honda SUV's that are leaking oil and going up in flames? How about the Toyota V6's that are seizing up from oil sludge build-up. I had a 94 Taurus I took to 99,000 miles and had only one $50 repair, the rest was maintenance.

OK, after all that, I do own a Honda ATV, and it is a well engineered machine

The Ford Focus is a good car. It was engineered by a German. This German tried to sell the design to Volkswagen. They liked the design, but said it was too similar to their existing designs. The Focus handles well, it's reliable, and you get a lot for what you pay.

156289[/snapback]

Plus, whenever someone asks you what kind of car you drive, you can answer them using your best Mr. Miyagi impression.

"Focaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas"

What's this fascination with Japanese cars?  If you're comparing your 2 yr old HondaToyotaNissan to the last GMFordChrysler you owned in the 80's, that's not a valid comparison.  Isn't it the Honda SUV's that are leaking oil and going up in flames?  How about the Toyota V6's that are seizing up from oil sludge build-up.  I had a 94 Taurus I took to 99,000 miles and had only one $50 repair, the rest was maintenance.

OK, after all that, I do own a Honda ATV, and it is a well engineered machine

156411[/snapback]

never had a problem with any of my Hondas, new or old. Again, I've got a 96 Prelude with no major probs, while most of my neighbors with thier newer Chevys and Fords are in the shop on regular basis. NEWER.

Again, my 87 Prelude survived the worst a$$ beatings and negligent ownership (from a maintenance standpoint) and still is running around town (kid I sold it to)

after 200K plus.

Hondas rock.

dude for about 20 canadian which is now abouit 15 US, you'll get a nice new honda civic

you'll never have a problem with this car, you just have to do the rustproofing once a year or else....

the gas mileage is amazing

its just a tad small and underpowered i mean power under the hood is not only for racing and enthousiasts you need to be able to drive comfortably on the highway and it has like no low end torque

anyways if you drive 150 miles per week id say go for the civic

if you're like m and u live in montreal where its been snowing non stop , you need a bit bigger car you know and if you're like me about 6 feet 210 pounds id say go for something a bit more upscale

either honda accord, toyota camry or nissan maxima, the last one is my favorite

I drive a 2003 Buick LeSabre....I am the envy of every 81 YO male in America

155905[/snapback]

:D

I still drive my 1993 LeSabre and will start crying the day I must get rid of it. The greatest car I've ever owned. Has only 84K on it. My wifes '94 Regal has 44K on it and looks brand new. Spending big $$ on a car is the worst investment of all time. Get a good used car from a dealer that's gone through a complete check and inspection. Offer them 75-80% of the sticker and tell them to pound salt if they don't like it, then walk. You'll get a phone call within a day. Trust me. Keep your $$ where it belongs...in the bank.

Basically, Consumers says American cars suck and I cannot defend them anymore. If your looking for a good used car , it's Buick LeSabre,Regal,Century and the Geo Prism ( Toyota engine ). That's basically it for American cars. Otherwise, it's Toyota and Nissan anything.

I AM A DIVISION MANAGER.

PEOPLE RESPECT ME.

I DRIVE A..

I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!

Seriously, i have a 2000 VW passat GLS w/o leather. I'd get a new passat or jetta with the 1.8L turbo 4. They've added about 25 bhp to the 1.8 since my model and mine can fly. It gets about 25/33 city/highway mpg and costs roughly $22,000. if you get a jetta now, they're about $16000 for a base model. If you want diesel (way better mileage), the passat has a v6 diesel and the jetta has a 4 banger diesel. Have fun, and never post here without either posting a link to the girl you're talking about or stating you've already tried google.

If you must insist on getting a car,  get a 2005 Ford Mustang.  I wouldn't be caught dead driving most cars on the road today,  but this one actually looks good,  and its relatively inexpensive.  Gas mileage isn't great even with the V6,  but its not going to be a major issue given you're mileage requirements.  I doubt that rear seat is too comfortable,  either,  but it doesn't sound like you're hauling a lot of people around.  Insurance premiums shouldn't be a problem with a V6 model,  but check before you buy. 

That said,  I'd recommend a midsize,  4wd crew cab truck.  They're excellent performers in foul weather,    have high resale values,  and give you as much,  if not more interior space than any car you are probably considering.  Gas mileage isn't great and buying one is more expensive than a car,  but myself I think its money well spent that pays off in terms of overall ownership experience. 

156375[/snapback]

The leftover '04 Musangs are nicely priced. The V6 model has plenty of power (193 hp, 225 lb-ft. of torque at a low 2,800 rpm), and unlike the V8's won't kill you on insurance. It's a pushrod motor, so no cam belt/chain concerns. The V6's ride ok, handle well, look nice, and are mechanically very simple. V6 automatic's EPA mileage is 19/27 using regular grade gasoline.

Since they are RWD, I'd be sure to get the antilock brake/traction control option, and if one lives in snowy climates, set of good 4-wheel snows will serve well.