Give Spiller a break

DC Grid

Elite talents demand playing time with eye-popping performances. You think AP and CJ wouldn't have beaten out Fred Jackson? Only disappointing backs have excuses made about not being able to pick up the blitz. Nobody cares that Chris Johnson is a tiny guy that can't stone blitzers. They are too busy boggling over his obviously electric talent, not talking about how he needs to work on his vision.

That is such hors@hit

Those guys GET ON THE FIELD......they have plenty of carries that go for negative yardage or small gains.....the difference is they get enough carries that they start getting into a rythum and eventually break some long gainers.....

And the guy we are starting is pretty good in his own right....should we sit him to play the rook when jackson is being productive...so we sit a good player to start a rook.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OJ didn't share the backfield with a decent back or 2 his 1st year really and people were calling him a bust for 2-3 years even with more production. OJ wasn't good until the team was built around his talent with a great FB and line ahead of him.

There are plenty of backs and other players that take some time to develop. Great backs usually play for good teams. We may be the best 2 and 10 team but that doesn't make us good. I understand that FJ does do well but he takes time to get into a game as well, a lot of backs do.

I saw Chan had them in the same backfield last week (1st time this season?) I want more of that, lots more. I said so in TC. THAT creates match up problems :thumbsup:

Look at the post above me. That poster brought up OJ as an example and i delivered an answer. Dont jump on my back for speaking the truth and proving that poster wrong. :thumbdown:

- So scheme is Spillers fault?

- How many carries does Javid Best get?

A RUNNING BACK NEEDS CARRIES IN ORDER TO BE PRODUCTIVE

A running back needs to show promise to get the carries. But i guess you wouldnt understand that. :wallbash:

Whoa there tuff guy. You didn't put Spiller's numbers up because they were embarassing, or because they undercut your rant? Spiller's per carry is almost a yard better. That would seem to indicate that opportunity IS an issue.

As for your HC talk, if you have a micro manager such as Chan who does everything including designs and calls the plays, his lack of time really can become an issue. Despite him being a HC and having other coaches (whose roles and abilities are limited, because Chan is very hands on) there are only so many hours in a day that he can work. Go to any high pressure office and you will witness such dynamics play out. Powerful micro managers often lead to situations where talent languishes. I don't think this will be a long term problem, but in his first season Chan is a little over his head.

But heck let's ignore all that, declare him a bust, and flame anyone who disagrees.

Spiller averages 4 yds per catch. Best averages 8 yds per catch. How about those numbers? Best has shown more in his rookie year than Spiller has. I'd critique Spiller a bit more if he even saw the field on game days.

For those that are arguing that Spiller doesn't get enough playtime because Freddie Jackson is the main runner? Chris Johnson's rookie year, he had close to 1,500 total yds from scrimmage and 10 TDs with Lendale White taking over 1,200 yds and 7 TDs.

NEXT LAME EXCUSE?

There are so many things wrong with your first sentence that I realize I probably shouldn't respond.

I don't buy the QB issue being the reason Chan hasn't developed Spiller, but as a first year coach with a QB controversy and a new defensive scheme, getting your #3 RB ready isn't job 1. But I don't think coaching neglect is the reason for Spiller's slow learning curve.

Danny Woodhead is a much inferior player to CJ. If you don't agree propose a trade and see how fast Bellichick says yes. Your comment is at best a criticism of Chan compared to Bellichick, and not CJ's fault. I have a problem with how CJ has been used and not used enough, and I also haven't been blown away with his 48 carries or 20 receptions and their results. I think he plays less because Fred is good and because he isn't ready to pick up blitzes as well as Fred in our pass happy offense.

I agree. Better tackles and a better team make it easier to run, but I don't think our line is the fault of Spiller not getting a yellow jacket this season.

Jahvid Best. Hmmm...off to a great start, but he is averaging 3.3 per carry to Spiller's 4.1. And certainly he has gotten more touches as a receiver and a back, but I think that is opportunity and not just ability. And Best came to Buffalo and lit us up to the tune of 17 carries for 35 yards and four catches for four yards. But again, nobody with football knowledge would give up Spiller to get Best. It is just a product of the situation.

I am right along with you that Spiller's contribution has been disappointing, but I think he will be fine and we will be very happy to have him a Bill. I guess we have had too many Williams, McCargo, Maybin's in our history for fans to be patient and reasonable. But I am getting impatient with Chan more than CJ.

Wasted pick? After 10 games in a going-nowhere rebuilding year? Let's try being a little more rational and use terms like "disappointing performance". You don't draft a player for year 1 contributions. You draft a player based on what you think you can get out of him in 5+ years. I wanted a lot more out of CJ this year, and am not really happy with Chan for not finding a way, but it isn't a wasted pick based on what happens through his first 10 games.

Let's run him out of town quick!

Talentwise Spiller is better because he's more athletic. As for TOUGHNESS and gut, Woodhead has shown more. He's not afraid to pass block and stick his nose in there and BLOCK. He gets dirty. A football player. Spiller on the otherhand would rather dance around like a ballerina and avoid contact. That's the difference. Woodhead is a gutsy player that has plenty of heart and a high football IQ. A Belichick type player. He doesn't take the players who run fast or is all flash. He takes the gritty players like Woodhead and Welker that contribute to the game immediately. Give me a break.

Sure bring up Best's average per carry. How many more carries does he have compared to Spiller? Best has more playtime and more carries because he's just plain beter. His lack of yds per carry is the result of the Lions poor o-line. Give Spiller the ball as much as Best does and see how his average is. OOH THATS RIGHT. U HAVE TO GET ON THE FIELD TO GET AS MANY CARRIES AS BEST.

Spiller averages 4.1 yds per catch compared to Bests 8.1. Explain that?

Edited by DreReed83

Javid Best has been hurt all year. Spiller's role is more of WR which takes longer to develop. Not to mention we had to showcase Lynch which took development time away from him.

Bush's first year

2006 New Orleans Saints att155 yd565 3.6

Javid best 444 yards and a 3.6 average. Not any better than Spiller

In most people's opinion, as an overall #1 Bush is a bust!

I give up.....so when Spiller does actually get carries and starts busting out at least change your screen names so you wont look like total buffoons.....

Until then....keep calling a 1st year rookie RB with a bonofied starter in front of him that causes him to get 5 carries a game a bust.

For christ sake....what is it about a losing season that brings these people out.

Does anyone have OJ's first year stats- most of you clowns would have cut him too- very few rookies take the league by storm- relax a little

Exactly. People take a chill pill and relax. A bust is not automatically made when he has a solid starter in front of him. As every intelligent person should do is give a rookie 2-3 years to show what they can do. Do colleges call their freshmen busts when they can't break a starting lineup? Seriously give the man a break and let's keep improving our O-line. This man has enormous talent. Once we can upgrade our 0-line and keep them somewhat healthy, plus a year of xp under Spiller's belt, plus our whole O in general getting more accustomed to Chan's offense, we could see something great.

We won't know this until it happens. You pessimists can eff of about Spiller. Optimists such as I will give him the benefit of the doubt and the time to realize his potential and see if he can hack it. It's too early to tell right now. But being pessimistic about it is the losers attitude! Eff u wishywashy fans. I'm glad players like Fitz and Spiller are not wishywashy.

Go Bills!!

Edited by Pilsner

I give up.....so when Spiller does actually get carries and starts busting out...

See, that's always the song and dance number for the foolishly optimistic Bills fans. It's like a mantra.

"Just wait. Give him one more year to show something. This is his breakout year. We just need to be patient. Give him 3 years. Next year will be different. Just wait and see. Be patient. Next year. It takes time. Just wait."

Blah blah blah.

We have to wait for our rookies to develop and become good at some date to be determined, while nearly every other team gets meaningful, IMPACT performances from their rookies every single year.

Why do we always have to wait for the lightbulb to come on with our guys?

You realize it doesn't have to be like that, right?

See, that's always the song and dance number for the foolishly optimistic Bills fans. It's like a mantra.

"Just wait. Give him one more year to show something. This is his breakout year. We just need to be patient. Give him 3 years. Next year will be different. Just wait and see. Be patient. Next year. It takes time. Just wait."

Blah blah blah.

We have to wait for our rookies to develop and become good at some date to be determined, while nearly every other team gets meaningful, IMPACT performances from their rookies every single year.

Why do we always have to wait for the lightbulb to come on with our guys?

You realize it doesn't have to be like that, right?

Seriously? Every rookie has to become a starter and be a big playmaker their first year or else they are a bust. Really now? No patience at all? Bruce didn't blow people up his first year, Brees didn't either, Peyton Manning had a bad year as well. Akm you are better than this. Seriously? You don't expect a legit response more than I have given for sure right? Come on now. Let's see a more level headed post by you Akm. I know u have it in you.

oh wait, u are just being sarcastic right? that must be it.

Edited by Pilsner

Right. Cut everyone and start over....every year!

PTR

Agreed (with the sarcasm that is)

I see flashes of what Spiller can bring when healthy. Freddy is very nearly at that magical 30 yr mark that tends to be the beginning of the end for most running backs.

Running backs get a lot of wear and tear and the good ones seem to catch the injury bug right around 30 and then it is pretty much downhill from there.

I don't wish anything negative on Fred Jackson - he represents everything I like about the game, but I do recognize the reality of having to have a plan B when your

number 1 running back is 29 years old.

Look at the post above me. That poster brought up OJ as an example and i delivered an answer.

You never responded to my post until this (that I quoted above, for the mentally challenged) one which was after all of your other foolishness.

So your just proving to me that you don't know what the hell you are talking about and that you have a personal thing going on with CJ for some stupid reason.

The fact of the matter is we got the BPA in our FOs judgement (which by the way is a good way to build through the draft). That will payoff in the long run is the bet.

Like if we can and do take Luck next year. It really doesn't matter if he brings it the first year. We have another good back. If we draft Luck are we to sit Fitz? because of draft slotting?

Seriously? Every rookie has to become a starter and be a big playmaker their first year or else they are a bust. Really now? No patience at all?

No, every rookie doesn't have to be a starter and a big playmaker in their first year or they are a bust.

It just happens that the really high overall selections that aren't starters and don't make plays in their first year turn out to be busts more often than not.

All I'm saying is that time after time, other teams get huge impact out of their rookies, and those players turn into superstars. For the Bills, it seems that year after year we are told to be patient, and that the superstar breakout year is just around the corner. But the corner never seems to be turned. It stinks.

I hope Spiller turns into a superstar. But I really wish it didn't feel like we are going to play the Maybin next-year-he-is-going-to-breakout game yet again.

No, every rookie doesn't have to be a starter and a big playmaker in their first year or they are a bust.

It just happens that the really high overall selections that aren't starters and don't make plays in their first year turn out to be busts more often than not.

All I'm saying is that time after time, other teams get huge impact out of their rookies, and those players turn into superstars. For the Bills, it seems that year after year we are told to be patient, and that the superstar breakout year is just around the corner. But the corner never seems to be turned. It stinks.

I hope Spiller turns into a superstar. But I really wish it didn't feel like we are going to play the Maybin next-year-he-is-going-to-breakout game yet again.

Is it unreasonable to hope that your first round picks will be impact players that can contribute right away - especially when they are high picks? I get that the posters here are die-hard fans of a 2-10 team, but did we really need Spiller in 2010?

Most fans gave the new staff the benefit of the doubt (as Bill's fans do every three years), but here we are at 2-10 and instead of improving on 2009, we are going backwards. Nobody is calling Spiller a bust - like McCargo-bust and Maybust, but at some point in the next couple of years it might be nice to land a real contributor in the first round - or we will likely be giving an entirely new staff the benefit of the doubt again.

I give up.....so when Spiller does actually get carries and starts busting out at least change your screen names so you wont look like total buffoons.....

Until then....keep calling a 1st year rookie RB with a bonofied starter in front of him that causes him to get 5 carries a game a bust.

For christ sake....what is it about a losing season that brings these people out.

You remind me of the story we tell about how college admissions counselors make love...they sit on the side of the bed and tell you how great its going to be.

If and when Spiller proves to be not a bust I'll be happy. Rightnow he's showing me nothing special.

And I'll also wait for Maybin to turn into the next Bruce Smith. Were you also waiting for James Hardy to turn it around? :thumbsup:

Edited by DreReed83

How about we get down to the main issue as to why Spiller isn't being used very much... Freddie is an elite RB in terms of pass-blocking and we are a pass-happy offense. Give Spiller this offseason and give Chan the same time to tweak this offense and see what happens.

You never responded to my post until this (that I quoted above, for the mentally challenged) one which was after all of your other foolishness.

So your just proving to me that you don't know what the hell you are talking about and that you have a personal thing going on with CJ for some stupid reason.

The fact of the matter is we got the BPA in our FOs judgement (which by the way is a good way to build through the draft). That will payoff in the long run is the bet.

Like if we can and do take Luck next year. It really doesn't matter if he brings it the first year. We have another good back. If we draft Luck are we to sit Fitz? because of draft slotting?

Sorry i was too busy proving other people wrong as well.

If we draft Luck, then we sit him for another year and learn under Fitz. It's A LOT harder for a QB to be successful in his rookie year than a running back. Just look at the success rate of rookie QBs to rookie RBs...But I guess you already knew that.

So you're just proving to me that you don't know what the hell you are talking about and that you have a personal thing against me for some stupid reason. Cool :thumbsup:

How about we get down to the main issue as to why Spiller isn't being used very much... Freddie is an elite RB in terms of pass-blocking and we are a pass-happy offense. Give Spiller this offseason and give Chan the same time to tweak this offense and see what happens.

LOL..ELITE RB? You comparing Fred to Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Maurice Jones Drew, Michael Turner?? Fred is a very good back but FAR, FAR from elite.

So you're saying the only reason that Spiller doesnt see the field is because he doesn't pass block well? I'm sure thats PART of the reason but not the whole reason.

Edited by DreReed83

Well then, if everyone knew we had bonafide starter (2 actually, back then)that would be taking most of the snaps, why draft a RB 1st? Why not OT? TE, even. We needed both. Why not draft your 3rd string RB in a later round?

When your bad team has many needs in the draft and you decide on a luxury pick (no other possible way to describe a RB pick in that draft) as your first, he absolutely has to come in and have an immediate impact. If they now claim that he was drafted to "develop" into an impact player--that's nuts--and certainly not what they told the fans in April.

Well then, if everyone knew we had bonafide starter (2 actually, back then)that would be taking most of the snaps, why draft a RB 1st? Why not OT? TE, even. We needed both. Why not draft your 3rd string RB in a later round?

When your bad team has many needs in the draft and you decide on a luxury pick (no other possible way to describe a RB pick in that draft) as your first, he absolutely has to come in and have an immediate impact. If they now claim that he was drafted to "develop" into an impact player--that's nuts--and certainly not what they told the fans in April.

Well said.

LOL..ELITE RB? You comparing Fred to Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Maurice Jones Drew, Michael Turner?? Fred is a very good back but FAR, FAR from elite.

So you're saying the only reason that Spiller doesnt see the field is because he doesn't pass block well? I'm sure thats PART of the reason but not the whole reason.

You need to learn some reading comprehension buddy. I said Freddy is an elite RB in terms of pass-blocking.

And I also never said that he doesn't see the field "only" because he can't pass-block well. It's a very large part of the reason though.

You need to learn some reading comprehension buddy. I said Freddy is an elite RB in terms of pass-blocking.

And I also never said that he doesn't see the field "only" because he can't pass-block well. It's a very large part of the reason though.

Is he really? Is he ELITE? You have numbers that show that he's top 5 best blocking RB in the entire league? Interesting.

:thumbsup:

So what does this have to do with Spiller again?

Edited by DreReed83