Lack of use of TE as a blocker

ShipUPride

I noticed in last weeks game (as in all previous games), we did not utilize a TE as a blocker even though our OL was getting killed with backups playing due to injuries.

I realize that this is a spread offense, but what good is a spread offense if the QB is on his back or throwing the ball away to avoid a sack 2 seconds after the snap. Seems to me, we should have made an adjustment at half time to dedicate a TE as a run/pass blocker the remainder of the game. One less WR on the field, but perhaps it would have given Fitz enough time to complete a pass down field.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

I noticed in last weeks game (as in all previous games), we did not utilize a TE as a blocker even though our OL was getting killed with backups playing due to injuries.

I realize that this is a spread offense, but what good is a spread offense if the QB is on his back or throwing the ball away to avoid a sack 2 seconds after the snap. Seems to me, we should have made an adjustment at half time to dedicate a TE as a run/pass blocker the remainder of the game. One less WR on the field, but perhaps it would have given Fitz enough time to complete a pass down field.

I don't even know how well any of our TEs can block. Do you? I know Nelson cannot. Kevin Boss will be a UFA. He would make the Bills a better team the second he would walk in the door. Forget stats, the man is clutch, and he can block like an OT. He's a throwback to another era.

The Bills would have to cough up more than market value for him imo, but he would be worth every penny and this discussion would be moot.

Few would remember this, but Lou Saban won the AFL championship with a terrifically banged up offensive line and countered this by including two blocking tight ends, Paul costa and Ernie Warlick. Warlick turned out to be quite a receiver as well, but the use of the TE as an important part of the blocking game especially when the rest of line is bad, due to injury or poor personnel is a pretty obvious solution. I'm surprised we haven't gone to it more often.

You have a point. If ya ain't gonna use the TE as a receiveing terget, at least get one in there that excels at blocking or don't play one at all. Use an Olineman instead. Who knows, that may be exactly why they picked up Chandler. He's got to be one of the biggest TEs in the league.

The only TE we have that can block well is Martin and he is not a threat to get open and catch.

Both tackles needed help from a TE or a back last week. Bell had his hands full with Allen, and Wrotto is just a below average fill in so you can expect some problems on RT.

The spread offense eliminates the TE and relies on the QB and speedy WRs to outnumber the defense, make the right reads, and hit the open man for a quick gain. Fitz can do it. On many plays there are "unblocked defenders" and it is up to Fitz to know who that is and counter with a quick pass. Also requires the "hot" reciever to be ready for the quick pass. This is something that Edwards could not do and Fitz is actually good at it.

Still, I prefer to see some TE formations on our team. Right now the TE is practically eliminated from Chan's offense.

What we don't know is does Chan not use the TE very much by philosophy or are they not used because we don't have the right talent?

I don't even know how well any of our TEs can block. Do you? I know Nelson cannot. Kevin Boss will be a UFA. He would make the Bills a better team the second he would walk in the door. Forget stats, the man is clutch, and he can block like an OT. He's a throwback to another era.

The Bills would have to cough up more than market value for him imo, but he would be worth every penny and this discussion would be moot.

Zach Miller is a pretty decent blocker. They even had him play LT against the Broncos a few games ago.

And it might be easier to get Miller out of Oakland than Boss out of NYC.

There is NO WAY the Giants are letting Boss walk at the end of this season. He's staying in NY. One of the most underrated TE's in the game.

With a crummy offensive line the obvious counter is a stud blocking fullback and/or blocking tight ends. It becomes conservative, but the defense has to react to what it sees. McIntyre is a good blocker and can get some yards.

I have to see Bob in St. Louis point though that in theory the spread offense with a quick read and very smart and fast qb can address this in a different way. It seems to have had some success since the break and might again during the remainder of the season. It may very well be that Gailey's mindset is going in this direction.

I still think the main thing to do is get a quality offensive line. In such a world the tight end can fit into the mix.

By the way I was pushing for the Bills to sign Jason Whitten from Univ. Of Tenn. a few years ago in the second or third round, I think we could do worse than going after Luke Stocker a tight end from UT in round two, assuming he lasts that long.

When I saw Kevin Boss as a UFA I thought the same thing- how great would it be to have complete TE, of course I think the chances are slim or none that even if the Giants let him get to FA that the Bills could pick him up.

I think the reason they are not using the TEs to block inline (or at all) is due to two things: 1. the TEs cannot block that well and none are that great at receiving to bring otu a WR, and 2. they are trying to stop teams from throwing all sorts of exotic blitzes at us by spreading out the defense so the o-line can make the right blocks. The more players you have bunched up in the ofensive formation, the more defensive players are bunched up on the formation and more different combinations of blitzes.

I've noticed that they use Corey McIntyre a lot in the blocking schemes and very creatively. I like the running play where CM lines up out wide initially, then motions towards the line until he is on the OT's hip when the play starts. They use him a lot in the space normally occupied by the TE to block in all kinds of formations. I think the reason for that comes down to him being a better player than anyone else we have.

All that being said, we really need a TE who can block and at least catch passes of the sub 15 yard variety up the middle of the field. We'd be much better on offense. Much better.