Red Sox are close to signing...

wwovince

Thats a good move for your club, Vince.

I was hoping he would come back to NYC, but even if he's not able to go a full season, his leadership (yes, hard to believe from Wells, but he does have some) will be good for the Sox staff.

155629[/snapback]

I lost a lot of respect for Wells when he quit on the Yanks in the 03 WS.

Still a quality pitcher.

Also I do not like what the Yankees have done so far. Jared Wright....iffy..I'll take Leiber at this point. Womack...wtf? Cairo was a fine player and did everything and then some that was asked of him. Now I hear Eric Milton mentioned as a Yankee target....he gave up the most HR's in the NL...wtf do they think will happen in the AL?

Also I do not like what the Yankees have done so far. Jared Wright....iffy..I'll take Leiber at this point. Womack...wtf? Cairo was a fine player and did everything and then some that was asked of him. Now I hear Eric Milton mentioned as a Yankee target....he gave up the most HR's in the NL...wtf do they think will happen in the AL?

155647[/snapback]

I like the Wright signing- he is a quality pitcher. I dont know why the Yanks dicked around with Lieber. They could of picked up his option but instead they tried to get cute to save a few bucks and they got burned. I like the Womack signing. He stole something like 60 bases last year. I think the Yanks saw what Roberts added to the Sox and we could use that element. I am sad to see Cairo go but I do consider Womack an upgrade. As for Milton-he is a lefty! We are desperate for a lefty and Milton is pretty much the best one out there. We could use Milton as our 5th starter-thats not too shabby. Remember Milton used to be a Yank? Remember who he was traded for?.............................................................Knoblauch

Wells has not signed with Boston as of this time. ESPN News has already retracted their earlier report.

Wells' agent Gregg Clifton has gotten offers from both Boston and Cleveland according to mlb.com

I won't believe any rumors about a Wells signing until he has passed a physical and signed on the bottom line. Steinbrenner could always swoop in at the last minute, as he did when Wells almost signed with Arizona.

Wells is just hanging on for another paycheck. I read his book. He HATES Cleveland. They made fun of his dead mother in Cleveland . He had all sorts of nasty things to say about Cleveland and the fans. I can't believe he would ever pitch for Cleveland.

As for the Yankees, they are still drooling over Randy "Big Ugly" Johnson so they tried to save a few bucks on Leiber thinking he would have felt some sense of loyalty to the Yankees. After all, NY took a chance on him and did sign him after he blew out his elbow and let him rehab while still paying him a full salary for the entire 2003 season.

NY will spend the big bucks on Carlos Beltran. Anaheim signed Steve Finley to a two year deal today and Houston offered Beltran 7 years/$70 million. NY will easily trump that especially after losing Pettitte to the Astros last year. Detroit is also said to be interested in Beltran. I guess since there is a NHL Lockout, the Tigers/Red Wings owner is now spending his pizza profits on the Tigers.

Guest Guest_Dan_*

this could be a relatively low-risk steal with the added benefit of flexibility in 2006.

-- While you always have to be concerned about a SP over 40, Wells has started 30+ games every year except 2001 since 1996, including 31 last year. He could fall off a cliff, but he probably won't.

-- Pavano's price tag does appear to be getting into the "insane" territory.

-- Getting Hudson is an extreme longshot. Atlanta, for one, looks able to put together a much sweeter package. I don't think the Sox want to wait around and wager they can pull that off.

-- Money saved by signing Wells vs. Pavano of course can be used to fill other needs like SS (though with Hanley on the way, I hope they don't commit 4 years and big money to OC or Reneteria.

The Boston Globe is reporting that Wells and the Red sox came to terms last night to a two-year deal.

Sox Ink Wells

The Red Sox have made the contract incentive laden, but I have to wonder why they would sign a fat 42-year old with a bad back. :(

155809[/snapback]

Guest Guest_dan_*

He doesn't strike many people out, but he walks NO ONE. His K/BB ratio was over 5/1.

The Boston Globe is reporting that Wells and the Red sox came to terms last night to a two-year deal.

Sox Ink Wells

The Red Sox have made the contract incentive laden, but I have to wonder why they would sign a fat 42-year old with a bad back. :(

155809[/snapback]

I did hear that the Red Sox were going to pursue Renteria. I have also heard they might offer a Millar or Mientkiewicz & prospect package to Tampa for Julio Lugo and Jose Cruz, Jr. Tampa needs a first baseman since Tino Martinez is probably gone, and that deal would give Boston the stopgap SS and backup OF they need.

However, I have also heard rumors that they are talking with San Diego about a trade for Dave Roberts for a SS, so we shall see what the winter meetings might bring.

Gotta love hot stove season.