2-14, 3-13 at best

The Big Cat

My evaluation on Clausen yesterday: the kid is optically challenged. He's either blind or needs to see an eye doctor. He did the college Joe stare down on his primary and threw repeatedly into double and triple coverage with other receivers completely uncovered. B-)

I was at that game and was very interested to see what Clausen can do as I was hoping we would have drafted him last year. Still think maybe we should have, but that's a whole other deal.

Anyway, he came out hot as a pistol and carved up the Seahawks secondary while the Panthers got up 14-0. Then the Seattle pass rush started to get after him hot and heavy. He was running for his life. He didn't have a chance to do anything. The Carolina offensive line is worse than the Bills. It's hard to judge a rookie QB under those circumstances. I'm not convinced he's a bust yet.

Edited by reddogblitz

Is now a good time to remind everyone that there are no indications Luck even declares?

Having a competitive team that generates some sort of chemistry (however small it might be) is far more positive than having the number 1 overall pick. In fact, to everyone but the fans, number 1 overall is viewed as a burden. You have 0 flexibility, you are on the hook for a lot of money and you are expected to hit a home run. Sure, if Luck declares and the Bills don't have the number 1 pick, it would be a bit of a let down as he does in fact seem like the real deal. At the same time, what if he doesn't declare and the Bills have the number 1 overall selection? Do you really want the Bills giving Da'Quan Bowers a massive contract? Or Marcell Dareus/Robert Quinn? Probably not. Let it play out as it will. Generally, there is little argument that the team with the number 1 overall pick in the draft is in fact the worst team in the league overall. The Bills, whether you like it or not, are not the worst team right now. Not much we can do about it.

I was at that game and was very interested to see what Clausen can do as I was hoping we would have drafted him last year. Still think maybe we should have, but that's a whole other deal.

Anyway, he came out hot as a pistol and carved up the Seahawks secondary while the Panthers got up 14-0. Then the Seattle pass rush started to get after him hot and heavy. He was running for his life. He didn't have a chance to do anything. The Carolina offensive line is worse than the Bills. It's hard to judge a rookie QB under those circumstances. I'm not convinced he's a bust yet.

And, again, I watched the same game and stand by what I wrote. Clausen is far from a finished product and he wasn't seeing the field well. Of course, a few blown plays don't mean he is completely talentless or that he will never develop beyond where he is now, but it also means that the next regime in Carolina may look at the tape and decide not to roll the dice with their new jobs and bet on either Clausen and/or Moore as their franchise QBs. Making plays out of an unclean pocket and situational awareness are part of the job.