Long time Bills Fan - Quiz time

Prize: no dinner, no beer, just for fun

1. Which noted Bills RB took 4 seasons to run for >1000 yds and >4.1 YPC?

2. Which Bills QBs of the last 30 years have career stats of more than 1 INT per game?

3. Which Bills head coaches have career winning records as head coach?

4. How many times have the Bills taken an OLman in the 1st round of the draft?

Have fun!

Ans. OJ Simpson. This was painfully easy as I remember the horrendous first 3 years. OJ's rise in year 4 is a case history of why OL's are vital to success, and OJ was very vocal about touting the success of the Electric Co during his career here. Too bad he can only tout it in Nevada now.

2. Which Bills QBs of the last 30 years have career stats of more than 1 INT per game?

Ans: I can only give notables, but my guess is Kelly (he really added to that stat his last 2 seasons), and Flutie. However, int's didn't bring these guys down. I'm sure there are more but I don't have the stats.

Ans: I assume you mean AFL/NFL. Chuck Knox, Marv Levy, Wade Philips

Ans: 7 (OK, I looked it up). 1961-Stew Barber, 1973 - Joe DeLameillure (although he was our second #1), 1980 - Jim Ritcher,

1986 - Wil Wolford (like joe d, actually the 2nd #1 pick), 1992 - John Fina, 1995 - Ruben Brown, 2002 - Mike Williams. Surprisingly, only Williams was a dud. All the others started for several years. What's interesting is the 2 best (certainly Joe D) on this list were our second first round picks.

Ans. OJ Simpson. This was painfully easy as I remember the horrendous first 3 years. OJ's rise in year 4 is a case history of why OL's are vital to success, and OJ was very vocal about touting the success of the Electric Co during his career here. Too bad he can only tout it in Nevada now.

Ans: I can only give notables, but my guess is Kelly (he really added to that stat his last 2 seasons), and Flutie. However, int's didn't bring these guys down. I'm sure there are more but I don't have the stats.

Ans: 7 (OK, I looked it up). 1961-Stew Barber, 1973 - Joe DeLameillure (although he was our second #1), 1980 - Jim Ritcher,

1986 - Wil Wolford (like joe d, actually the 2nd #1 pick), 1992 - John Fina, 1995 - Ruben Brown, 2002 - Mike Williams. Surprisingly, only Williams was a dud. All the others started for several years. What's interesting is the 2 best (certainly Joe D) on this list were our second first round picks.

1. I think you're right, and as for how long it took, wasn't Simpson originally (and very wrongly) converted to WR when he got here?

2. I think it's only Kelly.

3. No Saban? (I am not looking it up, and it was before I was born. Thought the guy had a winning record.) No Jauron? (kidding.)

4. Just a note, on second first round picks: Kelly was one. Who was first (and no looking it up!)?

Eric Wood was taken in the first round, too. So 8.

1. I think you're right, and as for how long it took, wasn't Simpson originally (and very wrongly) converted to WR when he got here?

Ans: He wasn't converted but he was used a lot on pass plays out of the backfield because the OL was so horrendous. I don't think he lined up as WR much. You can argue over whether OJ or Thermal was the better RB, but as a receiver, definitely Thurman.

Ans. You might be right, I was just guessing.

3. No Saban? (I am not looking it up, and it was before I was born. Thought the guy had a winning record.) No Jauron? (kidding.)

Ans: I believe Saban had a winning record in Buffalo, but a losing record in Denver and Boston (he was the Pats very first HC), and that may have brought his record under .500.

4. Just a note, on second first round picks: Kelly was one. Who was first (and no looking it up!)?

Ans. Tony Hunter (I remember, I hope, from looking up the others). Also, one poster corrected my answer that Eric Wood was also a 1st rounder. I was in too much shock that Stew Barber was a first rounder.

Eric Wood was taken in the first round, too. So 8.

Thank you. I stand corrected. I certainly hope that pick is as good as most of the other 1st round OL picks.

Prize: no dinner, no beer, just for fun

Have fun!

Just winging it, so here goes:

1.Kenneth Davis

2.Ferggy

3.Saban, Knox, Marv and Wade

4. TE Tony Hunter, Notre Dame - what did he ever do in his career? Not much as I recall...

4. TE Tony Hunter, Notre Dame - what did he ever do in his career? Not much as I recall...

I think Tony Hunter was traded to the LA Rams and did OK out there. I remember because a Rams fan at work used to come over and thank me for Tony Hunter to rub in each Bills loss in the mid-80's. BTW - this guy mysteriously disappeared in '88.

John Rauch, the genius, decided to use OJ as a decoy a lot in his rookie year, and would set him out as kind of a wingback. Not split out wide like a WR but more like just off the tackle or tight end. Really smart. :wallbash:

OJ was a rather lousy receiver, although the Bills should have thrown him the ball more out of the backfield. 30 was the most he ever caught, and that was his rookie season. In his 2003 yard season 1973 he had six total catches the entire season, which is remarkable. The 1975 season was even better than 1973, where he ran for 1800+ yards, had 28 catches for a whopping 15.2 yard average, and scored 23 TDs.

John Rauch, the genius, decided to use OJ as a decoy a lot in his rookie year, and would set him out as kind of a wingback. Not split out wide like a WR but more like just off the tackle or tight end. Really smart. :wallbash:

OJ was a rather lousy receiver, although the Bills should have thrown him the ball more out of the backfield. 30 was the most he ever caught, and that was his rookie season. In his 2003 yard season 1973 he had six total catches the entire season, which is remarkable. The 1975 season was even better than 1973, where he ran for 1800+ yards, had 28 catches for a whopping 15.2 yard average, and scored 23 TDs.

I remember being at Rich for the last game of '75 where OJ broke teh TD record at the time. A meaningless game unfortunately. It was played during a lake effect storm and in addition to watching the game, you had to watch for snowballs. Chuck Foremen of the Vikes got hit in the eye with one and it shortened his career.

I agree about OJ and pass receiving. Between he and Thermal, I've felt that OJ was the better pure runner, while Thermal was the better all-around back. TT made many spectacular catches downfield and could run pass routes as good many WR's.