What has happened to Rian Lindell?

billsfreak

This is off the subject (sort of), but on Sunday, I was flipping through the Sunday Ticket games and caught Phil Dawson shank a FG for the Browns and then Nick Folk come up 3 yards short on a 53-yard FG for the Jets.

Got me thinking how both of those guys kicked record-long FG's to beat the Bills on MNF very recently, and, of course, against other teams, appear to be pretty average kickers.

If Lindell is cut, how much do you want to bet he's nailing improbably long FG's to beat the Bills in spectacular fashion (probably for the Pats)?

What?? but is Lindell really a franchise kicker?? Do franchise kickers slump in the clutch situations? Lindell may win a few games, but he'll mire us in mediocrisy and prevent us from getting a true franchise kicker! We need that #1 pick to get our franchise kicker!

:devil:

Check the records, then state your opinions. The guy has been more than solid for his career. Every player (and every kicker) has a slump now and then. You miss a couple of kicks, get rattled and have to settle down before you return to your game.

Lindell will be fine, most likely. If he keeps having problems, he'll have to fight to earn the roster spot next year, rather than have it be "his to lose", as has been the case for a few years now.

Rian's recent kicking has been annoying, but not urgently bad. If he starts costing the team games in rapid succession, he'll be out. Until then, we should all be cool.

Its amazing how people don't let the facts get in the way !

Rian Lindell ranks 26th ALL-TIME in FG percent at 80.132%, in his 8 years in Buafflo he has hit 82.1%, which would rank 10th all-time ... fairlt crappy numbers for sure ... seems like they are LUCKY he decided to stay actually !

His 8 years in Buffalo

330 of 331 extra points ... one miss .. sure looks like he is losing it !

00-19 yards, 2 of 2

20-29 yards, 81 of 87

30-39 yards, 63 of 70 90%

40-49 yards, 51 of 80 63%

50 plus 17 of 30 56%

As a point of reference, Adam Vinatieri numbers, his 10 years in NE

00-19 yards, 8 of 8

20-29 yards, 129 of 134

30-39 yards, 113 of 135 83%

40-49 yards, 88 of 124 70%

50 plus 10 of 21 47%

Looks like Rian's numbers are darn good ... can't speak to "pressure kicks" not sure for a kicker there is every a non-pressure kick ... but since you were so off on his abilities, will assume that is off also.

Both the kicker and punter are not the problem that some lineman and better D would not fix.

I mentioned this in one of the other posts on the same subject: Lindell's numbers are dead average. His overall FG% as well as his percentage for 40 and 50 yd kicks is dead on the league average. He is an average kicker. Even in clutch situations, sometimes he makes 'em sometimes he doesn't. Average.

No problem though, you don't need a HOF kicker to win the Super Bowl.

Edited by vincec

Do you have a brain injury where you can't remember anything longer than a few weeks ago? Remember the clutch kick versus the Redskins? Obviously not. Selective memory at work.

PTR

Uh...we haven't played the Redskins in a few years (2007 in fact)...I guess it is selective memory all around...but I know you are the boards self appointed cranky doosh...so I will let it go... :thumbsup:

Edited by Buftex

Up until a few weeks ago, I have always thought of Rian Lindell as one of the top 6-8 kickers in the NFL, but he has since missed a few normally makeable kicks, costing us a game in OT and missing a short one sunday. Not to mention he missed the first PAT of his career. Hopefully, it is just a funk he is in, but if it keeps up, he may be costing himself a spot on the roster next season. Also, although still an excellent punter, it sometimes seems like Moorman has lost a little bit too, and is no longer one of the top 2-3 punters in the league.

Lindell has been solid his whole career in Buffalo. Maybe he's nursing an injury? It is something to watch though. Hopefully he turns it around over the next 6 weeks.

Do you have a brain injury where you can't remember anything longer than a few weeks ago? Remember the clutch kick versus the Redskins? Obviously not. Selective memory at work.

PTR

I was at that game. All the Bills fans were giddy and giving high fives. My joy caused a few threats to come from Skins fans at the end of the game. I just laughed :)

The guy has had a few bad kicks recently. It happens to everybody and is being overblown. He's been a VERY good kicker for the Bills and it would be foolish to get rid of him after a couple of weeks of being sub-par.

Since you braught it up, I don't think Lindell was ever very good...it has just never been an issue, because during most of his time in Buffalo, the Bills haven't been so good, and rarely in tight games. But, he has missed more "clutch" kicks, in my estimation, than he has made during his time in Buffalo. He is a good kicker, but not the money guy that some seem to believe. Great inside the 40....anything else is a crap shoot. A better team, with fewer needs, and more wins, would have let him go some time ago....

i actually have to disagree with you here. before this season, AT LEAST IT APPEARRED like he never missed anything.