Steve Johnson is one TD away...

Coach Klein

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 100+ game for a reciever RB and a 300+ for the QB :thumbsup: when was the last time that happened?

September 24, 2006

Losman threw for 328

McGahee ran for 150

Evans caught for 107

Parrish caught for 104

Buffalo lost 28-20 :wallbash:

<edit> to add to the rarity, Chris Kelsay also had a sack that day.

Edited by Special_K

If Fitz throws 2 more TDs he'll become only the 5th Bill to throw 20 TDs in a season. Kelly did it 7 times, Ferguson 4, Bledsoe 2 and Flutie 1. He has a shot at getting up to #2 for TDs in a season. Kelly holds the record with 33 in 1991, Ferguson is #2 with 26 in 1983. Tell me again why we should be drafting a QB we've never seen play?

Johnson has been great. At the same time I am so sick of Lee Evans not trying it is ridiculous. He never fought to come back for the ball on the INT that Fitz threw his way. Coach needs to bench this slug for a game or two to make the same statement to him that he is making to Maybin. And his defenders on this Board can no longer claim he is not posting numbers because of the QB....Fitz is playing as well as any QB in the league.

I think thst it is useful for us fans to understand that immediate effect of the Bills sitting Evans down would likely be a steep drop off in the effectiveness of Stevie Johnson. I think this is true not because Evans is such a producer, but it is true because though Evans has not demonstrated he deserves the huge contract the timing of his free agency and some very good (but not great) production established some reasonable hope he might blossom into a legit #1 WR/ He has not developed into the #1 WR threat we hoped.

However. Stevie Johnson has clearly benefitted from what I see as the fact that opposing DCs understand that they must assign their fastest CB to Evans leaving Stevie who had good but no where near world class speed to feast upon the opponents slower CBs.

Evans has demonstrated that he is quite difficult to cover with any consistency with one on one coverage. When the opponent dts Evans this also give SJ the ability to use his great route running talents well against single coverage/

The key to the outstanding SJ performance today struck me as both starting safeties going down for Cincy. When this happened, Cincy tended to shift their coverage toward Evans side and it left SJ with great opportunities to get one on one coverage on deep sideline patterns and also once he crossed the field against zone coverage to turn upfield and run for the endzone.

If you sit Evans, then the coverage bias tends to shift toward Johnson and with dt coverage over and under on him he will get jammed more at the line and would lose the ability to run sharp routes and timing patterns across the field.

Its a team game and it is simply a showing of a lack of understanding to merely compare Evams amd SJs output. Its all about Fitzy being able to do excellent reads on plays and taking what the opponent gives him which today played into the Bills hands once Gailey got a chance at halftime to call and run routes that exploited the Cincy problems.

Bill Brooks was a free agent from Indy. An excellent route runner. Kelly loved him because he ran his routes on the money, made great sight adjustments and was great inside the 20.

his hands were all jacked up, too :)(physically.. his fingers were mangled but he was excellent at catching the ball)

Bill Brooks was a fine receiver.....came to us from the Colts I think.

The year Andre Reed went down with a severe leg injury against the Jets. The Bills went with Steve Tasker and Brooks as the starting WRs. Both had an outstanding season.

The year Andre Reed went down with a severe leg injury against the Jets. The Bills went with Steve Tasker and Brooks as the starting WRs. Both had an outstanding season.

True, but..

I had the opportunity to speak with Jimbo after that season at a Sabres game, sitting right behind him. I touted Brooks and he immediately took umbrage. "No! No speed.." was his reply about Brooks being a great receiver.

Just sayin..