Watching the Bills Online

BillsMan75

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is talking about the blackout. As far as rights to broadcast, no it is not that cut and dry. The internet sites are mirroring a broadcast already in progress by CBS, they are not cutting the raw feed. The issue is REBROADCAST. Since you felt like talking down to everyone on the board, I thought I'd respond in kind with a tart and petty answer.

I agree 100%. You forget they makes big bucks prostituting the game by selling the rights to the Sunday ticket to Direct TV. The NFL only cares abouth the bottom line, not fan enjoyment or player safety. I never buy anything off their website and I suggest everyone else follow suit.

After the websites went down, i found a working stream from that myp2p site that i posted.

However you'll need a program to view the game called StreamTorrent.

You can download the program here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/File-Sharing/Stream-Torrent.shtml

Once installed, look at the names of the different channels out there.

The name of the channel is VP23, hit play, wait a minute or two and now you have the Bills game.

All the NFL has to do to solve the internet rebroadcasting issue is partner up with a company like Netflix and provide a stream of each game each week for a small price.

Imagine if instead of blowing a ton of cash on that overpriced Direct TV package, you could pay $4.95 per game/per week for a hi-res stream (with commercials) that you could watch on your television.

For as much as the NFL does well, they don't understand how to properly utilize technology.

Edited by ohiotim

No one is talking about the blackout. As far as rights to broadcast, no it is not that cut and dry. The internet sites are mirroring a broadcast already in progress by CBS, they are not cutting the raw feed. The issue is REBROADCAST. Since you felt like talking down to everyone on the board, I thought I'd respond in kind with a tart and petty answer.

I was not being tart and petty, but you did a very nice job of it. Actually, I consciously chose not to respond to any one person because I thought it was of interest to all. Referring to rebroadcasting only further makes my point anyway; as the boilerplate announcement at the end of every game says... "every rebroadcast.. etc. etc. is forbidden." My point was that it is annoying, but not that hard to see why they try to stop it.

LoyalToTheEnd, on 14 November 2010 - 04:16 PM, said:

the hiwarez link is working again

SWEET!

What an awesome game today, we might actually win!

Thank god i started Fred Jackson in my fantasy league this week... the guy is MONEY : )

Edited by brianthomas

I was not being tart and petty, but you did a very nice job of it. Actually, I consciously chose not to respond to any one person because I thought it was of interest to all. Referring to rebroadcasting only further makes my point anyway; as the boilerplate announcement at the end of every game says... "every rebroadcast.. etc. etc. is forbidden." My point was that it is annoying, but not that hard to see why they try to stop it.

but nobody is "RE"-broadcasting the game. To me rebroadcast means reshowing the game at a later time, not as the game is live.

but nobody is "RE"-broadcasting the game. To me rebroadcast means reshowing the game at a later time, not as the game is live.

Actually, as ndirish himself said, that is exactly what they are doing. Taking the broadcast from one source and sending it through another is the exact definition of rebroadcasting. It does not just mean replaying it later, though it means that as well.

i suppose one has to define ReBroadcast. Because what these sites do is post links to people like you or me who Relay the broadcast.

The NFL still wont like it, but the person who relays the broadcast isnt making any money off of it. Perhaps the sites that post the links do with website traffic and advertisments.

The NFL really should just reform their blackout policy and they'll take the high road and take care of both these issues at one shot.

Actually, as ndirish himself said, that is exactly what they are doing. Taking the broadcast from one source and sending it through another is the exact definition of rebroadcasting. It does not just mean replaying it later, though it means that as well.

My apology. I was a a bit pissy at not being able to tune in to the game and I thought you were being snarky. Must be that time of the month.

My apology. I was a a bit pissy at not being able to tune in to the game and I thought you were being snarky. Must be that time of the month.

No worries man. Being a Bills fan can make anyone feel snippy. At least the Irish had to make you smile, though... and with the Sabres last night and the Bills so far today, we may all have a happy weekend.

Here, have one on me!

:beer:

i suppose one has to define ReBroadcast. Because what these sites do is post links to people like you or me who Relay the broadcast.

The NFL still wont like it, but the person who relays the broadcast isnt making any money off of it. Perhaps the sites that post the links do with website traffic and advertisments.

The NFL really should just reform their blackout policy and they'll take the high road and take care of both these issues at one shot.

Again, the issue is not a blackout, it is the rebroadcasting of the game without the express written authorization of the NFL. That being said, the NFL will never give these sites written permission because it makes services like the Sunday Ticket superfluous. In short, they have contracted with Direct Tv to broadcast the games and will never allow people to see an out of market game for free. I don't agree with downloading movies and music online without paying for them, but this is equivalent to selling air, which is free anyway. If CBS is broadcasting a game, we should be able to watch it without paying for it like a PPV.

Again, the issue is not a blackout, it is the rebroadcasting of the game without the express written authorization of the NFL. That being said, the NFL will never give these sites written permission because it makes services like the Sunday Ticket superfluous. In short, they have contracted with Direct Tv to broadcast the games and will never allow people to see an out of market game for free. I don't agree with downloading movies and music online without paying for them, but this is equivalent to selling air, which is free anyway. If CBS is broadcasting a game, we should be able to watch it without paying for it like a PPV.

My point about the blackout is that if the NFL changed their blackout policy for cities such as Buffalo, they wouldnt have to worry about people streaming the games because most people would be watching the game on TV instead. The NFL would then retain their viewership numbers, if not actually increasing them, and these sites would be less of an issue for them because we'd be watching the game on TV.

But it would be absurd to think that the NFL would sign off on sites like this. If anything they would and have been coming after people that relay the games on the internet. I say that if the NFL changed their blackout policy, you wouldnt give people a reason to relay the games, they'd be on tv in the first place

Edited by brianthomas

I respectfully disagree. The internet sites don't exist because of blackout games. They exist for people like me who don't live in Buffalo and can't watch the games on TV no matter if they are being shown in the Buffalo market or not. A revised blackout policy would not likely affect these sites one bit.

My point about the blackout is that if the NFL changed their blackout policy for cities such as Buffalo, they wouldnt have to worry about people streaming the games because most people would be watching the game on TV instead. The NFL would then retain their viewership numbers, if not actually increasing them, and these sites would be less of an issue for them because we'd be watching the game on TV.

But it would be absurd to think that the NFL would sign off on sites like this. If anything they would and have been coming after people that relay the games on the internet. I say that if the NFL changed their blackout policy, you wouldnt give people a reason to relay the games, they'd be on tv in the first place

Not a completely bad point. I am no fan of the blackout rule these days either, though it is what it is. The blackout issue is really moot, though. Most if not all of the folks on this site who want the internet feed want it precisely because they do not live in the Bills viewing area, and cannot see the game on TV any other way. The number of posts begging for the link during the weeks that the Bills are on local TV is eloquent testimony to that.

I respectfully disagree. The internet sites don't exist because of blackout games. They exist for people like me who don't live in Buffalo and can't watch the games on TV no matter if they are being shown in the Buffalo market or not. A revised blackout policy would not likely affect these sites one bit.

True, i suppose one could say that they exist as long as people want to watch them, regardless of the reason.

The reason why people in Buffalo have been searching for sites like this lately is because the games have been blacked out here.

While the reason you stated is true for viewership abroad, so is the blackout reason for us locals.

On its own, the NFL should change their blackout policy because it isnt fair for teams like buffalo that will have 60,000 fans in the stands and yet the game is not on tv.

So back to my point, the NFL could take care of 2 issues at once, just by changing their policy.

Us locals could watch the game on tv and they would have 10-30% less viewers online supporting pirated or relayed broadcasts, seems like a win win

Not a completely bad point. I am no fan of the blackout rule these days either, though it is what it is. The blackout issue is really moot, though. Most if not all of the folks on this site who want the internet feed want it precisely because they do not live in the Bills viewing area, and cannot see the game on TV any other way. The number of posts begging for the link during the weeks that the Bills are on local TV is eloquent testimony to that.

NFL Sunday Ticket. You can see every game legally and reliably.