Ronnie Lott vs. Steve Atwater

Bronc24

Lott vs. Atwater  

35 members have voted

1. 1. It's your pick in the draft. Which of the following would you draft, knowing how their careers played out?

• Ronnie Lott
    • Steve Atwater

This was a topic of discussion in the forum and I would hope intelligence will prevail and Ronnie Lott will win in a landslide.

I voted for Ronnie, but I'll say this, Atwater was one tough SOB. Great player. I wouldn't complain one bit if we had an Atwater on our team.

Is this for real?

It's for real.....Joe_6_Pack was adamant that Atwater was better. I think the numbers for Lott are 65 INTs and 5 TDs.....Atwater = 24 INTs and 1 TD...

LOL, great thread, Marauder24. Hey, this one time... at band camp... Atwater tackled Christian Okoye!

And he knocked him down! He's gotta be good!

I'd kill to get a guy like Steve Atwater on the Bills, but it's a little unfair to compare him to one of the 2 or 3 best to ever play the position.

But the difference between Lott and Atwater is smaller than between Atwater and Louis Oliver, who was also a first rounder pick in the same draft. IIRC there was a lot of debate at the time over whether Denver chose the right guy.

Lott had his ring finger crushed between two helmets.doctors said they wanted to put some pins in it and he would be on I.R for the rest if the year.Ronnie chose to have the finger cut off above the knuckle and did miss a game. I always wanted him during our superbowl years,except he went to the jets.could you imagine Lott and Lenard Smith as your saftey.

The count at this point in time:

Lott 27

Atwater 3

Pretty decisive.

For the record, the full extent of the "Pro-Atwater, Anti-Lott" argument that the Atwater booster was making in the shoutbox was thus:

-Ronnie Lott's reputation was made by the 49ers "hype machine" alone.

-Steve Atwater once hit Christian Okoye very hard and knocked him down.

-Steve Atwater forced a (admittedly decisive) fumble in a Super Bowl

-Ronnie Lott's play declined when he was with the Raiders & Jets.

Our "Pro-Lott" (albeit not Anti-Atwater) argument:

-Ronnie Lott was a 1st team All-Pro at Cornerback, Strong Safety, and Free Safety

-had 63 interceptions and 5 return TDs to Atwater's 24 ints and 1 TD

-was 4-0 in Super Bowls as opposed to Atwater's 1-2 (a team stat to be sure, but a point made as a counter)

-the "fingertip amputation" at halftime, which is really just a colorful anecdote.

-the fact that although he maintained a high level of play and in fact was an All-Pro and lead the NFL in interceptions in his first year with the Raiders, his play did not noticeably decline until 34 years old (and he played 2 more seasons after that)... whereas Atwater was forced into retirement at age 33.

-the final and perhaps most decisive point is that the near consensus view of Ronnie Lott is that he is one of the Greatest Players in the History of the NFL... and Atwater, although very good, simply falls much much short of that status.

Anyway, the shoutbox is overflowing with a global warming debate, so I felt the need to clarify the point of this thread for my own edification.