A question for the more experienced(older) folks

I've been thinking about how Fitz has been playing this year, and it seems to me that you could draw a parallel between the season he is having this year and the career of Archie Manning: A good QB who is being handcuffed by the team around him. However, being 22 years old I have no firsthand knowledge of Archie or the 1970's "aint's." Could some of the people who do remember this team chime in and let me know if this is a fitting comparison or if I'm way off base here and why?

I think you made a good comparison but Archie was a bit faster.

Fitzpatrick is suffering through inconsistency but its a coachable issue.

I watched Ryan closely on Sunday and it seems his brain is faster then his arm.

He can see the play but he hurries his throwing motion.

He seems to lack complete confidence in the Offensive line. That will come in time!

He seems to lack complete confidence in the Offensive line. That will come in time!

I agree with this evaluation of Fitz 100 percent. The guy is smart. I am absolutely sure that he knows what is going on and where he wants to go almost 99 percent of the time. His mechanics (coach-able) and his hurried throws because of constant pressure have more to do with his in-completions and INTs than anything else. IMO of course :flirt:

I guess you can draw that comparison but there is still time for a decent team to be built around Fitz where as poor Archie really never had that.

Edited by Van_phelaN1

I think lacking complete confidence in the offensive line in this case is because the offensive line doesn't deserve very much confidence. Having confidence in this offensive line might very well be suicidal.

I've been thinking about how Fitz has been playing this year, and it seems to me that you could draw a parallel between the season he is having this year and the career of Archie Manning: A good QB who is being handcuffed by the team around him. However, being 22 years old I have no firsthand knowledge of Archie or the 1970's "aint's." Could some of the people who do remember this team chime in and let me know if this is a fitting comparison or if I'm way off base here and why?

Archie was more of a sandlot QB, kind of like Flutie. Manning was always running for his life, so he would get rid of the ball overhand, underhand, whatever way he could. He did force a lot of passes, resulting in many INTs. He never was that great of a pure passer, more of a dual threat QB. Fitzpatrick is not as fast, but is a much more composed QB, willing to stay in the pocket much more than Archie did. Very fair comparison.

Archie Manning was way more athletic than Ryan Fitzpatrick. He also had a much stronger arm. Fitz is very smart, but his abilities are limited. Archie was athletically gifted. No comparison in my opinion.

Manning was a better prospect out of college for one. Manning had more pure talent and was a better passer. He played on crappy teams and was always running for his life.

Fitz may be a poor mans Manning but he is not as good as Manning Sr.

Even the great QB's made errant throws from time to time. It's just not realistic to expect Fitz to be perfect all of the time. Periodically, his accuracy goes off, but that's going to happen. Hopefully, it happens less and less. He is gaining confidence, especially in Johnson and Parrish. Someone is going to have to step up for Parrish. Nelson perhaps.

This team could have won some games if it wasn't for the defense. The offense, and Fitz, is doing better than I expected them to do.

Archie Manning was a second overall pick who's career was hard to judge based on a horrible line that got him killed on a regular basis. Most experts feel that he would have been an elite QB were he on a solid team with a real line and defense.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a guy who's just starting to overcome the stigma of being a 7th round draft pick with a sustained high level of play in 2010 averaging 2 TDs and 250 YRDs per game. He looks like a late bloomer who's got 8 games left to prove himself a star QB or a forever journeyman.

Where they're similar is that like here at TSW, there were probably a bunch of uninformed Saints fans who would hang the blame of the losses on Manning.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Lots of good, different opinions. I especially appreciate the responses regarding the different skill sets and playing styles of the two players. Just to be clear, my intent was not to suggest that Fitzpatrick is as good as Archie Manning was. I just used him as the classic example of a good QB on a really bad team, and with the way Fitz has been playing this year, he has been a good QB on a really bad team in my opinion. If he can keep it up and continue improving remains to be seen. Here's to hoping he can :beer: