Will we get a compensatory pick if merriman leaves via FA?

zevo

I guess if he plays real well and goes on to sign a big contract with another team are we entitled to a compensatory ddraft pick that could be as high as a 3rd? If this is possible I think this is an excellent move.

I think technically we might be entitled to a pick, but if you factor in the circumstances - a guy who didn't want to be here suited up and played a handful of games to play out his contract - they would decide it was't worth much - maybe a 7th. I think it would be different if we had signed him to an original contract and he had spent lots of time being a central part of the team - those are the holes the NFL is trying to fill through compensatory picks......

I think technically we might be entitled to a pick, but if you factor in the circumstances - a guy who didn't want to be here suited up and played a handful of games to play out his contract - they would decide it was't worth much - maybe a 7th. I think it would be different if we had signed him to an original contract and he had spent lots of time being a central part of the team - those are the holes the NFL is trying to fill through compensatory picks......

It's based mostly on the money he gets from the next team, not the role he played on the former team. So if he gets a big money deal, which the Bills could contribute to by being one of the teams offering a contract, it could amount to more than a 7th.

Actually the comp pick system that's currently in place is one of the things being revamped in the new CBA since the current system is basically garbage so I guess we will see when a new CBA is decided.

Edited by Erik