Other Merriman suitors = TB and MIA

The Big Cat

Miami makes sense but Tampa is kind of weird as they play a 4-3. I know Merriman played the 4-3 in college but its been 4+ years in San Diego's 3-4. Either way its good to see that other teams thought Merriman had something left to offer.

I would claim him just to keep Miami from yet another upgrade

Quite frankly, I'd guess once buffalo was the destination - some seriously interested teams shredded the papers and potentially uninterested teams could have filed to sell fans on attempted progress.

If TB doesn't make sense (which is debatable - they have ronde playing wlb on some downs) it could be a gm trying to sell that they chase free agents without actually spending money.

A team like Miami could be sending an empty threat at a player.

Baltimore might have been dying for him but didn't want to further highlight a weakness by putting in a claim they wouldn't get. Once it was commonly known buff was in, you can't tell anything from the claims.

Edited by NoSaint

Quite frankly, I'd guess once buffalo was the destination - some seriously interested teams shredded the papers and potentially uninterested teams could have filed to sell fans on attempted progress.

But how does the process work? My understanding was that it's somewhat secretive...the Chargers announce that he's been waived, so then anyone who wants to claim him does so - not knowing who else puts in a claim. It's really a tiebreaker of sorts once all of the claims are submitted.

I didn't think that it's a linear process, so it's not like the contenders would know that Buffalo put in a claim (outside of any grapevine chatter).

We all more or less knew by mid day-- early afternoon.... When do you think GMs knew? If it was 5 mins before 4 o'clock then my post is relevant. I'd imagine with sources at league offices, friends around the league, and no reason for buffalo to keep it secret.... It was known before 4.

Buddy, chan, Edwards, and the janitor had no reason to deny once they settled on it.

Edited by NoSaint

But how does the process work? My understanding was that it's somewhat secretive...the Chargers announce that he's been waived, so then anyone who wants to claim him does so - not knowing who else puts in a claim. It's really a tiebreaker of sorts once all of the claims are submitted.

I didn't think that it's a linear process, so it's not like the contenders would know that Buffalo put in a claim (outside of any grapevine chatter).

I'm pretty sure its kept a secret until the deadline. Then it is simply awarded to the team with the worst record who put in a claim. Otherwise it could get too complicated with the "OK, do you want him? No? OK next team. Do you want him? No? OK next team." etc.