qb prospects

JohnC

The below link was taken from a show on WGR55 and involves an interview by Howard Simon of a Gabriel,former pro scout and front office official. The guest assesses the prospects who may be coming out. His favorite qb is clearly Luck.His comments about the other prospects are very interesting.

http://audio.wgr550.com/hosting/media/wgr550/1268190/112-greg-gabriel-on-the-howard-simon-show.mp3

Just confirms my view that Mallett is crap. I wouldn't be upset with Luck at #1, but if he's not there we have GOT to go defense.

Nothing we didnt already know. It goes:

Luck >>>>> Mallett >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rest of the pack

Just confirms my view that Mallett is crap. I wouldn't be upset with Luck at #1, but if he's not there we have GOT to go defense.

I still dont understand how you could watch him play, watch him read defenses at the line and call adjustments, see how he throws, see his numbers.... and still say he is "crap".

Have you watched him in anything other than the Alabama game?

It's easy to understand everyone's appreciation of Luck. And then Mallett and then others, BUT . . . Mallet and the others are not that far behind, and certainly won't be seen as crap on draft day. A MINIMUM of 4 QBs go in the first round.

I'm not in a rush for the Bills to take a QB - even Luck - though it'd be near impossible to be critical of that pick.

And since when is WGR listened to with anything less than total derision??????

I still dont understand how you could watch him play, watch him read defenses at the line and call adjustments, see how he throws, see his numbers.... and still say he is "crap".

lol...well, I will usually preface my comments with the fact that I have NOT seen all of this guys games. I saw about three last season and probably three or four this year. I just feel VERY strongly that this guy is going to be somewhere between a huge bust and a huge tease. By a huge tease, I mean the type of player who will put up all sorts of fancy stats against crap teams, but never EVER be the difference when we really need him to take the team on his shoulders and lead us to a victory. In short, I think he'll be Bledsoe against the Pittsburgh JV starters from a few years ago. I have nothing against him personally, and I'm not trying to hack on anyone here who likes the guy...it's just that once in a while I feel REALLY strongly about something related to this game, and this is one of those times. If we use our first round pick on this guy, I'm seriously gonna :sick:

The only QBs I would want to see us pick in the first two rounds of the draft are Luck and Newton. They are both winners. As the guy on the audio said, he's a product of the system who lacks accuracy. You can't have accuracy issues in the NFL anymore than you can have a fumbling problem as a running back.

Edited by ajzepp

it's just that once in a while I feel REALLY strongly about something related to this game, and this is one of those times. If we use our first round pick on this guy, I'm seriously gonna :sick:

Yes, but as a true, legit fan, you would be the first to wish him well as a Bill, and to say you are wrong if he came to town and excelled.

Btw, when have I ever talked up a qb on this board? My pro-Mallett feelings are the polar opposite to your feelings against him. I suppose that one of us will be correct! ;):):thumbsup:

Bill, you are the LAST person I would ever expect to be critical of my being a true Bills fan!! What the heck, man? lol If we draft Mallett(head) with the first pick of the draft, I will B word and moan about it for days. But come training camp, I will be behind him 100% and hope to the good LORD I was wrong about the guy. But until the draft comes along, I will hope and pray that this guy ends up on a team other than the Bills.

Bill, you are the LAST person I would ever expect to be critical of my being a true Bills fan!! What the heck, man? lol If we draft Mallett(head) with the first pick of the draft, I will B word and moan about it for days. But come training camp, I will be behind him 100% and hope to the good LORD I was wrong about the guy. But until the draft comes along, I will hope and pray that this guy ends up on a team other than the Bills.

Please read my post again. I would NEVER do that, which was my point. Or, am I crazy? :oops:

Please read my post again. I would NEVER do that, which was my point. Or, am I crazy? :oops:

Yes, I see that I misread your post...you are 100% correct, I would support ( :sick: ) the guy 100% if we draft him because I am a true bills fan :)

OK, now that we understand eachother, please come up for a game with us next season. :thumbsup: Did you see the pics R.Rich posted?

No, I sure didn't but I'll check em out now! :D

Because of the same things that guy said. While his completion % is good, he accuracy (he calls it ball placement) is bad. When it is as bad as Mallets is, it equals lots of INTs and missed opportunities. He also doesnt read defenses that well - its mroe his offense, which is why Brohm was so great in college and has been a nothing in the NFL, and why their backup came in the other day and lit it up just like Mallet does.

I don't understand how those things are so hard for everyone to see.

If the Bills have the first pick and Luck decides not to come out I don't think the Bills will take a qb with that pick simply because none of the remaining prospects would be rated as a top five prospect. Could the Bills move down in the draft? I doubt it because it is so difficult to do. Most teams want to move down from a very high pick and get additional picks and cheaper contracts.

In the Gabriel interview I understood that he wasn't as enamored with Mallett as many others are. He seemed to favor Locker over Mallett. Locker is playing hurt and he is playing on a team which isn't too good. Gabriel seemed to suggest that Mallett is playing on an offense which is conducive for good qb stats. The Newcomb evaluation is going to be intriquing to watch if he decides to come out.

As the season spirals down for the Bills it is obvious that there will be more draft talk.

I'm very skeptical outside of the top two (Mallet and Luck). I haven't watched any of Luck's games but from the numbers and your guys opinion he sounds like he's a sure franchise qb.

Mallet is someone who I have watched alot of and honestly though I really wanna see him in a Bills uniform, I'd be crossing my fingers and hoping he gets coached up. I LOVE his arm though, things a cannon.

Besides for those two I really don't like anyone as a 1st rounder or even in the draft for the Bills. I just don't see anyone who's worth picking with all these other needs, Newton is intriging, Gabbert looks decent and Ponder looks like maybe he can be something. But we need a sure qb imho. All the other college qb's look quite sketchy to me.

The guy in the interview actually said Luck >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Locker >>> Mallett.

He said Luck is a guy he would take #1 overall, Locker he would definitely take in the 1st round, and Mallett he would not take in the 1st round.

The guy in the interview actually said Luck >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Locker >>> Mallett.

He said Luck is a guy he would take #1 overall, Locker he would definitely take in the 1st round, and Mallett he would not take in the 1st round.

You are right in how he rated the qbs. He rated Locker ahead of Mallett. He seemed to give a number of red flags about the prospects of Mallett. There is no doubt that he felt Luck is not only the best qb in the draft (assuming he comes out) but that Luck would be a worthy #1 pick.

It is intiguing to observe how people hear what they want to hear instead of hearing what was actually said.

I heard them talking about it this morning and it basically sounds like if Luck declares you go after him. Again, that is somewhat of a big gamble too as he will be a one year wonder in college as a QB. The rest are not worthy of a top ten pick. Mallett as a mid round pick is someone not going to go to Buffalo unless he drops to round 2 or 3......looks like he is viewed as a Clausen and/or McCoy, Pike etc....from this year's class.

When Gabriel mentioned a freshman came in for Arkansas and put up 350 yards of passing and played as well as Mallett it does make you think/question just how good he is if a kid playing HS football 9 months ago can put up similar numbers