Good debate... Black coaches

Corp000085

You can argue that blacks need to be interviewed for a job, or you can argue that if the #1 candidate is white, why interview a black??

My thoughts are, interview the #1 guy. If he's white, then so be it. I think its crazy for the NFL to give out token interviews, which are a waste of time and money, for guys who won't get the job in the first place. The counterpoint will be "what about guys who made it already, like dungy, greene, or edwards?" What about them?? So what if they're black... They're good coaches and that's why they are where they are. You can't have a token "black" interview for another reason too... What about when some chinese guy wants a job?? Then he'll fight to get interviewed. Jerry gray will be a head coach someday in the NFL. It's not cause he's black though, its cause he's a good coach. I just don't buy the whole "token" interview. Thoughts??

by the way, i'm very far from racist, but STFU bca...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1941831

You can argue that blacks need to be interviewed for a job, or you can argue that if the #1 candidate is white, why interview a black??

My thoughts are, interview the #1 guy.  If he's white, then so be it.  I think its crazy for the NFL to give out token interviews, which are a waste of time and money, for guys who won't get the job in the first place.  The counterpoint will be "what about guys who made it already, like dungy, greene, or edwards?"  What about them??  So what if they're black...  They're good coaches and that's why they are where they are.  You can't have a token "black" interview for another reason too...  What about when some chinese guy wants a job??  Then he'll fight to get interviewed.  Jerry gray will be a head coach someday in the NFL.  It's not cause he's black though, its cause he's a good coach.  I just don't buy the whole "token" interview.  Thoughts??

by the way, i'm very far from racist, but STFU bca... 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1941831

152634[/snapback]

I say interview who you want. If I want say Bob Stoops I am gonna interview Bob Stoops and do all I can to get him. Fugg the NFL and anyone else. I will pay the damn fine

This is much ado about social and societal issues that will take MILLENIA to change. I can see why people get so upset about the disparity in the hiring of black coaches, women managers, etc.

What's often missing from these discussions is any mention of the PROPORTIONS of well trained candidates in the area of interest. Ever try hiring a black female biochemist with a PhD interested in teaching in a BS/MS program? Guess what - not a lot of such candidates out there.

Society tries to reform these past habits in hiring minorities by requiring certain #'s of minorities to simply be INTERVIEWED, and in some cases in mgmt may get enough pressure put on them to actually hire the desired ethnicity, regardless of whether or not they ARE the best person for the job.

Unfortunately, team owners in football have little such pressures placed upon them - instead they have an even simpler motivation - just win baby. So don't hold your breath folks.

the league feels that even if the team doesnt hire the black coaches their "forced" to interview it at least gives them hc interview experience, i think it was dennis green who said he went to detroit knowing they wanted mariuchi and felt it was a waste of his and their time. i feel you hire who you want to hire regardless of color, if you think you have your eye on the best candidate why should you be forced to interview, then punished if you dont, someone you dont want?its a waste of time and energy that could be used by that coach to go other places where their wanted or have a legit chance to be hired, not just to entertain some big wig so he wont lose his draft picks

the league feels that even if the team doesnt hire the black coaches their "forced" to interview it at least gives them hc interview experience, i think it was dennis green who said he went to detroit knowing they wanted mariuchi and felt it was a waste of his and their time. i feel you hire who you want to hire regardless of color, if you think you have your eye on the best candidate why should you be forced to interview, then punished if you dont, someone you dont want?its a waste of time and energy that could be used by that coach to go other places where their wanted or have a legit chance to be hired, not just to entertain some big wig so he wont lose his draft picks

152668[/snapback]

Dude, what the hell does your screen name mean?

I'm not racist, my best friend for 14 years is a black guy, but I gotta say....

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: BCA. It's rediculous that there is actually an organized group for this in 2004. Do these people believe that the African American race is still a minority? Please!!

USC wanted Steve Spurrier, Spurrier wanted USC. When you have a chance to hire an NCAA legend like Spurrier, you go after it.

Guest Ol Dirt Dog
well im not a homo of thats what u mean, i got it from a wu tang song...cream, maybe u heard of it

152680[/snapback]

did you pull that from a line in the song? and if you did whats the line? (im just asking cause i USED to have that song memorized but havent listened to it in a while) cause the chorus is definitely Cash Rules Everthing Around Me, C.R.E.A.M.

Guest David Duke
I'm not racist, my best friend for 14 years is a black guy, but I gotta say....

152686[/snapback]

man, if you gotta start a point by "clarifying" that, dont bother to make the point.

did you pull that from a line in the song? and if you did whats the line? (im just asking cause i USED to have that song memorized but havent listened to it in a while) cause the chorus is definitely Cash Rules Everthing Around Me, C.R.E.A.M.

152712[/snapback]

it wasnt a line, in the very beginning before meth started the "cashrules everything around me" hook, he said or what sounds like "cashfruit", from the very beginning we always fealt thats what he said but you know it coulda been just how he pronounced it

...if you go back and listen to 36 chambers, they do somethin similar on clan in the front, rza says "up from the 36 chambers...its the GHOST face killah" but the way he said ghost he makes it sound like "its the GOOKS"

it wasnt a line, in the very beginning before meth started the "cashrules everything around me" hook, he said or what sounds like "cashfruit", from the very beginning we always fealt thats what he said but you know it coulda been just how he pronounced it

...if you go back and listen to 36 chambers, they do somethin similar on clan in the front, rza says "up from the 36 chambers...its the GHOST face killah" but the way he said ghost he makes it sound like "its the GOOKS"

152763[/snapback]

Ahh the good old days of rap....great album.

Am I getting old or has everything that's come out in the last 8 years just sucked?

Am I getting old or has everything that's come out in the last 8 years just sucked?

152778[/snapback]

its definetly not you gettin old, theres an incredible lack of originality. when wu came out their style and sound of beats was brand new and exciting, now all we have is a bunch of people basically doin their best impression of whoevers on tv just so they can get on tv too

Guest BackInDaDay

Saw Mike Singletary interviewed on NFL Network last night. I didn't know he's coaching the Raven's LBs. Great attitude, intelligent, candid, and wants to eventually get a head coaching position in the NFL or college. From what I saw, I think he'll have his job within five years. Something great that he brings to coaching players at such a high level, is the fact that (his opinion, not mine) he had mediocre talent and had to work very hard to compete with those more gifted. He wasn't asked about this form of affirmative action, but if I'm reading him right, he would probably answer, "why should being the best coach available be any less work than being the best MLB available".

Guest tim in ak

More than race its the need to break open the old boys network. stevestojantty coaches get recycled over and over, like coughlin etc...

Guest Big Baby Jesus

152778[/snapback]

its definetly not you gettin old, theres an incredible lack of originality. when wu came out their style and sound of beats was brand new and exciting, now all we have is a bunch of people basically doin their best impression of whoevers on tv just so they can get on tv too

152781[/snapback]

there's a TON of good hip-hop out there, you just gotta look for it. anything on radio or mtv isnt hip-hop its rap, and rap sucks.

things to check out:

EL-P

Aesop Rock

Cannibal Ox (both A-Rock and Can-Ox are on EL-P's label "Definitive Jux", and ANYTHING thats ever come out on that label is good)

MF Doom (also has a CD out under the name Madvillian)

Dizzee Rascal isnt bad for being almost mainstream

the new Talib Kweli is pretty good

MC Solaar (france's premier MC, absolutely ridiculous, download some, but dont tell anyone on here i told you to)

you may have heard of those, theyre not that "underground"

Wu is still rippin sh-- up

the new Ghostface is real good

EVERYTHING that the GZA has put out is quality

same goes for Masta Killa and of course Raekwon

but i dont know what more hip-hop you need other than Ready to Die and Life after Death, there will never be anything better

The problem is more apparent in the college ranks than the NFL. While the number of black head coaches is dismal at both levels, at least the NFL is making noticible progress. Right now there are 5 black head coaches (and one interim who is black) out of 30 teams in the NFL. 15 years ago, there was only one. With the firing of Tyrone Willingham, there are only 2 black head coaches in 118 Div 1-A programs.

The solution will come slowly. You simply cannot hire head coaches solely because they are black. There are still dues to be paid. That means serving as a position coach, then moving up to a coordinators job. The good news is that there are more black coaches in the pipeline, so it's a matter of time that the best ones will rise to head coach, as it should be.

The colleges tend to be further behind. I do think there is an undercurrent of racism, especially at southern schools. Rich alumni and boosters tend to influence who gets hired so there's another area where minority coaches can get shut out.

But I think the notion that Tyrone Willingham was fired because he was black, as some a-hole sports types have suggested, is totally preposterous! If Notre Dame was a racist institution, why did they hire him in the first place? Just so they could fire him before his contract was up? The problem at Notre Dame is not racial, it's coming to grips that they aren't "Notre Dame" anymore, and cream of the coaching crop is not lining up to coach there like it used to.

PTR