Holy crap, I'm paying $85 for cable!

There's a simple solution:

#1. Cancel your Cable subscription

#2. Call complaining of your Road Runner's Quality

By default, one of their first actions is to take the data trap off the Cable on the telephone pole. This allows free (just basic, like 70 or so channels) to come in.

Now, the guy will tell NOT to hook it up to your TV (the guy told me with a wink and a nod), but in all honesty, there's no way for them to tell if its hooked up or not.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont pay extra for my local channels with DirecTV... i dont think anyone does, actually.

I like DTV so much better than cable that I pay for DTV and adelphia highspeed seperatly.

152489[/snapback]

only reason I am paying for local channels was until I had a HD antenna needed locals for ABC and BCS FOx and NBC provide net feeds or at least did back in 96 when I signed up. My Wife still wishes we could get net feed for PBS and CBS so could watch Golf instead of crummy ACC basketball games

By default, one of their first actions is to take the data trap off the Cable on the telephone pole.  This allows free (just basic, like 70 or so channels) to come in. 

Now, the guy will tell NOT to hook it up to your TV (the guy told me with a wink and a nod), but in all honesty, there's no way for them to tell if its hooked up or not.

152823[/snapback]

Yeah, right. <_<

My cable service is $83/mo.  A comparable package from DTV would cost $71/mo.  Sounds good, right?  But let's look closer.  With DTV, I would be limited to 2 TV sets, while with cable I get 2 sets with digital cable, plus unlimited TVs with analog cable (channels 2-100).  I also get more HD channels than with DTV.  And people always forget to factor in the upfront cost of DTV equipment in their price.  A DTV HD box is $500?  You would need to own that box for 3.5 years to break even vs cable.

Show me a DTV HD box for $500. They're not that expensive (sans HD-TiVo, which is still in the early-adopter phase). Over the past 6+ years, I've spent $200 on equipment. That's only $2.78/month. My parents are paying Adelphia $3/month for their remote control alone... In fact, DirecTV gave me (and some others, such as LA) a dish upgrade, HD receiver, multiswitch, and installation for $99 last year. Since I wasn't ready for HD yet, I turned around and sold the receiver for $350 -- which means I've actually made $50 overall (paid $200 for my equipment, plus an extra $99 for the HD, minus the $350 I sold it for).

The other advantage (IMHO) is that I *own* the hardware. That means I can do whatever I want to it. Want to hack my TiVo to increase storage space? No problem. Want to add an ethernet adapter to it? No problem. Can't do that with cable because it's not your box. I realize that could be a disadvantage for some though.

For the $71/mo, you get two receivers, not two TV sets. Each receiver has two outputs, so you could (if you had the proper wiring) output to 4 sets. However, both of the outputs must output the same thing. Then again, you could get 4 receivers and still be paying $2/mo less than cable.

Some cable companies offer more HD, some don't. Most have inferior picture quality on their channels though. Rarely do you hear anybody saying that they get better PQ from their cable provider.

The *only* way I've seen cable come out competitive in price is when they (illegally IMHO) "bundle" their broadband and cable TV. There's been some investigations into it (specifically some politician in California was probing it a year or two ago), but I havn't heard anything recently. I doubt anything will come out of it, but it's still pretty sleazy of them. Note that they *never* give you a discount on cable TV, it's *always* on broadband only.

Not to worry, soon the electric company will be providing broadband.

CW

I have Dish Network. You get all of the equipment for free including HD boxes or PVR's. I get the top 100, locals, 9 HBO's, about 9 Cinemax channels, and about 6 HD channels plus HD locals OTA for $71 a month. Verizon DSL costs me $30.

Cable would be about $125 including HD and Powerlink.

The biggest difference to me is that ALL of the Dish channels are digital. Cable talks about Digital cable etc, but channels 2-100 are analog and look like sh-- on a big screen tv.

Plus, the cable rates go up at least once a year. The Dish rates don't go up too often.

I have Dish Network on 2 TV's with the mid-level package and 7 HBO's . I pay in the mid $50's. Comes with Sirius Satellite Radio, which I love.

I'm not worried about having 16 TV's hooked up to cable. That's usually a red flag that a healthy household lifestyle isn't happening.

With all apologies to Harriet.......

I just looked at my TWCNY bill to see the impact of some recent additions to my cable service.  I almost had a stroke when I added up the numbers.  Since we got HDTV we added the HD package (which sucks ass I might add) but we have ZERO premium services. 

The cost for TWC has gotten absolutely ridiculous.  Half the fricken channels on "digital cable" aren't digital and the other half are unwatchable.  We also just found out that the freaking rates are going up AGAIN!!!

I'm keeping Road Runner but they can take their DVR and their recievers and their digital phone service (which sounds good if you live in a submarine) and stuff them up their digitally enhanced butts.

I knew when they built their beautiful new offices in Syracuse that we'd be getting hosed soon.  :D

Anyone have specific preferences on DirectTV, Dish Network or Voom?

152417[/snapback]

I am a long time DTV subscriber. Paid $1200 for it when it first came out. Was spending more than that in the bars of DC watching the games, so was a good investment.

My two cents, investigate all the options. I know DTV now offers 4 rooms set up with a tivo for ZERO install or up front. You will have a one commitment, but search around and look for deals. If your into HD, go to www.antennaweb.org to see if you can get signals Over the Air for HD before deciding on going with any of the satellite providers. If not into HD, than no worries. My bill (outside of the ticket and cenetr ice) is $64, that includes 3 sets, two tivos(one hd, which is faboulous BTW), total choice with locals and HBO.

I pay $110 per month for two digital cable boxes, HBO and Road Runner. I want to get Digital Phone b/c it would reduce my bills but they don't offer it in my area yet.

This is set to go up the first of the year and TWC comes out and says "people need to bundle." Well what if you live in an area that you don't offer the bundling in????

Jackasses have a monopoly.

Well, since you live in Syracuse, I'm guessing you won't need the NFL Sunday Ticket to watch Bills games.  That said, you may want to check into Dish Network.  I hear they offer a lot of what DirecTV does and their prices are pretty good.

152427[/snapback]

Thats odd because cable has been proven to cost more?

For digital cable with ALL channels plus high speed..150$ By the way on digital cable on channels 100 and above are digital

Direc TV all channels 91$ (All digital!) Bell south high speed 39.00 (extreme is same as cable

130$ for the package plus a 10% discount for bundle 117$ all digital stations, good internet and more channels.. I have every fox sports channel including Empire and can get the Sunday ticket every year. They usually cut me a deal and five me 3 months free when I buy the ticket too boot!

Dish is nearly identical in price and quality the difference is no Sunday ticket.

does it matter how many rooms you want set up? I thought with satellite you pay extra per room (for each receiver and also extra for TIVO service and maybe even HD on each) but with cable you don't have to pay extra. I could envision a scenario where for one room system would be cheaper with satellite but 4 rooms with cable?

does it matter how many rooms you want set up?  I thought with satellite you pay extra per room (for each receiver and also extra for TIVO service and maybe even HD on each) but with cable you don't have to pay extra.  I could envision a scenario where for one room system would be cheaper with satellite but 4 rooms with cable?

153776[/snapback]

Not 100% true. You will pay for each reciever($4.99 each), however not for tivo or hd, only one charge for each of these no matter how many tivos or how recievers

Not 100% true. You will pay for each reciever($4.99 each), however not for tivo or hd, only one charge for each of these no matter how many tivos or how recievers

153787[/snapback]

thanks!

Show me a DTV HD box for $500.  They're not that expensive (sans HD-TiVo, which is still in the early-adopter phase).  Over the past 6+ years, I've spent $200 on equipment.  That's only $2.78/month.  My parents are paying Adelphia $3/month for their remote control alone...  In fact, DirecTV gave me (and some others, such as LA) a dish upgrade, HD receiver, multiswitch, and installation for $99 last year.  Since I wasn't ready for HD yet, I turned around and sold the receiver for $350 -- which means I've actually made $50 overall (paid $200 for my equipment, plus an extra $99 for the HD, minus the $350 I sold it for).

The other advantage (IMHO) is that I *own* the hardware.  That means I can do whatever I want to it.  Want to hack my TiVo to increase storage space?  No problem.  Want to add an ethernet adapter to it?  No problem.  Can't do that with cable because it's not your box.  I realize that could be a disadvantage for some though.

For the $71/mo, you get two receivers, not two TV sets.  Each receiver has two outputs, so you could (if you had the proper wiring) output to 4 sets.  However, both of the outputs must output the same thing.  Then again, you could get 4 receivers and still be paying $2/mo less than cable.

Some cable companies offer more HD, some don't.  Most have inferior picture quality on their channels though.  Rarely do you hear anybody saying that they get better PQ from their cable provider.

The *only* way I've seen cable come out competitive in price is when they (illegally IMHO) "bundle" their broadband and cable TV.  There's been some investigations into it (specifically some politician in California was probing it a year or two ago), but I havn't heard anything recently.  I doubt anything will come out of it, but it's still pretty sleazy of them.  Note that they *never* give you a discount on cable TV, it's *always* on broadband only.

Not to worry, soon the electric company will be providing broadband.

CW

152831[/snapback]

Dayton Ohio. Currently subscribe to TWC (they offered a 50% discounted on their Digi 2000 package that includes two premium movie channels). The cost was initially 59.95 plus tax and when the 50% discount was applied I was around $31 to $32/mo. Just this week, I received notice that this package has been "enhanced" and will now cost $69.95/mo plus taxes (before discount). My viewing is mainly football, and movies but when this year is up, out goes the cable again. Far inferior PQ than that I get from the satellites (still subscribe to DTV - Sunday Ticket only). As for broadband, I've just recently gone to Verizon DSL for 29.95/mo, first month free. Not bad. Roadrunner here has been losing a number of users to the newly offered (in my area) verizon DSL. Biggest complaints with TWC & Roadrunner here is that it goes down far too often and the speeds are no where near what they advertise.

Fez - what's the word on the power line broadband trials? Cincinnati was running one for a while now, but haven't heard anything on it lately. Read about it initially in PC World, but that was a while back and nothing new since.