Holy crap, I'm paying $85 for cable!

The package I have is 120 channels, 20 radio music channel and 50 Sirius music channels for $34.99 month.

Can you get the serius channels in your car as well if you buy a receiver? Or would you need a separate subscription for that?

CW

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guide should have the games listed on both channels; I think the 701-704 actually say "Enhanced" at the end of the title as well.

If you had a DirecTV/TiVo, you should be able to setup a wishlist for Bills games that don't have the word enhanced in them, but I can't remember if "not" is a searchable option with the TiVo.

CW

152549[/snapback]

I really pay very little attention. I'm happy to have what I have for 36 bucks a month plus the 190 for Sunday Ticket. I don't use the movie channels and don't have HD, though. Don't watch TV enough. I'm sure that would make a big difference. An interception to me is an interception, whether it's HDTV or not.

Fez,

When was the last time you looked at Voom?  I checked their site and they not seem to have a "cable favorites" option.  They've also got a package right now so you no longer have to buy the equipment.  They've also got 21 HD channels!  I wish I knew someone who was using them.

152558[/snapback]

Havn't in awhile, but just did not after reading your post.

Key things to note:

Your local channels are gained OTA:

"With VOOM's included digital antenna, you can access digital and HD broadcasts of your favorite shows."

You can get the same thing for Dish or DirecGV; if you live close enough to a tower, you can get the locals. If you don't, you won't be able to get them.

DirecTV offers some HD locals if you live in an O&O (owned and operated) area. Not sure where to find the list, but I know that CBS in Minneapolis is O&O, so I can get HD CBS from DirecTV if I want for free. Not sure aboutthe others...

Looking at the cable channels they list, I wihs there was a way to get more info on their site. I'm wondering if they only broadcast the HD events and everything's black otherwise, or if they upconvert. Hard to tell on their site. Can't even find a list of networks that they have...

I find the music channels worthless (on cable, DirecTV, whatever). If I'm home, I'll listen to my own music. The Sirius stuff on Dish sounds intriguing though.

I think Voom is a very niche product still. If you're an HD enthusiast, you'll probably love it. Otherwise, probably not. Check http://www.avsforum.com -- I'm sure there's plenty of Voom info there, and you can probably talk with people who have it to get a more informed answer (since I've never seen it before myself. <_< ).

CW

I really pay very little attention. I'm happy to have what I have for 36 bucks a month plus the 190 for Sunday Ticket. I don't use the movie channels and don't have HD, though. Don't watch TV enough. I'm sure that would make a big difference. An interception to me is an interception, whether it's HDTV or not.

152604[/snapback]

The TiVo isn't HD. The TiVo lets you automatically record things (such as Bills games), watch two shows (or games) at once. It's tough to explain the benefit until you've used it, but for $5/month, it's a nobrainer for most. It's literally changed our lives, as we no longer care if we get home on time to watch a show, we can eat dinner at the table no matter what time we both get home, when we're driving back from Green Bay I don't have to worry about missing the first quarter of the Bills game on Sunday, etc, etc. The best is looking at replays during the Bills games, since the networks don't show good replays all the time. During a commercial I can pop back to look if it was a good call, good catch, etc, and then go back to live and not miss anything. Definately worth the $5/month for us.

CW

The TiVo isn't HD.  The TiVo lets you automatically record things (such as Bills games), watch two shows (or games) at once.  It's tough to explain the benefit until you've used it, but for $5/month, it's a nobrainer for most.  It's literally changed our lives, as we no longer care if we get home on time to watch a show, we can eat dinner at the table no matter what time we both get home, when we're driving back from Green Bay I don't have to worry about missing the first quarter of the Bills game on Sunday, etc, etc.  The best is looking at replays during the Bills games, since the networks don't show good replays all the time.  During a commercial I can pop back to look if it was a good call, good catch, etc, and then go back to live and not miss anything.  Definately worth the $5/month for us.

CW

152611[/snapback]

TIVO freakin' rules and anybody who doesn't have it should get it, period.

I knew Keyshawn didn't catch that TD long before Al Michaels' said anything about it. The Tivo doesn't lie.

The biggest problem in comparing cable rates to DBS is trying to line up the packages. At the end of the day, the cost difference will not be that big, especially for the services that many people like. You may actually pay more in many cases, especially after factoring in cable modem discounts.

My cable service is $83/mo. A comparable package from DTV would cost $71/mo. Sounds good, right? But let's look closer. With DTV, I would be limited to 2 TV sets, while with cable I get 2 sets with digital cable, plus unlimited TVs with analog cable (channels 2-100). I also get more HD channels than with DTV. And people always forget to factor in the upfront cost of DTV equipment in their price. A DTV HD box is $500? You would need to own that box for 3.5 years to break even vs cable.

At the end of the day, your personal preference will win.

Can you get the serius channels in your car as well if you buy a receiver?  Or would you need a separate subscription for that?

CW

152597[/snapback]

I think you need a seperate subscription for that. They are just the music channels nothing sports or talk related. Go check out www.dishnetwork.com for more info.

TIVO freakin' rules and anybody who doesn't have it should get it, period.

I knew Keyshawn didn't catch that TD long before Al Michaels' said anything about it.  The Tivo doesn't lie.

152619[/snapback]

Well, you're rich and successful. I'm not. I'm a poor young country boy.

Can you get the serius channels in your car as well if you buy a receiver?  Or would you need a separate subscription for that?

CW

152597[/snapback]

You would need a subscription and equipment for your car. Sirius just provides their music channels to Dish. They're up in the #6000 channel range.