Holy crap, I'm paying $85 for cable!

With all apologies to Harriet.......

I just looked at my TWCNY bill to see the impact of some recent additions to my cable service. I almost had a stroke when I added up the numbers. Since we got HDTV we added the HD package (which sucks ass I might add) but we have ZERO premium services.

The cost for TWC has gotten absolutely ridiculous. Half the fricken channels on "digital cable" aren't digital and the other half are unwatchable. We also just found out that the freaking rates are going up AGAIN!!!

I'm keeping Road Runner but they can take their DVR and their recievers and their digital phone service (which sounds good if you live in a submarine) and stuff them up their digitally enhanced butts.

I knew when they built their beautiful new offices in Syracuse that we'd be getting hosed soon. :blink:

Anyone have specific preferences on DirectTV, Dish Network or Voom?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But...but...the dish people say the dish is cheaper than cable. What gives?

152436[/snapback]

well, it is....if you dont' get your locals. And if you don't get their expanded package. And if you don't get a TiVo set. Not to mention the NFL and NHL tickets, annualized etc...etc...

You dont want to know how much I pay with Adelphia -

HD package

DVR

PowerStink

HBO Package

$115.00 a month :blink::devil:;):P:P:lol::doh:

I would *LOVE* to remove the cable out of the equation and just keep Powerlink, but Powerlink alone is I think about $55.00 + what DTV would cost so I am back at square 1...

Mike,

You don't want VOOM; all they have is HD, so there aren't many channels. (if that's what you wanted, you would already know, as it's very niche right now).

Between Dish and DirecTV, I (obviously) prefer DirecTV. I'll list some pros and cons of both, since they're both better than cable:

DirecTV pros:

MUCH better hardware

Sunday Ticket

Best customer service

Cheaper than cable

DirecTV/TiVo unit (this goes with better hardware I guess)

The most HD (next to Voom)

Dish pros:

Cheaper than cable and DirecTV

That's about it. One of my coworkers has Dish and likes it, but he doesn't watch TV much; I think he's only paying $25-$30/month though, so it's worth it to him. There's not (last I checked) much HD on Dish although that may have changed recently. Keep in mind that the HD package for DirecTV is an extra $12/month. Rather steep for the number of channels you get, but then again HD is still in early adopter phase so you learn to live with it...

To the person saying that DirecTV cost more than cable, I found your answer funny. "It's cheaper than cable until you start adding things like HD, TiVo, extended packages, NFL Ticket etc." Umm, I'd bet that if you compared prices between Cable and DirecTV that DTV would be cheaper EACH and EVERY time if you compared apples to apples. There may be a few cable companies around that are cheaper, but I havn't seen one yet. Total Choice with locals is only $39.99/month. Comcast here (again, two years ago when I last looked) was roughly $55/month for less channels. TiVo is a bargain at only $5/month. My monthly bill with two (TiVo) receivers is only $51 -- and that's with Total Choice Plus (not the base package) with locals, TiVo, and two receivers. (Sunday Ticket is already paid off for this year, but was $179 this past season).

It's a no-brainer to ditch cable for either Dish or DirecTV IMHO; the only way it's cheaper is if they increase their broadband cost to try forcing you to get both; my broadband is $65/month, but would only be $49/month if I had cable. My company pays my broadband and since they know how much I hate the cable company, they agreed to pay the whole thing, instead of just $50/month (my boss said, "If you were paying for it, you'd get lifeline cable for $7/month to get your broadband for only $50/month, thus saving $8/month, wouldn't you?" I looked him in the eye and said, "No way in hell would I boost Comcast's subscriber numbers." He wasn't expecting that answer, so agreed to pay the whole monthly bill for me). I wish they had DSL available in this area... :blink:

CW

I have Direct TV and like it very much.

152426[/snapback]

Ditto. Best deal going, IMO-and Sunday Ticket too.

EXCEPT....

That "enhanced" stuff. How do you get rid of it if you don't want it? All the scores from all the other games are a distraction, and takes a quarter of the available picture away. Anyone watching a Bills game probably could give a rats ass how New Orleans is doing.

Ditto. Best deal going, IMO-and Sunday Ticket too.

EXCEPT....

That "enhanced" stuff. How do you get rid of it if you don't want it? All the scores from all the other games are a distraction, and takes a quarter of the available picture away. Anyone watching a Bills game probably could give a rats ass how New Orleans is doing.

152465[/snapback]

Don't watch the enhanced channels then... Al of the games are on regular as well. The first 4 (?) channels (701-705?) are "enhanced," and I think it's rather lame; someone must be watching them though... If you look below that, you'll find the non-enhanced version on a different channel.

CW

Comcast - digital cable with HBO, Starz, Cinemax, On Demand (but not every channel - no Showtime, Sundance, Movie Channel).

Two cable modems with internet access.

$171 per month.

It's freakin' obscene.

152477[/snapback]

Ummm, why do you have two cable modems??? You can share one account (and be MUCH more secure in the process!) by buying one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...e&s=pc&n=507846

(or something similar). They take 5 minutes to setup. Even my little sister did it, and she doesn't know much about computers.

CW

well, it is....if you dont' get your locals. And if you don't get their expanded package. And if you don't get a TiVo set. Not to mention the NFL and NHL tickets, annualized etc...etc...

152443[/snapback]

i dont pay extra for my local channels with DirecTV... i dont think anyone does, actually.

I like DTV so much better than cable that I pay for DTV and adelphia highspeed seperatly.

Don't watch the enhanced channels then...  Al of the games are on regular as well.  The first 4 (?) channels (701-705?) are "enhanced," and I think it's rather lame; someone must be watching them though...  If you look below that, you'll find the non-enhanced version on a different channel.

CW

152476[/snapback]

Thanks. I went by the guide instead of surfed.

i dont pay extra for my local channels with DirecTV... i dont think anyone does, actually.

I like DTV so much better than cable that I pay for DTV and adelphia highspeed seperatly.

152489[/snapback]

Locals cost me about 4 bucks a month here in DC. There's about 15 Channels. Maybe six in english.

Thanks. I went by the guide instead of surfed.

152491[/snapback]

The guide should have the games listed on both channels; I think the 701-704 actually say "Enhanced" at the end of the title as well.

If you had a DirecTV/TiVo, you should be able to setup a wishlist for Bills games that don't have the word enhanced in them, but I can't remember if "not" is a searchable option with the TiVo.

CW

Mike,

You don't want VOOM; all they have is HD, so there aren't many channels.  (if that's what you wanted, you would already know, as it's very niche right now).

Between Dish and DirecTV, I (obviously) prefer DirecTV.  I'll list some pros and cons of both, since they're both better than cable:

DirecTV pros:

MUCH better hardware

Sunday Ticket

Best customer service

Cheaper than cable

DirecTV/TiVo unit (this goes with better hardware I guess)

The most HD (next to Voom)

Dish pros:

Cheaper than cable and DirecTV

That's about it.  One of my coworkers has Dish and likes it, but he doesn't watch TV much; I think he's only paying $25-$30/month though, so it's worth it to him.  There's not (last I checked) much HD on Dish although that may have changed recently.  Keep in mind that the HD package for DirecTV is an extra $12/month.  Rather steep for the number of channels you get, but then again HD is still in early adopter phase so you learn to live with it...

To the person saying that DirecTV cost more than cable, I found your answer funny.  "It's cheaper than cable until you start adding things like HD, TiVo, extended packages, NFL Ticket etc."  Umm, I'd bet that if you compared prices between Cable and DirecTV that DTV would be cheaper EACH and EVERY time if you compared apples to apples.  There may be a few cable companies around that are cheaper, but I havn't seen one yet.  Total Choice with locals is only $39.99/month.  Comcast here (again, two years ago when I last looked) was roughly $55/month for less channels.  TiVo is a bargain at only $5/month.  My monthly bill with two (TiVo) receivers is only $51 -- and that's with Total Choice Plus (not the base package) with locals, TiVo, and two receivers.  (Sunday Ticket is already paid off for this year, but was $179 this past season).

It's a no-brainer to ditch cable for either Dish or DirecTV IMHO; the only way it's cheaper is if they increase their broadband cost to try forcing you to get both; my broadband is $65/month, but would only be $49/month if I had cable.  My company pays my broadband and since they know how much I hate the cable company, they agreed to pay the whole thing, instead of just $50/month (my boss said, "If you were paying for it, you'd get lifeline cable for $7/month to get your broadband for only $50/month, thus saving $8/month, wouldn't you?"  I looked him in the eye and said, "No way in hell would I boost Comcast's subscriber numbers."  He wasn't expecting that answer, so agreed to pay the whole monthly bill for me).  I wish they had DSL available in this area... :blink:

CW

152460[/snapback]

Fez,

When was the last time you looked at Voom? I checked their site and they not seem to have a "cable favorites" option. They've also got a package right now so you no longer have to buy the equipment. They've also got 21 HD channels! I wish I knew someone who was using them.

Ummm, why do you have two cable modems???  You can share one account (and be MUCH more secure in the process!) by buying one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...e&s=pc&n=507846

(or something similar).  They take 5 minutes to setup.  Even my little sister did it, and she doesn't know much about computers.

CW

152480[/snapback]

We have two of those, but I appreciate the suggestion. One of my roommates insisted on having his own connection (the other one and I share the second connection using the router). It still boggles my mind when I look at that bill every month. I'd love a more a la carte way to set up my cable so I'm not throwing monthly money at channels that I will never, ever, ever, ever watch in my lifetime.

I've been a Dish customer for 8 years and love it. But that said I do wish they had Sunday Ticket. The only reason I got Dish was back then it was around three hundred bucks for the equipment and they were running a special to get everything for free.

The package I have is 120 channels, 20 radio music channel and 50 Sirius music channels for $34.99 month. On all of the dish packages if you pay by the year you get a month free. Their most expensive package with everything they offer is $77.99 month. That comes with 31 movie channels. I don't think theres a cable company in the country that could come close to that price for 220+ channels and HBO,Showtime,Cinemax and Starz.

If I couldn't have either Direct TV or Dish I would just sell my TV. I wouldn't pay a penny to the lousy cable companies. They just suck. Just my two cents...