Stupid Maybin Question?

Be Kind, don't slam me, just a thought to try to stimulate some conversation. It's been a long 10 years. It just seem like an aweful waste giving up on Maybin after 19 months. Think there's any chance of coverting this guy to a tight end? I know this will never happen, but it Monday after a Bills loss. There are worse things I could be doing. I never watched him in college, but from what I understand he a speed guy, pretty gifted as an athlete, knows how to get off a block and get up field. No stranger to playing in the trenches. Seems to be tall in that 245-250 range. We could use another tight end. Honestly, I have no idea what his hands are like, or how gifted of athlete he really is. I've heard of tights ends being covert to defensive ends, we all know the basketball player stories when it comes to tight end. Please be kind. Remember, I want what you want.

Be Kind, don't slam me, just a thought to try to stimulate some conversation. It's been a long 10 years. It just seem like an aweful waste giving up on Maybin after 19 months. Think there's any chance of coverting this guy to a tight end? I know this will never happen, but it Monday after a Bills loss. There are worse things I could be doing. I never watched him in college, but from what I understand he a speed guy, pretty gifted as an athlete, knows how to get off a block and get up field. No stranger to playing in the trenches. Seems to be tall in that 245-250 range. We could use another tight end. Honestly, I have no idea what his hands are like, or how gifted of athlete he really is. I've heard of tights ends being covert to defensive ends, we all know the basketball player stories when it comes to tight end. Please be kind. Remember, I want what you want.

:w00t::blink::angry::doh::wallbash::censored:

I don't know if its feesible or not but I'm all for anything that will get use out of this guy. He won't bring any trade value. The only thing that bothers me is they won't even use him on Special Teams. If he's such a gifted athlete why haven't they been able to make use of him on ST?

Notice what I said, he knows how to get off a block and get up the field, I didn't say anything about him being able to get up the field and turn the corner.

He's generally laying on his back once a starting NFL tackle gets his hands on him. Put him at wide receiver, he may have better luck against corner backs. At least they are his size.

The Maybin pick is just another example in a long line of colossal busts in Tom Modrak's tenure with the Bills. I don't care if Jauron pushed for him, when you've got Orakpo and Oher on the board, you go with a proven.

I was speaking to a friend of mine down here in DC who just so happens to be a Redskins fan (go figure), and we got to talking about it. He watches more college football than I do, and asked me what were the Bills thinking by drafting Maybin? Nobody heard of him coming out of college, but everybody knew Orakpo.

I had no answer, because there is no answer besides pure stupidity.

Like drafting Whitner instead of Ngata.

Not beating Miami for the services of DE Cameron Wake.

Letting Pat Williams, London Fletcher, and Antoine Winfield walk...

Maybe its me, but I think there is a big false believe around here that Maybin is actually atheltic. yea he is more athletic than me, but by NFL standards I dont believe he is at all. He has no agility and is stiff. His top gear is slow. He seems to have one step in one direction from a track stance. When he has to stop and change direction its a lot slower than most. A total bust that was obvious before it happened.

Just cut him. Did anyone notice how much more pressure Moats generated?

How can you blame Buffalo for not signing Wake? He probably chose to play in Miami instead of Buffalo. Not exactly a hard choice to make. If I remember correctly they did bring him in for a visit.

The Maybin pick is just another example in a long line of colossal busts in Tom Modrak's tenure with the Bills. I don't care if Jauron pushed for him, when you've got Orakpo and Oher on the board, you go with a proven.

I was speaking to a friend of mine down here in DC who just so happens to be a Redskins fan (go figure), and we got to talking about it. He watches more college football than I do, and asked me what were the Bills thinking by drafting Maybin? Nobody heard of him coming out of college, but everybody knew Orakpo.

The answer is easy. Scheme.

Granted, to a fault but what do all of those have in common - cover 2.

The bills were looking for a dwight freeney, Simeon rice, etc not a bigger end.

The bills wanted a safety like bob sanders and penetrating undersized tackles, not a 350 lbs'er

Wake is playing olb in a 3-4 and we were selling him de in a c2. Not to mention, all things equal, I'd rather be 25 and rich in Miami.

We drafted need for a scheme instead of bpa and scheming around a stable of elite talents. The scheme was out of place and now we have a gang of misfits leftover.

You guys are slamming the OP.

It is a very naive view of the NFL. Players play for years in their positions and to converting players is very rarely done in the NFL.

George Wilson, Devin Hester, and Troy Brown off the top of the head; and there probably not much more in the modern NFL.

Looking at Maybin (6-4 250{yeah right}) and Shawn Nelson (6-5, 240) they have very similar builds.

On a scale of crazy from 1-100, with 100 being batshit crazy, I'd say this is a 75.

Definitely crazy, but hey he is under contract why not see if he has any hands, and can pick up a blitz. If he's not working at DE and can catch why not give it a spin before you cut him next year.

George Wilson being a good Safety is probably an 80 on the crazy scale.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

Here's a crazier thought provoking even more derision: Maybe something will click in this 22 year old kid and he'll realize his NFL future depends on him growing a pair and doing something different. Maybe he'll show SOMETHING someday.

I'm a firm believer than football players show on day 1 like Pat Wms, Biscuit, Conlan, etc., but maybe this useless POS will show some upside. Put another way, the Bills are stuck with him and will give him at least 10 more opportunities than he has shown that he deserves and that prob includes all of next year.

Notice what I said, he knows how to get off a block and get up the field, I didn't say anything about him being able to get up the field and turn the corner.

The only way he knows how to get off a block is to get thrown by the OL. I have no idea where you are coming up with this "he knows how to get off a block and get up the field" garbage, it makes no sense.

THE BILLS TRIED, HE CHOSE MIAMI INSTEAD

Well to be a TE, the most important skill he will need to have is just a small one I guess, its called BEING ABLE TO CATCH THE BALL

No one knows if he can do this at all, so lets hold off on thinking he's an option at TE just because he might look physically like one

He better be willing to rework his contract or else he'll be getting paid better than guys who can actually play the position like Antonio Gates, Todd Heap, Dallas Clark, Jeremy Shockey, etc. :death:

Edited by MattyT