How did we get worse?

Dorkington

Doesn't gutted usually mean "got rid of the worst" or "got rid of everybody", at least? Other than Schobel, the defense is has been "gutted" of talent since last year? An special teams bears no resemblence to the roster from last year?

Special teams, no.

As for defense, you're right, same scheme, same players, my bad.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer lies on the other side of the ball: the pathetic, and worsening, defense.

As porous as our 4-3 D was last year, it's even lamer this year because of Gailey & company's decision to switch to the 3-4. That may pay dividends in the long run. But given the personnel they inherited, it is baffling that they did so little to make the transition. A 3-4 needs LBs who can rush the passer and cover and a space-eating NT. We had none of the above, and the Bills' (evidently-lobotomized) Brain Trust did almost nothing in FA or the draft to address those needs.

So, as angry as we all get watching Kelsay flounder 8-yards behind the opposing team's TEs and RBs, it's not his fault that the coaches put him in a position he is biologically and temperamentally unsuited for. It's like entering a bloodhound in a greyhound race and expecting him to compete. Ain't gonna happen.

That's also why Ralph's pleas for "patience" ring so hollow. We've already endured a 10-year playoff drought, yet the people we're supposed to put our faith in don't seem to have a plan - unless you're one of the conspiracy theorists who believe they intentionally tried to engineer a winless season to nab the top pick in the draft.

Personally, I fear that the problem isn't that the folks in the Bills front office don't have a plan; it's that they - like their owner - don't seem to have a clue.

The run D was bad last season, but the pass D was pretty efing good. In comes George Edwards and the entire D falls off a cliff wrapped in chains and encased in cement. The defense is THE biggest problem on this team. Wrong scheme for these players.

There was NO point in switching to a 3-4 without having 3-4 players. Now they're going to have to go GET some 3-4 players and then it'll be (at least) another year before that group can jell, and of course by that time, they will have fired George Edwards and they will start all over again.

I wish Fewell had retained the job and they instead had brought in Gailey as OC. Fewell was the perfect fit as our head coach. Young, smart, passionate about the game and he wanted the job. Gailey has out and out fubared the defense.

+1

I thought the same thing.

There was no reason to name Gailey head coach. We should have just name him offensive co-ordinator. He was 3-4 with this same team and had us in every game. He's not Vince Lombardi but is Gailey?

Although I'm beginning to think AVP was a better offensive co-ordinator too.

The run D was bad last season, but the pass D was pretty efing good. In comes George Edwards and the entire D falls off a cliff wrapped in chains and encased in cement. The defense is THE biggest problem on this team. Wrong scheme for these players.

There was NO point in switching to a 3-4 without having 3-4 players. Now they're going to have to go GET some 3-4 players and then it'll be (at least) another year before that group can jell, and of course by that time, they will have fired George Edwards and they will start all over again.

Totally agree. The 3-4 defense this year is just as stupid and ill-fated as last year's no-huddle offensive disaster. Doomed for failure.

HEre is what Tim Graham said

The Bills have one weird offense. Let's try to figure this one out ... The Bills rank fourth in the league and second in the AFC in yards gained on first down at 6.3 a pop. They rank fifth in average gained per rush at 4.8 yards. Ryan Fitzpatrick has a 99.9 passer rating. Only two teams have committed fewer penalties. So how in the world do the Bills rank 31st in third-down conversions? The NFL doesn't cull stats specifically for second down, but something must be going on there. Have the Bills been skipping straight from first down to third down and nobody has noticed?

Full Story http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/20442/final-word-afc-east-22

Totally agree. The 3-4 defense this year is just as stupid and ill-fated as last year's no-huddle offensive disaster. Doomed for failure.

Horribly thought out and virtually unplanned for. You can't make a hamburger into a porterhouse, no matter what you do.

Who ever told you we have better coaching was lying to your face. Gailey has screwed up everything he has done so far and Edwards is so far over his head as D-Coordinator he is drowning. That is why we are worse.

What gets me is how long it takes for some fans to realize what happened when Ralph Wilson promoted a 70 year old director of college scouting to GM last year, Wilson keeps trying to find another Bill Polian.

One bad choice for GM, Buddy Nix then hires an a bad choice for HC who was fired in his last job as OC, and he hires a bunch of college coaches....one bad decision leads to another, and another and another

bad gm- bad free agents- bad draft- bad coaching =bad team

"How did we get worse?"

Bills didn't resign Ko Simpson. Guy was worth millions! :rolleyes:

I think the Bills started their slide into bottom feeder football when they hired Marv Levy as GM who of course hired DJ. Sure, TD was bad, but by now those Levy drafts should be paying dividends. Yet, they're left with almost nothing from 2 draft classes: Whitner, Williams, and Posluzny. Three starters from the two drafts supposed to have started the last attempt at rebuilding. And even after Marv left, the 08 and 09 draft were underwhelming.

I think the Bills started their slide into bottom feeder football when they hired Marv Levy as GM who of course hired DJ. Sure, TD was bad, but by now those Levy drafts should be paying dividends. Yet, they're left with almost nothing from 2 draft classes: Whitner, Williams, and Posluzny. Three starters from the two drafts supposed to have started the last attempt at rebuilding. And even after Marv left, the 08 and 09 draft were underwhelming.

Actually, I'd suggest that the slide started with TD. It was Marv's drafts that solidified the bottom feeder status for years to come. It would be nice to say there's light at the end of the tunnel, but 1 draft in... color me less than impressed. So either this ship gets righted in a couple of years... or 6-8. We'll see how some of these picks turn out in a year or so.

yes cuz breaking the bank on FA market always works, just ask the skins, oh wait they drafted in front of us last year. Some of you just dont get that big name FA wont come here cuz it is too bad, The bills have to draft good for a few years, get some respect back then the Big names will be willing to come here, I seen someone saying we should have signed Peppers, your our of your freaking mind if you think he would even interview with the bills as bad as it has been here, we are not contenders, so the big names will not come here. Only exception is we could do what the skins did with there backup DT and pay him a 100 million to ride the bench, that seems to be working out well.

Actually, I'd suggest that the slide started with TD. It was Marv's drafts that solidified the bottom feeder status for years to come. It would be nice to say there's light at the end of the tunnel, but 1 draft in... color me less than impressed. So either this ship gets righted in a couple of years... or 6-8. We'll see how some of these picks turn out in a year or so.

TD made some bad picks, but he also provided the Marv/DJ/Smithers regime with most all of their best players: Clements, Schobel, McGahee, McGee, Peters, Fletcher, and Evans. It's been so long since the front office was even mediocre drafting that people forget that there were some decent picks from 01-05. Not saying TD was great or even average, but the drafting from 06-09 is so bad it makes TD look good.

And for the record, it's been 5+ years since TD ran a draft. If the team can't recover after 6 off-seasons, the problem runs deeper than most realize at OBD. How can anyone trust RW to make choose the right people to run an organization that's 0 for 2 this decade in rebuilds? Color me doubtful on a 92 year old man knowing what he's doing in the NFL of 2010.