Ski trip help

WWVaBeach

Mrs WWVaBeach and I are thinking about going to either Colorado or Utah for a 5 day ski trip in December. If any of you have ever been we'd appreciate any tips or recommendations. The only real research we've done so far is for Winter Park in Co.

I think you should go to Deer Valley. It is my favorite mountain out west. The mountain only allows skiers which means no annoying snowboards. They also limit the amount of skiers per day so it does not get that busy on the mountain. Last time I was there it snowed 5 feet in five days so there was always fresh powder on the runs. Park City is also near Deer Valley so if you want to switch it up one day you can. I had a real fun time while I was there. I got a lesson everyday so I could go on the back bowls without my parents worrying.

Im going to Beaver Creak in January. I wanted to go to Deer Valley, but my parents like Beaver Creak better. I have never been there so i have no opinion.

Mrs WWVaBeach and I are thinking about going to either Colorado or Utah for a 5 day ski trip in December. If any of you have ever been we'd appreciate any tips or recommendations. The only real research we've done so far is for Winter Park in Co.

So i have been to Beaver Creek, Vail and Breckinridge in CO, and Park City in Utah. All a little different. Breck a cool little town , while Vail and Beaver Creek more of a Disney feel to them. Having said that, Beaver Creek was great for us with the two kids(age 7-9 at the time).Would go back to any in a heartbeat .

Loved Park City, more comparable to Breck. I will say the advantage to Utah is Park City is way closer to the Salt Lake airport than the the three CO resorts. Now, I had a good friend go to Steamboat last year as they could fly directly to Steamboat, but they have two kids as well and steamboat is known as a family resort.

If you are ambitious skiers, Jackson Hole WY is great as well, and you can fly directly into there as well.

Now, we use this site all the time to find lodging, especially witht he kids. We like ski in/ski out, with place where i can take my socks off and lounge at lunch, and with two kids , we prefer condos over hotels.

This site list owners renting their places direct, so like Geico you are taking out the middle man.

http://www.vrbo.com/

I generally tend to wait on booking a place till about a week before and then negoitiate for the asking price. After all, some money is better than nothing for the owners.My wife panics all the time, but we have always found a place. Only place we do hotel is at Beaver Creek, as there really are no condos ski in/ski out, only 5 bedrooms homes.

Edited by plenzmd1

God, I haven't gone skiing in years.....

But, if I was going, I would only go to one place,

Jackson Hole

Best skiing I have ever done. Better than Aspen, Steamboat Springs, and Utah skiing. I've been to a lot of places (15 years ago!) and jackson hole was the best. Scenery is just amazing too. And the town rocks as a place to hang out and have fun.

God, I haven't gone skiing in years.....

But, if I was going, I would only go to one place,

Jackson Hole

Best skiing I have ever done. Better than Aspen, Steamboat Springs, and Utah skiing. I've been to a lot of places (15 years ago!) and jackson hole was the best. Scenery is just amazing too. And the town rocks as a place to hang out and have fun.

Totally agree... One time we were there, we were the last plane to land... Sliding all over that little runway in Jackson (on American)... Couldn't see a thing. The only bummer was the snow was so bad... All they had open was Apres Vous, the first day we were there... When Rendezvous opened... The conditions were primo deep powder! That trip, the Teton pass was closed for almost a week... I heard a rumor that they couldn't find the road... Grand Targhee on the other side had to be a personal paradise if one was trapped there at that resort... Even when the pass is open... One can ski trackless powder all day.

like all the co resorts listed but no one mentioned aspen which is my fav and has 4 very different mountains on one daily pass. telluride is also awesome but hard to get to.

we've gone to tahoe the last couple years and love it. heavenly is....well, heavenly and the smaller resorts like kirkwood and homewood are awesome too. the only problem is that the place is crawling with californians yelling "dude" all over the place <_< . i've seen gambling junkets to reno with free airfare from which you could access tahoe and rose mt in reno but it never fit my schedule. would be an great deal if it worked for you. btw, there's gambling on the nv side of tahoe if you're into that.

now see several mentions of aspen...to each his own. i think it's excelllent

Edited by birdog1960

Totally agree... One time we were there, we were the last plane to land... Sliding all over that little runway in Jackson (on American)... Couldn't see a thing. The only bummer was the snow was so bad... All they had open was Apres Vous, the first day we were there... When Rendezvous opened... The conditions were primo deep powder! That trip, the Teton pass was closed for almost a week... I heard a rumor that they couldn't find the road... Grand Targhee on the other side had to be a personal paradise if one was trapped there at that resort... Even when the pass is open... One can ski trackless powder all day.

Nothing like 757 service into Jackson Hole. Best is when you are there in the summer, and they have to turn the AC off in order to have enough thrust to get up over the mountains on climb out.

Best is when you look out the windows on the approach and you can see nothing but granite!

I'd skip the whole CO/WY/UT thing... I love Banff. Fly into Calgary and rent a car and stay in Banff or Lake Louise... Especially, if the trip will be closer to spring. Who have your pick of two world class resorts in Lake Louise or Sunshine... Then you have the classic Mt. Norquay... Almost right in Banff... Or head north to Jasper and Marmot Basin. So many other things to do and see. That is where we took our honeymoon many moons ago... Started in Seattle... Headed through BC (Kelowna) onto Alberta, Banff, Jasper and back to Vancouver and Victoria... Then back to Seattle and out.

I have skied... UT, CO, and WY... And I would take BC or Alberta over them.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Only been to Breckenridge but it was amazing, easily 1000 times better than anything I've been to in the Northeast (Killington, Sunday River, etc.) A lot of the terrain was fairly easy but then you could find stuff like this:

which I did once but will be hard pressed to ever try again. On top of that the apres ski scene was pretty good too. We got a condo walkable to one of the lifts and it wasn't too pricey. As I said, I've never been anywhere else but would guaranty a good time at Breck.

Rent the movie "Frozen". Not sure if it will discourage you from skiing, but might stop you from using ski lifts again. But I guess no ski lifts=No ski. Except for cross country or maybe that extreme ski stuff where they get you to the top by helicopter. Other than this, I have no input of value in this thread.

Only been to Breckenridge but it was amazing, easily 1000 times better than anything I've been to in the Northeast (Killington, Sunday River, etc.) A lot of the terrain was fairly easy but then you could find stuff like this: youtube.com/watch?v=xXjIKvQLnl0 which I did once but will be hard pressed to ever try again. On top of that the apres ski scene was pretty good too. We got a condo walkable to one of the lifts and it wasn't too pricey. As I said, I've never been anywhere else but would guaranty a good time at Breck.

Breckenridge is nice... I was only there one time back in 1992 when BFLO beat Denver in the AFC Championship 10-7... Good times being that close to Denver!!! How can the Bills have sunken so low.:wallbash:

Still... Lake Louise will blow you away in the springtime... Winter conditions in the back bowels and spring skiing in the 50's and 60's front side... @ Sunshine... Getting the BBQ going with the fine Alberta beef!