Mike Williams played well the entire game

He was fine, the entire game. There wasnt more than a play or two that his man even made the tackle on the play. Many of them he took out two guys. His pass blocking was very good throughout. On the second sack of Bledsoe, the only play you could possibly blame him for, his man didnt even make the sack and Drew would have easily stepped up in the pocket and got the ball off if the other Colt who made the sack wasn't there. MW pushed his guy out past the pocket and he just got a forearm on Bledsoe but wouldnt have caused a sack. If yo would take the time to just key on MW and watch the whole game, every play, while he wasn't always pretty, he played a whale of a game. When he gets in shape, IMO, he will start to excel.

If Lawrence Smith is even adequate, and there are no major injuries, our line is going to be fine. Villarial is solid, jennings is good and sometimes very good. Teague, again, if you'd bother to actually watch, has been playing well. We just need them all in there at the same time.

Drew has again demonstrated what he cannot due, make quick good decisions, throw accurate short passes, and step up in the pocket to avoid the rush.

Kelly I thought Drew demonstrated a very good knack for stepping up, avoiding the rush and being accurate on short passes last night. In fact so much so that it really stood out and surprised me and made me feel good about what Wyche and Clements have acheived by working with Drew. I agree with your points on MW except for the one play you mentioned. He let his man get around him way too quickly and there was also another rusher coming from the blind side. On the 2 sacks overall Drew had less than 2 seconds to deliver and one of them he smartley "Ate the ball" to avoid disaster.

Thanks Kelly--From your analysis I would form the opinion that the starting 5 is fine and even depth in the middle and Marcus Price are adequate back ups...

Sullivan needs to go -- he is just not motivated enough to be a good player. The key is to get Jonas back sometime this week and let the starting 5 work together for the next couple of weeks in practice.

We are in real trouble if we get past the third tackle (Price) and past the third guard (Tucker)...there's not too many NFL teams who wouldn't be in trouble in this case.....

i noticed that too, i just didn't want to say so because i feel the softie still needs to "earn it". He made one mistake, where he was burned around the edge by the LDE, which prevented drew from stepping up...and he was sacked by the RDE, who blew up Sully.

Ugly play, but I blame the coaches for it. I don't like pass plays when it's 3rd and 3 and you're in field goal range...unless they are stacked against the run, whcih they weren't. YOu know the D is gonna try to push you back out of FG range with a sack...so call a fuggin draw, pick up the first, and continue. Argh.

Kelly I thought Drew demonstrated a very good knack for stepping up, avoiding the rush and being accurate on short passes last night. In fact so much so that it really stood out and surprised me and made me feel good about what Wyche and Clements have acheived by working with Drew. I agree with your points on MW except for the one play you mentioned. He let his man get around him way too quickly and there was also another rusher coming from the blind side. On the 2 sacks overall Drew had less than 2 seconds to deliver and one of them he smartley "Ate the ball" to avoid disaster.

10967[/snapback]

He did let his man get th jump and rush too quickly, I agree, but he was pushing him far out of the pocket. Drew did the right thing, he stepped up, and MW's man only got a forearm on him, he would never have made the sack. The other inside rusher got in too quickly and collapsed the pocket, causing the sack. Again, I think I said it was the only play you could blame MW the entire game, and it was only partial blame. Each game so far, Drew has stepped up in the pocket, avoided the rush, and made very good throws for first downs.

He did let his man get th jump and rush too quickly, I agree, but he was pushing him far out of the pocket. Drew did the right thing, he stepped up, and MW's man only got a forearm on him, he would never have made the sack. The other inside rusher got in too quickly and collapsed the pocket, causing the sack. Again, I think I said it was the only play you could blame MW the entire game, and it was only partial blame. Each game so far, Drew has stepped up in the pocket, avoided the rush, and made very good throws for first downs.

10982[/snapback]

Oh, I thought your original post says that Drew could NOT step up, avoid the rush and make good throws. Well nevermind then, we agree.

Ugly play, but I blame the coaches for it. I don't like pass plays when it's 3rd and 3 and you're in field goal range...unless they are stacked against the run, whcih they weren't. YOu know the D is gonna try to push you back out of FG range with a sack...so call a fuggin draw, pick up the first, and continue. Argh.

10977[/snapback]

You know nod--we did this on a couple of plays last night....3rd and 4 or so...we ran--we need to practice this a lot, since we hardly did this at all last year...I think that defines a true commitment to the run...do you run when the tendency dicatates a better than average call for the pass.

The other thing I am still a little frustrated with is the lack of use of the screen or circle routes in this case...maybe they are practicing this stuff--but if you let the line through and run the receivers deep--that puts a lot of pressure on LB's to cover our backs- I like that matchup and we haven't seen it yet...

I had a thought last night--when we go 3 or 4 wides on the field in these situations--why not line Reed up in the backfield or in a tight slot and have him run a middle screen--I think that would be quite effective.

The truth is while the play call mix has been good, there is a lot of the playbook that we haven't seen yet--I am hoping that some of it makes into the game plan for Jacksonville and Oakland...

Williams was beat once in pass blocking. His run blocking was very good. I wish the Bills would trash those trick plays and stick to smashmouth football. Opened some nice holes. Too bad Magahee had the ball and not Henry or Simonton. They would have gained a lot more yards than Half Speed Willis.