Pominville Taken out with Cheap shot

stevestojan

Pommer was defenseless and unaware. But the hit- while certainly a penalty and misconduct- was not completely awful. There has been hundreds worse in the NHL, and will be hits that are more of a "cheap shot" than that, probably this week alone. The Chicago player has no history of playing dirty, and I think he was legitimately trying to get shoulder-to-shoulder, he just didn't quite get to the side and caught part of Pommer's back. Additionally, while the puck was coming to Pommer, he didn't have it yet, which added another element of illegality to the hit.

The Sabres decided to honor Pominville by playing just like him for the rest of the game- soft and uninspired.

Very glad to hear that Pommer was up, moving, and talking in the locker room. I think the apparent "seizures" on the ice were just more of deep, heavy breathing that occurs occasionally when you get your head rocked and the wind knocked out of you. At least that's how it looked to me.

Pommer was defenseless and unaware. But the hit- while certainly a penalty and misconduct- was not completely awful. There has been hundreds worse in the NHL, and will be hits that are more of a "cheap shot" than that, probably this week alone. The Chicago player has no history of playing dirty, and I think he was legitimately trying to get shoulder-to-shoulder, he just didn't quite get to the side and caught part of Pommer's back. Additionally, while the puck was coming to Pommer, he didn't have it yet, which added another element of illegality to the hit.

The Sabres decided to honor Pominville by playing just like him for the rest of the game- soft and uninspired.

Very glad to hear that Pommer was up, moving, and talking in the locker room. I think the apparent "seizures" on the ice were just more of deep, heavy breathing that occurs occasionally when you get your head rocked and the wind knocked out of you. At least that's how it looked to me.

I agree... Lindy was no help with his comments:

"We seemed a little stung for a little while. Pommer's really been our ironman. To see somebody laying there, you're just thinking and praying that he's going to be OK. Obviously, he has a concussion."

Now we are gonna get another munchkin in Gerbe!

The first guy in the scrum was #19???? Wow!

I try not to be a homer, but other teams play by play and color really suffer by comparison to the good ones. RJ is excellent, and the Canes folks are pretty unbiased as well, but some teams guy's are just terrible. We all know the story with the Bruins guys, but I'll include Chicago in on the crappy homer types after listening to Eddie O and the other play-by-play bozo try and claim that Pomminville saw the guy coming and essentially tried to write the hit off as his fault for not moving out of the way.

Just pathetic...

Edited by TheMadCap

The first guy in the scrum was #19???? Wow!

I try not to be a homer, but other teams play by play and color really suffer by comparison to the good ones. RJ is excellent, and the Canes folks are pretty unbiased as well, but some teams guy's are just terrible. We all know the story with the Bruins guys, but I'll include Chicago in on the crappy homer types after listening to Eddie O and the other play-by-play bozo try and claim that Pomminville saw the guy coming and essentially tried to write the hit off as his fault for not moving out of the way.

Just pathetic...

I agree... They were screaming bloody murder last year when Soupy got hit. Unbelieveable.

I think that hit was less cheap than it was simply stupid.

I didn't feel it was stupid at all. I think most defenseman are coached to pinch in from the blue line in an attempt to keep the puck in the offenseive zone, especially when the opposing winger doesn't appear to have many options to move the puck. And if you can bury him into the boards while you're at it, all the better. His mistake was getting to Pommer before the puck did, and catching the back of Pommer's shoulder blade. If he took one more stride, he likely would've been on-time with the puck and also been able to send Pommer into the boards with a clean shoulder-to-shoulder hit.

Certainly over-agressive, perhaps careless, but not cheap or stupid.

Edited by LongLiveRalph

That hit was not dirty at all! Pomi is just a soft player who does not expect to get hit or have to play a physical game. It was a great hit from a player playing the game the right way. Unfortunately, he got hurt but you need to be aware of where you are and who is coming at you. He has to realize that not all teams play a soft game like most of the Sabres do.

I didn't feel it was stupid at all. I think most defenseman are coached to pinch in from the blue line in an attempt to keep the puck in the offenseive zone, especially when the opposing winger doesn't appear to have many options to move the puck. And if you can bury him into the boards while you're at it, all the better. His mistake was getting to Pommer before the puck did, and catching the back of Pommer's shoulder blade. If he took one more stride, he likely would've been on-time with the puck and also been able to send Pommer into the boards with a clean shoulder-to-shoulder hit.

Certainly over-agressive, perhaps careless, but not cheap or stupid.

Actually, that's pretty much what I meant by stupid. The play wasn't, for just the reasons you outline. The hit - in the back, throwing Poms head-first into the boards, before he had the puck - that was stupid. You've got to know you can't do that, the league's not exactly vague on that point.

That hit was not dirty at all! Pomi is just a soft player who does not expect to get hit or have to play a physical game. It was a great hit from a player playing the game the right way. Unfortunately, he got hurt but you need to be aware of where you are and who is coming at you. He has to realize that not all teams play a soft game like most of the Sabres do.

Okay fine... Neither was Ovie's last year on Soupy... No penalty was called there.

Actually, that's pretty much what I meant by stupid. The play wasn't, for just the reasons you outline. The hit - in the back, throwing Poms head-first into the boards, before he had the puck - that was stupid. You've got to know you can't do that, the league's not exactly vague on that point.

I don't think it was totally dirty. I think most of all a little more respect for your opponent. Even if Pommanville clearly had the puck a little restraint would have been warranted. He was in a vulnerable position and it doesn't really matter if it was his mistake for putting himself there. What really pisses me off is that I have him on my fantasy team.

Edited by Dante

I don't think it was totally dirty. I think most of all a little more respect for your opponent. Even if Pommanville clearly had the puck a little restraint would have been warranted. He was in a vulnerable position and it doesn't really matter if it was his mistake for putting himself there. What really pisses me off is that I have him on my fantasy team.

+1. And you can't blame a guy like Pominville (or the Sabres) for being "soft" on this kinda stuff... Fault them for what you want, they attempt to play clean and by the rules... And kept in check by Lindy.

There is only one way for that (equal respect) to happen in this game:

"Run 'em!"

Unless the rules change, with the father figure NHL, you got nothing but punks acting first, then thinking.

2 Game suspension

What is the logic here by the NHL? He will be back for the BFLO game in CHI on Sat.? Wouldn't the league want to diffuse any problems... Or does this make NH behave... Since if he even breaths wrong... He will be a "repeat offender."

??

If you are looking for logic, the NHL discipline office is the wrong place to find it.

I think the suspension is fair. He essentially missed 75% of the game he was ejected from, plus two more, seems about right based on previous suspensions. I think it's clear to most that it wasn't intentionally dirty, but was definitely careless and a suspendable hit.

As far as him being back for the Buffalo game, the NHL has to use whatever crazy system they use to determine these penalties, but they CANNOT look at the schedule. If they determine he deserves a two game suspension, that's what they have to dole out, regardless of which games he misses and which games he returns for. Once you start looking at the schedule, you're basing suspensions on factors other than the matter at hand.

If you are looking for logic, the NHL discipline office is the wrong place to find it.

I think the suspension is fair. He essentially missed 75% of the game he was ejected from, plus two more, seems about right based on previous suspensions. I think it's clear to most that it wasn't intentionally dirty, but was definitely careless and a suspendable hit.

As far as him being back for the Buffalo game, the NHL has to use whatever crazy system they use to determine these penalties, but they CANNOT look at the schedule. If they determine he deserves a two game suspension, that's what they have to dole out, regardless of which games he misses and which games he returns for. Once you start looking at the schedule, you're basing suspensions on factors other than the matter at hand.

Nice explanation... I guess you are right! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: