2012 Draft: Luck or Newton?

Got_Wood

If Luck waited until next year to come out, which guy would you take? Newton is starting to look like a superstar out there. And I'm starting to like the idea of a mobile QB. Especially a guy of Newton's caliber.

Thoughts?

Edited by Got_Wood

If Luck waited until next year to come out, which guy would you take? Newton is starting to look like a superstar out there. And I'm starting to like the idea of a mobile QB. Especially a guy of Newton's caliber.

Thoughts?

I think it's October. Barely. I'm more interested in tomorrow's game, tonight's Sabres game, the foliage, Monday's Sabres game and celebrating Columbus day. The draft is in April. Let's consider wasting time on it in March.

Thoughts?

who is Newton?

I think it's October. Barely. I'm more interested in tomorrow's game, tonight's Sabres game, the foliage, Monday's Sabres game and celebrating Columbus day. The draft is in April. Let's consider wasting time on it in March.

This is more of a question of who is better between these two, than "who should the Bills draft". But yeah, you're right.

And I'm talking about Cam Newton from Auburn, for those of you that don't know who he is. Former Florida QB that transferred.

And I'm talking about Cam Newton from Auburn, for those of you that don't know who he is. Former Florida QB that transferred.

Never heard of him, which makes him a lock to be picked by the Bills in round 1. I had never heard of McKevlin, Whitner or Maybin either.

Never heard of him, which makes him a lock to be picked by the Bills in round 1. I had never heard of McKevlin, Whitner or Maybin either.

You'll start hearing his name soon enough.

Here's a video of him. He's a freak athletically. And he's 6'6" 250 lbs. I'm not sure who to compare him to, but he's fun to watch. He has a play in this video that is one of the most unbelievable runs I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGR8n00kJqk&feature=related

Thoughts?

Please. I just watched that game and saw Newton for the first time. Never heard of him before tonight. Very entertaining game, and Newton played well. HOWEVER, LSU's offense looked like some kind of high school offense where they line up the best athlete at QB and just let him run the ball all night behind the other 9 guys (with the 10th guy faking a handoff) all night.

NO THANKS. Get a real QB. Andrew Luck. We need a real passer, not a an athlete who plays QB. Spiller can run the ball and be our athlete. No more projects. Andrew Luck looks incredible. Don't overthink it, get Luck somehow, some way.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Please. I just watched that game and saw Newton for the first time. Never heard of him before tonight. Very entertaining game, and Newton played well. HOWEVER, LSU's offense looked like some kind of high school offense where they line up the best athlete at QB and just let him run the ball all night behind the other 9 guys (with the 10th guy faking a handoff) all night.

NO THANKS. Get a real QB. Andrew Luck. We need a real passer, not a an athlete who plays QB. Spiller can run the ball and be our athlete. No more projects. Andrew Luck looks incredible. Don't overthink it, get Luck somehow, some way.

I agree that I would take Luck over Newton. But wow, Newton is the real deal. I don't recall seeing any QB with his size and athleticism. He's like Vince Young plus 30 lbs, and he looks like he throws a better ball.

I agree that I would take Luck over Newton. But wow, Newton is the real deal. I don't recall seeing any QB with his size and athleticism. He's like Vince Young plus 30 lbs, and he looks like he throws a better ball.

Again though, no thanks. He's an athlete, not a QB. Les Miles Auburn's offense was as about as high school as it gets. Nice looking kid. Very athletic. Suited perfect to run that type of offense. Will have a very nice college career.

As for the NFL, let the Raiders pick him. No thanks.

I'll take Luck. And it wouldn't even be close.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Again though, no thanks. He's an athlete, not a QB. Les Miles offense was as about as high school as it gets. Nice looking kid. Very athletic. Suited perfect to run that type of offense. Will have a very nice college career.

As for the NFL, let the Raiders pick him. No thanks.

I'll take Luck. And it wouldn't even be close.

Cam Newton plays for Auburn, and they played the University of Kentucky today. I don't know who you were watching.

But yes, I would still take Luck first.

Edited by Got_Wood

Cam Newton plays for Auburn, and they played the University of Kentucky today. I don't know who you were watching.

But yes, I would still take Luck first.

Yeah, oops. I was reading an LSU article just now. Sorry. Brain fart. I watched Newton. That's what I meant. LSU had the white dude alternating with the black dude today. The SEC games today were pretty damn good. I just got the coach mixed up because he was on my brain at that moment. lol.

My theory stands. No way to Newton.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Thoughts?

I thought Ponder looked very good. Strong arm, mobile, seemed to be in command of the offense, knows how to look off the defenders. I was really impressed. I think he'll quickly move up the rankings.

You don't want some gimmick mobile scrambling quarterback. You want a guy that can read a defense and make all the throws and have a true command of the offense. If he can scramble a little that's a bonus but it's not really important.

and that's the bonus about Luck. I saw him make what I'll call a "rollout reverse" tonite, he was rollin out into a crowd, reversed & ran for some yards. improvised.

Edited by dgrid

You don't want some gimmick mobile scrambling quarterback. You want a guy that can read a defense and make all the throws and have a true command of the offense. If he can scramble a little that's a bonus but it's not really important.

Of the three things I bolded, the first is something a lot of college QB's struggle with coming out of school , especially considering the proliferation of the spread offense. The second IMO is the most important, and the 3rd is something that you can't really project till a QB hits the NFL.

Newton is a fantastic athlete: great footspeed, size, strength and agility with a big arm to boot. He is no JaMarcus Russel and there is no need to offer the racial comparisons to other QB's. He has his head on straight and could prove to be a very capable pocket passer in addition to showcasing his abilities in the running game. All that being said, Luck is as can't miss as they get and, if available, should be the Bills one and only option. If he is gone, then I'd welcome Newton after Mallet, though this is a 2012 discussion and Mallet is a 2011 QB.