Devin Thomas-another 2008 pick bites the dust

But wait, its bad coaching right? I mean that is the excuse Bills fans have for bad draft picks....

No sir, I'll go with bad scouting. Because for every James Hardy, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed, other 2nd round guys like Desean Jackson, Matt Forte, Ray Rice and Eddie Royal, all of whom were "too small," have been productive.

It's surprising that none of the four split-end type receivers from that draft have done anything promising so far, and all 4 look like busts. Jordy Nelson is big (like 6'3") and decent, but he exclusively played the slot in college, and I believe plays the slot for Green Bay. I really don't fault the Bills for this particular draft bust. Nelson went before our pick, and the 2 good receivers in that round (Royal & Jackson) are both little skinny guys. Our receiving corps at the time was Lee Evans, Josh Reed, and Roscoe Parrish. Royal is basically a younger Josh Reed and probably wouldn't have helped us. Jackson's really good, but doesn't really bring anything to the table that Evans & Parrish don't already. Plus, as the Kolb/Vick situation has shown, Jackson really can't do much unless he has a QB who can get him the ball deep.

I'm surprised at how poorly this draft class has been. If I recall correctly, weren't Kelly, Hardy, Thomas, and Sweed all projected to be drafted in the 1st round? I seem to recall that it was a shock that they all dropped to the 2nd, by the draft pundits.