The role of women in the past election

AKC

You're going to have to include me in there somewhere. I see her as more a breath of fresh air than a fruitcake. She doesn't strike me as interested in playing the demure, obedient political wife who says all the right things when prompted. Instead she strikes me as more of a living breathing human being who says what she thinks whether anybody else damned well likes it or not.

It seems to me that it is this glaring contradiction with her cheerleader peers that gives the false impression that she is a loon. She stands out the way a human being would in a room full of robots. Her problem isn't that she's crazy, it's that she's normal.

And no, I didn't vote for that tool she is currently married to.

Cya

154658[/snapback]

People always say they like a "straight shooter" and deplore the sanitized, poll approved, scripted political speech that is the norm. That is until they actually run across a "straight shooter". Then they pillory him or her for not sticking to the script. On top of that, she does speak with a thick foreign accent which just doesn't fit the mold for a "nationally adored" First Lady. Funny, for a party that claims to deplore class warfare and complaints about the wealthy, they sure went after her for being rich now didn't they?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a relatively fair-minded article from a writer who is familiar with her on a local level.

I think the guy sums it up well when he says, "Teresa Heinz Kerry behaves normally in normal situations and normally in aberrant situations that call for stagecraft and phoniness. Consequently, she seems weird"

P'burgh Post-Gazette

Here's a relatively fair-minded article from a writer who is familiar with her on a local level.

I think the guy sums it up well when he says, "Teresa Heinz Kerry behaves normally in normal situations and normally in aberrant situations that call for stagecraft and phoniness. Consequently, she seems weird"

P'burgh Post-Gazette

154749[/snapback]

While I wouldn't call the campaign trail an exclusively representative period of one's life, the study of those involved in most cases does answer a lot of questions about their makeup. I'll grant the reporter in Pittsburgh his time in the company of THK, but I can't ignore the virtually to a reporter assessments of her on the campaign. Time and Newsweek reporters who rubbed elbows with her over the full campaign and were granted special access came away "less than impressed" and there's nowhere I've seen where the word "normal" was even considered in stories about her. Post campaign each of these sources list "hypochondriac" as a primary trait of the potential first lady. She is reported to have mixed up various " holistic potions" to help her husband recover from the rigors of the campaign, concoctions that raised the eyes of staff and press alike while conjuring images of a newt's eye mixed with three hairs from a rhino's butt. If we're talking about proximity to the subject, these two sources seem to have had the closest look and it's at the very least provocative that Time and Newsweek come away with similar unflattering views of THK.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6420966/site/newsweek/

I don't see the Time article online but it was far less flattering a picture they painted of her, and Newsweek's is hardly flattering.

I don't know if the individual eccentricities tell us a lot about THK, things like her wearing sunglasses at night, etc. But I do have a broad frame of reference regarding hypochondriacs and frankly the company in which they reside on my life scale is somewhere between the Area 51 crowd and the sadly alone even when surrounded by others. The other thing that I get from the post-election coverage, and I guess perhaps an expansion of the subject I started the string with, is that Bush seems to genuinely be involved in a partnership with his wife while Kerry to a some degree appears dominated and perhaps even subjugated by his. Those are nuances that I'm confident are not exclusively seen from the distance at which I reside from the subject.

I am still waiting for an answer to the questions I posed.  All you have done is present an undated local radio station poll where the respondents indicated they thought Theresa was hurting Kerry's chances.  You go from that to concluding that she is a lunatic?  I wonder, did you know of that poll before your assertion that she was a lunatic or did you dig it up afterward in an attempt to justify the conclusions you already reached with no research beyond the last Limbaugh rant you listened to?

So, it is your "understanding" that she was institutionalized?  Do you have anything better than your "understanding" by way of proof?  Forgive me if I am reluctant to slur a total stranger based on your "understanding". 

Again, I await your links to polls showing that Mrs. Bush is nationally "adored" as opposed to "liked", "respected", etc.  51 million people voted against her husband so apparently not everyone "adores" her or is stupid enough to cast their vote based on their personal like or dislike for the candidates spouse.

151117[/snapback]

Mickey, in the political climate of America today, a small bloc of votes can be enough to carry a state.

Certainly, if TK was perceived by some to be a "lunatic," "gold digger," or "fag-hag," this cost her husband votes. Otoh, voters probably had less reason to dislike Mrs. Bush, and many adore his mom.

Btw, I am not calling Ms. Kerry a "fag-hag." It is merely a term, one that I do not use. As for the other two phrases........ :P:);)

perhaps you think it is the height of moderation to use the personal, medical struggles of a former political spouse who is no longer involved in politics simply to make a partisan point.  We will just have to disagree there.

153141[/snapback]

That's your point, not mine, hence there's no reason to disagree about it.

To get you back to my point, Kerry has historically acted like a fly on the proverbial whenever he meets a loony-toon female with a big bankroll, and he's willing to trade one loony for a wealthier one if the MSM stories about THK are accurate. You're certainly welcome to admire those kind of motives, though they seem kinda' shallow and disingenuous to me. Could be I'm just naive, having grown up in a small town and being raised under those very different values a lot of the press are talking about now. Maybe you and yours know better- maybe we should discard those we claim to love when a better financial arrangement comes along? I'll stick with the small town values though, and perhaps in turn you'll excuse my naivate?

On the issue of adoration of Laura Bush, a general Google Search for:

adore Laura Bush

brings over 40 thousand hits. You might find it educational to plug in:

adore Theresa Heinz Kerry

;-)