Our defense

Bob in STL

Jets game last year versus Jets game this year. Call it a stretch play or a cut back run ... we don't have the horses to play good defense. The Jets killed us with it last year (4-3) and once again this year (3-4). Does not matter what scheme we run? No, Their blockers are so much beter than our front 7 it does not matter at all.

We really need to credit Perry Fewell for getting the defense ready last year. They had some good games overall.

Now? What a difference this year with basically the same players. Where are the blitzes and the forced turnovers?

Changing to a 3-4 lust set us back at least another year in "the rebuild". Most of the time we play with 4 down lineman, the 4th down linemen is usually Chris Kelsy lined up as a DE. Kelsey has no sacks and gets no pressure, but he has a new contract.

LBs - Ellis, Torbor, and Ellison are not getting it done. Davis can't cover my grandmother. Poz is playing alone. We sorely need linebackers on this team.

So I ask ... We get excited about a few rookies such as Moats (6th rounder) and Coleman (UDFA). Of course they are not even close to the same level as Orakpo, Cushing and Matthews? Each of them are all making a huge contributions to their teams while our #1 pick collects a big paycheck and twitters like some high school kid.

Does this tell us anything? Anyone else feel foresaken by this FO?

Edited by Bob in STL

Jets game last year versus Jets game this year. Call it a stretch play or a cut back run ... we don't have the horses to play good defense. The Jets killed us with it last year (4-3) and once again this year (3-4). Does not matter what scheme we run? No, Their blockers are so much beter than our front 7 it does not matter at all.

We really need to credit Perry Fewell for getting the defense ready last year. They had some good games overall.

Now? What a difference this year with basically the same players. Where are the blitzes and the forced turnovers?

Changing to a 3-4 lust set us back at least another year in "the rebuild". Most of the time we play with 4 down lineman, the 4th down linemen is usually Chris Kelsy lined up as a DE. Kelsey has no sacks and gets no pressure, but he has a new contract.

LBs - Ellis, Torbor, and Ellison are not getting it done. Davis can't cover my grandmother. Poz is playing alone. We sorely need linebackers on this team.

So I ask ... We get excited about a few rookies such as Moats (6th rounder) and Coleman (UDFA). Of course they are not even close to the same level as Orakpo, Cushing and Matthews? Each of them are all making a huge contributions to their teams while our #1 pick collects a big paycheck and twitters like some high school kid.

Does this tell us anything? Anyone else feel foresaken by this FO?

we should have focused the draft on players for the 3 -4 and FA as well instead we have 4 3 players starting as 3 4 players. The rookies are seeing little to no action hell they cant be much worse than what we saw from the team yesterday can they or did we just screwup another draft???

Kelsay said he didn't have answers to "why they were able to run the ball" on the Bills.

1) Kelsay got into the backfield on MANY plays and LT ran right by him for a 5+ yard run MULTIPLE times.

Instead of 2 yard loss, it was a 8 yard gain. Other defenses make that play.

2) It seems like every time a Bills defender had the play contained, [insert Jet offensive player] would make a move and the Bills player would be on the ground. I've never seen a pro team get juked that much. It was ridiculous.

we should have focused the draft on players for the 3 -4 and FA as well instead we have 4 3 players starting as 3 4 players. The rookies are seeing little to no action hell they cant be much worse than what we saw from the team yesterday can they or did we just screwup another draft???

We drafted Troup (NT), Carrington (DE), Batten (LB), and Moats (LB). All of them project to play the 3-4. Problem is they are rookies. You simply cannot expect too much from a rookie, especially mid and late round picks.

If a rookie starts on your team you had a big hole. There are exceptions but not a lot. In every draft there are players that can step in but it sure seems like the ones that make an impact are the ones surrounded by good players. Ever notice that good teams can plug in a rookie and bad teams can't?

Edited by Bob in STL

The only difference from last year is the ranking in scoring defense, I'm still watcthing the the same read and react conservative defense.

We only rush 3 or 4, we rarely try to confuse the oppostion by blitzing here and there, make them think twice. The first time we blitzed yesterday was on the red zone in the 3rd qtr.

Against the Packers and Patriots we were in our nickel offense, trying not to be outscored, which it happened in both counts. Edwards is in way over his head, he does not not now what he is doing with the players he has.

I totally agree with your OP about the front seven.

Kyle Williams is not an everydown NT. I also think Stroud is much more important to the front seven then people realized.

LBs are bad. And you can throw POZ in there too. Sorry.

Williams is a good rotational player. Not an every down NT. Troup played more than I have seen in past weeks. Maybe getting pushed around by Mangold will speed up his development?

The only difference from last year is the ranking in scoring defense, I'm still watcthing the the same read and react conservative defense.

We only rush 3 or 4, we rarely try to confuse the oppostion by blitzing here and there, make them think twice. The first time we blitzed yesterday was on the red zone in the 3rd qtr.

Against the Packers and Patriots we were in our nickel offense, trying not to be outscored, which it happened in both counts. Edwards is in way over his head, he does not not now what he is doing with the players he has.

Scoring is a huge difference.

Also, I think we blitz less and get much less pressure, evidenced by the fact that we have ZERO picks. We cannot seems to force a turnover.

Williams is a good rotational player. Not an every down NT. Troup played more than I have seen in past weeks. Maybe getting pushed around by Mangold will speed up his development?

Scoring is a huge difference.

Also, I think we blitz less and get much less pressure, evidenced by the fact that we have ZERO picks. We cannot seems to force a turnover.

No doubt it's a big one and the reason we're 0-4 against some solid teams.