Maybin Article... Still have some work to do...

MClem06

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article205540.ece

Personally, I feel that this article is BS. He throws out the fact that it's not about being a First round pick, it's about winning games... WRONG. For you Maybin, it definitly is about being a first round pick. You are expected to produce even if you aren't playing every down of every game. When you are in specific formations JUST so you can rush the passer and you don't, that is a problem. When you are paid First round money and can't make a sack or get around the corner with your supposed "quickest first step off the line" it's a problem. The first step may be fast but it's about being elusive and using muscle to beat the Tackle in front of you. I just remember sitting and watching the draft and praying to god that Orakpo would fall to us and when he did I was certain the Bills wouldn't pass up that pick. Now we are stuck with this shlepp and his excuses for poor performance. Another monster whiff. Throw him on the pile of college overacheivers and cut ties with him. I say if he hasn't completely destroyed his trade value take a late round pick for any team that is willing to sacrafice it. This guy is a waste of a roster spot and he's proven it over and over again. NO MORE EXCUSES PLEASE. Our Pass rush is horrendous and it's amazing that there is no one that can help??? Anything would be better than sitting around waiting for this guy to produce when he just doesn't have IT.

Please help me understand WHY he is still lining up in that stupid 4-point stance as a 4-3 DE and bull rushing!!!! He gets stood up straight every single time!!! He is fast, I'll give him that. Why not have him standing up and rushing from the edge or sneaking around the line looking for holes to blitz into?! Did we not see Clay Matthews doing that against us? That freaking guy was rushing from all angles!!! I thought at one point he was going to jump out of a plane onto Trent!

Anyhow, Maybin looks like a stiff because he is doing the same things as last year. I have no clue why a new regime is having him do this.

:censored:

Edited by tbonestake

Personally, I feel that this article is BS. He throws out the fact that it's not about being a First round pick, it's about winning games... WRONG. For you Maybin, it definitly is about being a first round pick. You are expected to produce even if you aren't playing every down of every game. When you are in specific formations JUST so you can rush the passer and you don't, that is a problem. When you are paid First round money and can't make a sack or get around the corner with your supposed "quickest first step off the line" it's a problem. The first step may be fast but it's about being elusive and using muscle to beat the Tackle in front of you. I just remember sitting and watching the draft and praying to god that Orakpo would fall to us and when he did I was certain the Bills wouldn't pass up that pick. Now we are stuck with this shlepp and his excuses for poor performance. Another monster whiff. Throw him on the pile of college overacheivers and cut ties with him. I say if he hasn't completely destroyed his trade value take a late round pick for any team that is willing to sacrafice it. This guy is a waste of a roster spot and he's proven it over and over again. NO MORE EXCUSES PLEASE. Our Pass rush is horrendous and it's amazing that there is no one that can help??? Anything would be better than sitting around waiting for this guy to produce when he just doesn't have IT.

He's on the all-time Bills draft bust list. He may not be on the top of it, but he's working his way there.

The only hope for Maybin is that is he is very young, and can hopefully get bigger over the next year or so. He's no doubt fast, but he needs more power...

Heh. Has anyone heard that "Aaron Maybin: Dance Instructor" spoof on WGR lately? Like last year's "Hey There, Trent Edwards" song, it's hilarious!

:worthy:

Outstanding post! Maybin is a typical "punk" pro athlete of today. He tweets and he blogs and he sets up a web site as if the pay check makes him a star without the WORK and DEDICATION. I'll never forget how pissed off young Bruce Smith got after his second season when he felt he got snubbed by not making the Pro Bowl despite double digit sacks. Even if there were web sites and blogs and twitter back then, he would not have cared less. He got together with Rusty Jones and developed his now famous off season training program he used successfully for the next 15 years! Maybin can now learn more about this former number one pick of the entire 1985 draft - defensive end by visiting the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Where on earth is the Bills team of strength and conditioning coaches when it comes to this skinny kid anyway?? Gailey hired about 15 of 'em, didn't he? How damn hard can it be to get an athlete to GAIN weight today? Um, let's see, Maybin should EAT more and make sure that food is high in protein and the right carbs so he can then turn that extra weight into muscle and MASS. There, I just came up with Maybin's new training goal, and I'm not even working 92 hours as one of the many strength and conditioning coaches probably do. :doh:

There is something very strange about Maybin. It seems like he is a speed junkie or something. He looks like he is the very skinniest OLB in the entire NFL, and of course he plays for the Buffalo Bills, right? :wallbash: Until he gains about 40 pounds of body mass, he will absolutely be a major bust.

Edited by BillsPhan

:worthy:

Outstanding post! Maybin is a typical "punk" pro athlete of today. He tweets and he blogs and he sets up a web site as if the pay check makes him a star without the WORK and DEDICATION. I'll never forget how pissed off young Bruce Smith got after his second season when he felt he got snubbed by not making the Pro Bowl despite double digit sacks. Even if there were web sites and blogs and twitter back then, he would not have cared less. He got together with Rusty Jones and developed his now famous off season training program he used successfully for the next 15 years! Maybin can now learn more about this former number one pick of the entire 1985 draft - defensive end by visiting the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Where on earth is the Bills team of strength and conditioning coaches when it comes to this skinny kid anyway?? Gailey hired about 15 of 'em, didn't he? How damn hard can it be to get an athlete to GAIN weight today? Um, let's see, Maybin should EAT more and make sure that food is high in protein and the right carbs so he can then turn that extra weight into muscle and MASS. There, I just came up with Maybin's new training goal, and I'm not even working 92 hours as one of the many strength and conditioning coaches probably do. :doh:

There is something very strange about Maybin. It seems like he is a speed junkie or something. He looks like he is the very skinniest OLB in the entire NFL, and of course he plays for the Buffalo Bills, right? :wallbash: Until he gains about 40 pounds of body mass, he will absolutely be a major bust.

Well said... I wish the front office was watching this before they drafted maybin...

Honestly...It's really not Maybin's fault The Bills and Jauron GREATLY overestimated his abilities and upside...Mike Mayock felt Maybin was a borderline 1st Round Prospect and the Bills Drafted him at #11 Overall...Mayock had Maybin behind Aaron Curry, Brian Orakpo, Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, and Larry English...The Bills Drafted Maybin ahead of all those Players except Curry...MM constantly questioned whether or not Maybin could sustain 250 lbs and stand up vs the Run in the NFL...He did segments specifically about Maybin's weaknesses leading up to the Draft...He was right...In fact, outside of Todd McShay(who btw is being bashed pretty hard now by NFL insiders who are slowly coming out of the woodwork to call him a complete hack), most evaluators had at least Curry, Cushing and Orakpo ahead of Maybin...And even McShay had Orakpo going ahead of Maybin in his 4/21/2009 Mock Draft...

So no matter what Maybin says or does this is the fault of those Scouts, Coaches and Front Office geniuses who thought they were smarter and more instictive than everybody else...Maybin was a reach at #11 on just about everyone's Board, but especially those who I really admire, like Mayock, as Scouts...It was a bad Pick that was made FAR worse by the success of those at the same Position who were picked after Maybin...So blame The Bills on this one... B-)

I just watched both those video's and I think I am going to vomit. Was Maybin squating 135 pounds? I can't believe the difference in strength between those two. Jauron was an idiot. Maybin better start tweeting less, and lifting more if he wants an NFL job next year.

Edited by tonyd19

Also just read the article. Let me translate.

"I now know that I should have stayed in school another year or two before declaring for the draft. That is whay I can't compete at this level. I also now know I should have been working harder to get stronger the last two years instead of taking strippers to the Bahamas. That is why I am not starting this year and also why Eric Wood called me out for stealing money in the pre-season. But it's not my fault, the coaches are not adjusting their defense around MY game. If I could just do exactly what I want to do and everyone would leave me alone, I would be kicking ass. So for now, I will throw out a bunch of cliches like "I'm about winning foortball games" to draw attention away from my epic failures as a pro." :wallbash:

This sucks. I would very much like to like Aaron Maybin. He seems like a nice kid, he always says the right things, by all accounts he has a tremendous work ethic, but he's just not any good at all. Which would be fine if he was a 5th-round pick making near the league minimum, but he was #11 overall and makes about $5mil a year. It's not his fault that he was brutally overdrafted, and he seems to be trying his best to live up to his salary. But seeing him out there getting destroyed play after play is just demoralizing. And then the excessive celebrations. I would actually like his enthusiasm if he ever did anything productive - I like the fact that he gets just as pumped when a teammate makes a great play as when he makes a tackle (which is the closest he's come to making a great play).

If he ever becomes a good player, I will definitely like the guy, but I don't really see that happening.

I just watched both those video's and I think I am going to vomit. Was Maybin squating 135 pounds? I can't believe the difference in strength between those two. Jauron was an idiot. Maybin better start tweeting less, and lifting more if he wants an NFL job next year.

I do agree that Maybin needs to gain some size and strength, but he was doing band squats in that video. Who knows how much the resistance is, but it definitely makes a big difference when they are used on the bench and squat. Maybin does however need to gain about 20 lbs, which may seem like a lot, but most of that does not have to be muscle. Maybin body fat percentage is probably around 5% right now which is unnecessary for a OLB.

Take a look at some side by side photos of Maybin and other top OLB around the league and you will obviously see a huge difference. The one thing that I can't understand however is why the Bills didn't address this in the offseason. It's not like players can only be fined for being too heavy. His age can't be used as an excuse either, as there are metabolic tests that can be done to determine how many calories he needs to take in per day to gain x amount of pounds.

Aside from Maybin's size, I loved seeing Darryl Talley rip on him for his his useless 4 point stance. Unless it is 4th and 1 and you are planning on cutting an OL, there is no reason to be in a 4 pt stance. Hopefully, Maybin learns how to use his hands more too, because as of right now he is just firing right into his guy with his hands in, and then occasionally he will try to spin but it is never off of a move.

Edited by DaBills51

I just watched both those video's and I think I am going to vomit. Was Maybin squating 135 pounds?

Yah that looked like two 45 pound plates and just the bar to me.

I understand he was doing that contrast training and had already done a bunch of reps and had to immediately go to hurdles and stuff, but still - it's not that impressive to watch him squat an amount of weight that teenagers can easily handle.

I do agree that Maybin needs to gain some size and strength, but he was doing band squats in that video. Who knows how much the resistance is, but it definitely makes a big difference when they are used on the bench and squat. Maybin does however need to gain about 20 lbs, which may seem like a lot, but most of that does not have to be muscle. Maybin body fat percentage is probably around 5% right now which is unnecessary for a OLB.

Take a look at some side by side photos of Maybin and other top OLB around the league and you will obviously see a huge difference. The one thing that I can't understand however is why the Bills didn't address this in the offseason. It's not like players can only be fined for being too heavy. His age can't be used as an excuse either, as there are metabolic tests that can be done to determine how many calories he needs to take in per day to gain x amount of pounds.

Aside from Maybin's size, I loved seeing Darryl Talley rip on him for his his useless 4 point stance. Unless it is 4th and 1 and you are planning on cutting an OL, there is no reason to be in a 4 pt stance. Hopefully, Maybin learns how to use his hands more too, because as of right now he is just firing right into his guy with his hands in, and then occasionally he will try to spin but it is never off of a move.

I agree and they are totally different workouts, but jeez, all the front office had to do was take a glance at Orakpo and then take a glance at Maybin. The body types are like night and day. I don't watch a lot of college football, but I just can't believe you would take Maybin over that beast in Washington based on production, where they played and physicality??? I am at a complete loss. And I hope Maybin does well, I really do.

Yah that looked like two 45 pound plates and just the bar to me.

I understand he was doing that contrast training and had already done a bunch of reps and had to immediately go to hurdles and stuff, but still - it's not that impressive to watch him squat an amount of weight that teenagers can easily handle.

Kind of a different workout, with the bands and everything, but seriously he was straining. Also, Gailey's comments did not seem to be a ringing endorsement of his work ethic. How the hell does a 22 year old professional athlete wear down after taking 35 snaps? What I heard Gailey saying was, he is very over matched and needs to take his career a lot more seriously if he wants to stay around here.

This sucks. I would very much like to like Aaron Maybin. He seems like a nice kid, he always says the right things, by all accounts he has a tremendous work ethic, but he's just not any good at all. Which would be fine if he was a 5th-round pick making near the league minimum, but he was #11 overall and makes about $5mil a year. It's not his fault that he was brutally overdrafted, and he seems to be trying his best to live up to his salary. But seeing him out there getting destroyed play after play is just demoralizing. And then the excessive celebrations. I would actually like his enthusiasm if he ever did anything productive - I like the fact that he gets just as pumped when a teammate makes a great play as when he makes a tackle (which is the closest he's come to making a great play).

If he ever becomes a good player, I will definitely like the guy, but I don't really see that happening.

Doesn't look like its going to happen, at least not any time soon. Probably no point in harping on the past, but you have to think that the Bills should have upped the ante on Miami to sign Cam Wake. He is exactly the player the Bills thought they were drafting in Maybin (and giess what they are both Nittany Lions). Wake got 4.5M for four years. What did Maybin get, in addition to costing a first - Wake was a free agent. Dick Jauron is a lunatic, if indeed, as speculated, he is responsible.