Where is the inconsistency??

ndirish1978

I see a lot of complaining here about how Chan has handled the RB and QB situations. The fact of the matter is that Spiller and Edwards both outplayed their competition in the preseason. That being said, Chan has always said that the preseason is not the regular season. He has also said they are still trying to see what they have in the cupboard as far as talent. It seems clear to me that they gave Edwards one last chance, he failed and so they cut ties with him. The kid has potential, but was too mentally weak to be productive under pressure so they let him go. Same thing with the RBs. Spiller didn't produce out of the gate and they gave someone else a chance to step up. I'm sure I will be criticized for my view here, but I just don't see how this is clueless and working without a plan. In my opinion Chan is emptying the cupboard and scrapping people who he thinks cannot contribute to the rebuilding of the team. Edwards-no, Marshawn-yes. We need a roster purge and we're getting one. If Marshawn had not played well in the 2 games they put him in there he probably would have been relegated to 3rd string back.

That being said, I do not agree with all the moves Chan has made thus far. Such as:

1- Carrington has not even been activated? You can't keep a 3rd rd pick inactive. You just can't.

2- We're not going to the playoffs this year. Why are we not throwing Maybin in to the deep end and letting him sink or swim?

3- Cornell Green is terrible. Someone else should be starting in his place.

Thoughts?

Edited by ndirish1978

I see a lot of complaining here about how Chan has handled the RB and QB situations. The fact of the matter is that Spiller and Edwards both outplayed their competition in the preseason. That being said, Chan has always said that the preseason is not the regular season. He has also said they are still trying to see what they have in the cupboard as far as talent. It seems clear to me that they gave Edwards one last chance, he failed and so they cut ties with him. The kid has potential, but was too mentally weak to be productive under pressure so they let him go. Same thing with the RBs. Spiller didn't produce out of the gate and they gave someone else a chance to step up. I'm sure I will be criticized for my view here, but I just don't see how this is clueless and working without a plan. In my opinion Chan is emptying the cupboard and scrapping people who he thinks cannot contribute to the rebuilding of the team. Edwards-no, Marshawn-yes. We need a roster purge and we're getting one. If Marshawn had not played well in the 2 games they put him in there he probably would have been relegated to 3rd string back.

That being said, I do not agree with all the moves Chan has made thus far. Such as:

1- Carrington has not even been activated? You can't keep a 3rd rd pick inactive. You just can't.

2- We're not going to the playoffs this year. Why are we not throwing Maybin in to the deep end and letting him sink or swim?

Thoughts?

Like it or not, this whole season is the pre-season. Chan is evaluating talent to see who belongs on his team and who doesn't. This year is a wash, plain and simple. Management and the coaching staff was well aware of this during the off-season, just too many holes to plug in one year. But I do have faith that they can turn this thing around within a couple years...

Wasn't he hurt? haven't heard much about him lately though.

Audition, see above.

He's just a filler to get through the year, he'll be gone next season.

Edited by ricojes

Maybin played for almost the entire 2nd half against New England, and he certainly appeared to be sinking when he was noticed at all. I'm not sure why Carringon hasn't played yet. What's there to lose? He looked the part of a 3-4 run stuffing DE in preseason, or at least a rookie 3-4 run stuffing DE.

Cordero Howard substituted in at both OT positions this past Sunday, and he certainly has the size and strength to play on the right side. At RG against Green Bay he was mauling in the run game and showed excellent mobility for a man his size. I suspect he may be starting at RT by season's end.

Gailey on Carrington (from Chris Brown's Friday Q&A)....

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/09/24/fan-friday-9-24/

4 – Hey Chris, I was wondering what the deal is with Alex Carrington I thought he was doing well in camp and I noticed he hasn’t even been active. Do you think he will play later in the season or is he turning out to be a bust?

Dan from western MA

CB: I actually asked coach Gailey what Carrington needs to do in the practice setting to get on the field more for his Bills Digest Q&A. Here was his answer.

He’s earned the right to contribute on Sundays. You’ve just got to deactivate seven players each week and the numbers get you because of special teams. The last two weeks we played teams that have us using nickel packages more and our outside backers are pass rushers and we don’t need as many down linemen.

Now against the Jets this week that may change because they’re more of a two back running team. It’s more of a week to week thing. He’s earned the right to play. It’s just the numbers catch us and we’ve got some more experienced players in those positions.

Edited by MattyT