They Weren't Laughing This Past Sunday...

rolly

For as much as everyone (including myself) bashes this team on a daily basis, I think we need to give credit where it's due. The Bills played a pretty solid game against a superior opponent whom they haven't beaten since the cold war.

There were 2 things that really stood out in regards to the big picture after this game:

1. The QB is the most important position in football. Even with a mediocre (at best) o-line, the Bills offense was able to move the ball with regularity and put up 23 points. Imagine what it would look like with a real solid QB.

2. With a few additions in the off-season (QB, LB's, OT's) this team can turn things right around in 2011. I have confidence in Gailey and Nix.

Lastly, this team is 2-1 with Michael Vick at QB. I still don't know if I would be ok with it, and hindsight is 20-20 but we beat the Pats and Dolphins with Vick at the helm.

Edited by rolly

"2. With a few additions in the off-season (QB, LB's, OT's) this team can turn things right around in 2011. I have confidence in Gailey and Nix."

We could have made those additions in 2010. Great Linebackers were available in free agency. Vick might have been available had we made an appropriate offer. Bulaga would be starting at left tackle. Adams might have been at right tackle. We would have had Incardona.

Its not the invasion of freaking Normandy...the guy should have improved the team in his first season. What makes you think he'll do any better if we give him a second?

For as much as everyone (including myself) bashes this team on a daily basis, I think we need to give credit where it's due. The Bills played a pretty solid game against a superior opponent whom they haven't beaten since the cold war.

There were 2 things that really stood out in regards to the big picture after this game:

1. The QB is the most important position in football. Even with a mediocre (at best) o-line, the Bills offense was able to move the ball with regularity and put up 23 points. Imagine what it would look like with a real solid QB.

2. With a few additions in the off-season (QB, LB's, OT's) this team can turn things right around in 2011. I have confidence in Gailey and Nix.

Lastly, this team is 2-1 with Michael Vick at QB. I still don't know if I would be ok with it, and hindsight is 20-20 but we beat the Pats and Dolphins with Vick at the helm.

I don't think for a second that Michael Vick should be the answer in Buffalo at ALL. I WILL however admit that if he had been the QB for this team we could have pulled off a 2-1. There is no question the guys is more talented then what is on our roster.

"2. With a few additions in the off-season (QB, LB's, OT's) this team can turn things right around in 2011. I have confidence in Gailey and Nix."

We could have made those additions in 2010. Great Linebackers were available in free agency. Vick might have been available had we made an appropriate offer. Bulaga would be starting at left tackle. Adams might have been at right tackle. We would have had Incardona.

1. You have no idea how hard it is to sign FAs, to a repeatedly crappy team (great LBs went to good teams from what I see)

2. This is the year before the new CBA and that limited what we could offer and for how long

3. Until Bulaga becomes something more than he is, that is a moot point

4. You watch Vick this year, I promise you he ain't all that

1. You have no idea how hard it is to sign FAs, to a repeatedly crappy team (great LBs went to good teams from what I see)

2. This is the year before the new CBA and that limited what we could offer and for how long

3. Until Bulaga becomes something more than he is, that is a moot point

4. You watch Vick this year, I promise you he ain't all that

1. Where did Winfield and Clements go? Detroit and San Fran? It ain't all that hard. Believe it or not some of these guys are really in it for the money.

2. We could have offered what Miami offered to Incardona. How about NOT OFFERING Green nine million and three years and using it to sign Incardona? I suspect that that deal would be better than Miami's.

3. Bulaga (and everyone else in this planet) will never be more than they are. He's the starting left tackle for a winning team. Green isn't.

4. I watched Vick yesterday. Yes he is.

Its not the invasion of freaking Normandy...the guy should have improved the team in his first season. What makes you think he'll do any better if we give him a second?

Absolutley correct.

1. Where did Winfield and Clements go? Detroit and San Fran? It ain't all that hard. Believe it or not some of these guys are really in it for the money.

2. We could have offered what Miami offered to Incardona. How about NOT OFFERING Green nine million and three years and using it to sign Incardona? I suspect that that deal would be better than Miami's.

3. Bulaga (and everyone else in this planet) will never be more than they are. He's the starting left tackle for a winning team. Green isn't.

Again, well said. :thumbsup:

Problem is, we have so many positions to fill, we can't be spending $10 mil a year on each player (that's Clement's contract: 8-year, $80 mil).

Winfield went to Minnesota, not Detroit. HUUUUUUGE difference.

Did you watch the defense play? Because they were far from solid. They sucked!!

Did you watch the defense play? Because they were far from solid. They sucked!!

Agreed. The defense was pretty bad. But you have to remember, Brady and the Patriots light up almost every defense in the NFL. Also, for the misinformed, Bulaga is the starting LEFT GUARD for the Packers.

Just like many other teams around the league, I think the Bills are taking a wait-and-see approach, given the unique CBA situation that is looming. Give them at least a couple of off-seasons before judging what they've done.

my thoughts exactly

Are you freakin' kidding me?

Sure, the NE Patriots players weren't laughing.

But I'm confident that the NE Patriots coaches were laughing all of last week.

They knew they won this game.

They didn't give a rats you-know-what about our offense.

They knew they could EASILY outscore the Bills.

I don't think outscoring us was as easy as they thought ;) (Ah...love the sound of frightened Pats fans in the morning)

I'd like to understand the basis for your belief that Belichek can laugh.

Are you sure he knows how?

Winfield went to Minnesota

Its Incognito, not Incardona

Bulaga is a backup, not starting

If your going to B word about something, at least gets your facts straight

I don't think for a second that Michael Vick should be the answer in Buffalo at ALL. I WILL however admit that if he had been the QB for this team we could have pulled off a 2-1. There is no question the guys is more talented then what is on our roster.

In that case, thank God the Bills didn't make the mistake of trading for Michael Vick.

The Bills need to find the answer at QB. The QB of the future is obviously not on the roster now, and hopefully will come in the 2011 draft. The best QBs in the draft are often taken in the first five picks, or even first overall. Acquiring a player like Vick would do nothing to help our quest to find the next Jim Kelly (Vick isn't the answer at QB), and his presence might push us out of the draft position we need to get that long-term answer.

There's a very real chance that 2011 could be a strike year, which would mean that whatever draft position the Bills have in 2011 will carry over into the 2012 draft as well. If a guy like Vick could spoil our draft position for two consecutive drafts, what possible benefit to the team could he bring to offset that?

Obviously, the Bills need to do a better job of winning games in the future than they've done in the past. But there's a right way and a wrong way to effect that change. The right way is to acquire a core of rock solid players--especially at the most crucial positions. Then you use free agents and lower round draft picks to fill in the rest. The wrong way is to place a TD-like emphasis on the short-term, while largely ignoring the goal of building a solid core of first-rate young talent. (His trade for an aging Drew Bledsoe was a case in point; as was his decision to use two early picks on running backs in the space of just three years.)

Our focus should instead be, "What kind of a team do we want to have three years from now?" And then we should add whichever players will best help us fulfill that three or four year plan.

In that case, thank God the Bills didn't make the mistake of trading for Michael Vick.

The Bills need to find the answer at QB. The QB of the future is obviously not on the roster now, and hopefully will come in the 2011 draft. The best QBs in the draft are often taken in the first five picks, or even first overall. Acquiring a player like Vick would do nothing to help our quest to find the next Jim Kelly (Vick isn't the answer at QB), and his presence might push us out of the draft position we need to get that long-term answer.

There's a very real chance that 2011 could be a strike year, which would mean that whatever draft position the Bills have in 2011 will carry over into the 2012 draft as well. If a guy like Vick could spoil our draft position for two consecutive drafts, what possible benefit to the team could he bring to offset that?

Obviously, the Bills need to do a better job of winning games in the future than they've done in the past. But there's a right way and a wrong way to effect that change. The right way is to acquire a core of rock solid players--especially at the most crucial positions. Then you use free agents and lower round draft picks to fill in the rest. The wrong way is to place a TD-like emphasis on the short-term, while largely ignoring the goal of building a solid core of first-rate young talent. (His trade for an aging Drew Bledsoe was a case in point; as was his decision to use two early picks on running backs in the space of just three years.)

Our focus should instead be, "What kind of a team do we want to have three years from now?" And then we should add whichever players will best help us fulfill that three or four year plan.

Personally, I think the Bills should be focused on 3.5 years from now.