OK, So I Can Decipher The Offense And Needs

BuffaloBaumer

I don't study positions and assignments the way some of you do so what in the world needs to be done to fix this? Is there anyone capable of playing this 3-4 besides the secondary? I NEVER hear names like Stroud anymore and it just seems that this D is far away from working. Aside from a pass rush which is non existent, what needs to be fixed to stop the run?

The defensive line contributes almost nothing. Williams make an occasional play but Edwards/Stroud are as invisible as our draft picks Troup/Carrington.

The linebackers are way below average. They can't stop the run, and can't cover. Not much talent in that group.

The safeties have been overhyped and played WAY below expectations. Whitner is a bust, and Byrd has not made one play this year.

The cornerbacks actually are playing at a pretty high level, and McKelvin has been a very pleasant surprise.

hmmm..it seems that the problem with the defensive line centers on the fact that the line can't rush or tackle, the linebackers are second rate defensive ends playing out of positions and the secondary isn't very good at covering receivers. Fix that and we're in contention! :wallbash:

I guess what I am looking for is....who absolutely cannot be on this defense next year and how many can be cut/contracts run out without damaging cap too much

I think similar to adequate QB play making it easier to identify what needs fixing in the offense, it is very hard to identify what the true defensive problems are when the pass rush is pathetic. NFL is a passing league more than ever, and with no pass rush the better QB's will carve you up and make everything look easy.

All of what NaPolian says is why I can't understand why they played the 4/2/5 yesterday. I know it's popular and all, and simple to pick up, but it sucked yesterday. Yesterday's game got me thinking about how important scheme is.

What did the Bills run in the game against the Patriots last year (opener) and the infamous game against the Cowboys back in 2008? Anybody remember? Just curious. I recall from the Cowboys game that some of the time, the linemen would be standing up, not in stance.

I noticed Dwan Edwards get pushed back about 4-5 yards on several runs yesterday. And Kelsay looks so bad on most plays that I would be embarrassed for him, if not for that report of a possible contract extension. I haven't done a lot of keying on individual defenders this year, though, so I'm as in the dark as anyone. Any of you hardcore fans who re-watch games care to weigh in?

Another way of looking it is not having playmakers, look at what happened when Kyle Williams made 2 plays. Having ML and Spiller have a good game helped the passing game as much as Fitz.

I am thinking not having Poz and Mitchell (I know ppl all think they suck but....)in there, is making more of a difference then is being admitted here. I hope our Miami castoffs will step up but that isn't the answer. The tackle and end play was crappy yesterday too but I can't blame Williams w/ no one properly backing him up.

Edited by bowery4