Chan's REAL Offense

YE OLE thinks it safe to say that yesterday was the first opportunity we had to see Chan Gailey's actual offense. I found it interesting that Chan said something to the effect of "We had some things called that we just didn't get off..." following the loss at Green Bay. Shortly following that Chan showed that he had and incredibly fast hook on Edwards. It's clear that Chan's offense simply wasn't being executed, thus the change. So, my question is... given that was our first look at Chan's actual offensive system with a little preparation and game planning, what do you think? I was fairly impressed. It's obvious that Fitzpatrick is an avg. QB, but he was definitely very productive in it. Hell, I think Moorman only punted the ball once yesterday. When is the last time that's happened? I was impressed. Lets see what we can do against the Jets.

Also, did anyone else think that Fitz looked different yesterday? The last time we saw this guy he looked like a scrappy guy, with a mediocre arm, and accuracy issues. He threw 2 bad picks yesterday, no argument from me on that, but overall he looked like he had much better velocity on the ball and was way more accurate than I expected. Trent was a lost cause, but it could be that Chan's already influenced Fitz's game. Lets see how the rest of the year plays out, maybe Chan can continue to coach him up.

We should try and control our excitement just a little.

Yes, Fitz played a good game. And the OL did their part by giving him time.

But the Pats defense is not very good this year, particularly the secondary.

Lets see what Fitz and company can do against a decent defense this Sunday before we start making superbowl reservations ;)

Lets see what Fitz and company can do against a decent defense this Sunday before we start making superbowl reservations ;)

You mean a defense that allowed Chad Henne to throw for 363 yards and 2 TDs?

Completely agree CodeMonkey. That's why I said lets see how the rest of the year plays out. What I did notice, however, was a much different QB than I saw last season. I was excited for Fitz to start because I just wanted to see the ball being thrown down field in any fashion. What I didn't expect was for him to complete over 70% of his passes and move the chains to the point where Moorman punted once the entire game. Now, I'm not saying to "crown his ass" but what I am saying is that perhaps Fitz is NOT "who we thought he was" ... lets just see how it plays out. Maybe Chan can coach this guy up.

Completely agree CodeMonkey. That's why I said lets see how the rest of the year plays out. What I did notice, however, was a much different QB than I saw last season. I was excited for Fitz to start because I just wanted to see the ball being thrown down field in any fashion. What I didn't expect was for him to complete over 70% of his passes and move the chains to the point where Moorman punted once the entire game. Now, I'm not saying to "crown his ass" but what I am saying is that perhaps Fitz is NOT "who we thought he was" ... lets just see how it plays out. Maybe Chan can coach this guy up.

IMO, Fitz>>>Stewart>>>Fiedler as a QB...Gailey could make him look pretty decent I think with his innovative playcalls...that playcall to Spiller on the WR screen was a thing of beauty

You'll notice that Chan made a similar move with CJ Spiller, yanking him from the starting role because he's just not ready yet. I do like that about Gailey - he'll make adjustments, both during the game and between games (unlike Jauron).

Fitz has one year left on his contract at $2.8M, so I still think we'll get a good look at Brian Brohm before the season's to far gone, but I think we learned yesterday that, with Fitz, the Bills are capable of playing some exciting football and are unlikely to finish 0-16, 2-14, or even 4-10 - we're gonna win some games before long...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

16 and 3, it might be!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

You'll notice that Chan made a similar move with CJ Spiller, yanking him from the starting role because he's just not ready yet. I do like that about Gailey - he'll make adjustments, both during the game and between games (unlike Jauron).

Fitz has one year left on his contract at $2.8M, so I still think we'll get a good look at Brian Brohm before the season's to far gone, but I think we learned yesterday that, with Fitz, the Bills are capable of playing some exciting football and are unlikely to finish 0-16, 2-14, or even 4-10 - we're gonna win some games before long...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Yeah, that is what I am worried about...Fitz is gonna ruin our chances at drafting the QB of the future...

+1

Every time one phase (or one player) of the team takes a step forward, it helps other aspects of the team. Fitz's play was a step better than Trent's and made the OL look better. That's how we should be looking at this thing. Every week, let's just take another step in the right direction. No one can argue that it was easier to watch yesterday's game than the first two. Anyone who expected grand-scale changes in talent or wins was just being too hopeful (myself included!). I'm surprised at the D seemingly taking a large step backwards, but with the change to the 3-4 (occasionally?) maybe I shouldn't be.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next week to see where we take the next "gettin' better" step.

Fitz has one year left on his contract at $2.8M, so I still think we'll get a good look at Brian Brohm before the season's to far gone, but I think we learned yesterday that, with Fitz...

Yeah, I think this year is starting off as planned. I was thinking yesterday that, in retrospect, starting TE made complete sense early on. Fitz is a bright guy, and one who likely has played up to his abilities the last few seasons, and he's proven he can come off the bench and give you what he has without a ton of first team reps, that was never the issue. TE was given the chance to sink or swim, and he went down for the third time, so reclamation project over.

IMO, Gailey said a lot of good things about Brohm in the preseason, so now I think the competition is on for real. If Brohm can supplant Fitz or Fitz stumbles, we see what Brohm can do, and if he shows limited or no promise then I see the next few years being Fitz or a player to be named as we develop a young guy who's not currently here... the thing is, in just an offseason and three games I believe this staff CAN develop a QB (based on the evaluation process that appears to currently be taking place), whereas I wouldn't have said that at any time of any staff in the last 10 years, despite wishing like hell that they could.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

I agree. Chan (if nothing else) is making adjustments and finding ways to get his team headed in the right direction. Why not give Trent the first two games to see what happens. He is the same guy so he is done. Chan wanted to really evaluate his qb situation and now he is getting the actual oppurtunity to do so. Trent showed that when the live bullets are flying, he can't perform. Fitz has shown that he is a gamer and isn't afraid to test a defense but that ultimately lead to the Bills defeat on Sunday. I too think that before long we are going to see Brian Brohm take over and see what he is able to accomplish with this team in a real game. Although if Fitz can string together some wins he might stay in there for the duration. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I think this is the first time I have been optimistic about this team when they are 0 - 3 lol. Good coaching decisions and progress make me happy. Now the progress and good decisions just need to continue. Sorry Trent, wish you the best. Maybe you could go battle Losman for his gig in the UFL :nana:

Behind this o-line, the QB needs to be able to run a little. Belichick was very afraid of Fitz's mobility and gunslinger mentality and with good reason.

You could say that about 60% of the teams in the NFL...let's stop acting like the Bills are the only team with Oline issues. When you average 7.1 yards per play and roll up 374 yards of offense, including averaging almost 6 YPC running the ball, the Oline obviously couldn't be that bad...as always, QB's have an ability to make bad Oline's look better...see Manning, Peyton who actually has a line that may be worse than ours right now.