Former Bills (still in NFL) vs Current Bills

papazoid

these are just the ones i know of....whats it all mean??....i don't know, but if we kept a few of them maybe we wouldn't have used top picks on players like Whitner, McKelvin, McCargo, Lynch, Maybin, etc....

Former Buffalo Bills still playing in the NFL:

Defensive Backs:

Antoine Winfield (min)

Nate Clements (sf)

Jabari Greer (no)

Jim Leonard (jets)

Pierson Prioleau (no)

Lawyer Milloy (sea)

Ko Simpson (det)

John Wendling (det)

Linebackers:

London Fletcher (wash)

Takeo Spikes (sf)

Coy Wire (atl)

Mario Haggan (den)

Defensive Lineman:

Pat Williams (min)

Anthony Hargrove (no)

Justin Bannam(den)

Ryan Denney(hou)

Offensive Lineman:

Jason Peters (phi)

Richie Incognito (mia)

Derrick Dockery (was)

Langston Walker (oak)

Mike Williams (was)

Wide Receivers:

Terrell Owens (cin)

Josh Reed (sd)

Running Backs:

Willis McGahee (bal)

Sammy Morris (ne)

I'll give you Terrell Owens. The team might have done him a favor by letting him find a team that was going to be competitive. He wasn't going to improve this team into a playoff contender. This team is not going to improve overnight.

Stop and look at your list and the dates that some of them last played here. Then, think about what has occurred over the past years (coaching staffs, salary cap, . . . )

Defensive Backs:

Antoine Winfield (min) - 2003

Nate Clements (sf) - 2006

Jabari Greer (no) - 2008

Jim Leonard (jets) - 2007

Pierson Prioleau (no) - 2004

Lawyer Milloy (sea) - 2005

Ko Simpson (det) - 2008 (and released from Det)

John Wendling (det) - 2009

Linebackers:

London Fletcher (wash) - 2006

Takeo Spikes (sf) - 2006

Coy Wire (atl) - 2007

Mario Haggan (den) - 2008

Defensive Lineman:

Pat Williams (min) - 2005

Anthony Hargrove (no) - 2008

Justin Bannam(den) - 2005

Ryan Denney(hou) - 2009

Offensive Lineman:

Jason Peters (phi) - 2008

Richie Incognito (mia) - 2009

Derrick Dockery (was) - 2008 (and in another post is on the hot seat in Wash)

Langston Walker (oak) - 2008

Mike Williams (was) - 2006 (on IR)

Wide Receivers:

Terrell Owens (cin) - 2009

Josh Reed (sd) - 2009

Running Backs:

Willis McGahee (bal) - 2006

Sammy Morris (ne) - 2006

Josh Reed isn't with San Diego anymore. Also, this thread is somewhat similar.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/119949-what-could-have-been/

A select few of these guys would come in and make a small impact at best.

As opposed to the guys we already have, who are making no impact whatsoever. The defensive lineup would have our existing lineup for breakfast. The offensive line would be better than what we have. I think Sam Aiken, who was cut by the patriots would probably fit on that team in both a special teams and number two receiver mode. Can't think of any qbacks still in the game although we might pull Kelly Holcombe or, god forbid, JP Losman out of retirement to get in there.

these are just the ones i know of....whats it all mean??....i don't know, but if we kept a few of them maybe we wouldn't have used top picks on players like Whitner, McKelvin, McCargo, Lynch, Maybin, etc....

Former Buffalo Bills still playing in the NFL:

Defensive Backs:

Antoine Winfield (min)

Nate Clements (sf)

Jabari Greer (no)

Jim Leonard (jets)

Pierson Prioleau (no)

Lawyer Milloy (sea)

Ko Simpson (det)

John Wendling (det)

Linebackers:

London Fletcher (wash)

Takeo Spikes (sf)

Coy Wire (atl)

Mario Haggan (den)

Defensive Lineman:

Pat Williams (min)

Anthony Hargrove (no)

Justin Bannam(den)

Ryan Denney(hou)

Offensive Lineman:

Jason Peters (phi)

Richie Incognito (mia)

Derrick Dockery (was)

Langston Walker (oak)

Mike Williams (was)

Wide Receivers:

Terrell Owens (cin)

Josh Reed (sd)

Running Backs:

Willis McGahee (bal)

Sammy Morris (ne)

I know, I can't believe we let Willis McGahee, Ryan Denney, MIKE WILLIAMS?, Ko Simpson and Nate Clements go! What idiots we have running things! Pat Williams, Fletcher, Incognito and possibly Winfield I'll give ya.

Were you going to guarantee Nate Clements $50M for an above average CB who lost his starting job in SF?

I agree I would love to still have P Williams (Donahue and G Williams blew that one BIG TIME), J Greer, Winfield, Clements and Spikes and Fletcher and even Hargrove and TO. But the salary cap would be full if we had all of them.

Bigger point is we do not have a QB and we are never going anywhere until we have a QB.

Were you going to guarantee Nate Clements $50M for an above average CB who lost his starting job in SF?

I agree I would love to still have P Williams (Donahue and G Williams blew that one BIG TIME), J Greer, Winfield, Clements and Spikes and Fletcher and even Hargrove and TO. But the salary cap would be full if we had all of them.

Bigger point is we do not have a QB and we are never going anywhere until we have a QB.

I believe Eric King and Duke Preston are still around.

There is really no one on that list , except Pat Williams and Richie Incognito , that I wish we would have kept. That list is pretty much a summary of a decade of draft and free agency futility.

The list also demonstrates the foolishness of trying to draw some single conclusion blaming any one GM or coach or simple policy (the bromide that we are too cheap or refuse to invest in the OL ignores the fact that Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker and #4 draft choice Williams are sitting fat and dumb on other teams still counting Bills millions).

The simple fact is it ain't all that simple as incredible succession of poor football decisions have created the current situation. Bad scouting, bad management, bad luck, and other factors across the reign of errors of Butler, TD, Marv, and a plethora of both failed and undermined HCs bear the blame for the current debacle.

If one insists on blaming one person the whines about Marv, Modrak, Jauron, or whomever are reduced to mere whines by ignoring the fact that the team sucked before they did their thang and the team sucked after their time in charge.

If one insists on stopping the buck with one person it has to be Mr. Ralph!

Even though he does rightly deserve his fair share of blame (it was only he and he alone who could make a handshake deal with Jimbo which not only blatantly violated the salary cap- but was simply a bad football judgment which delayed the Bills at least a year in acquiring the next QB, led to them over-reaching in many estimations in drafting TC in the 2nd, rushed TC to start when he clearly needed to have the happy-feet trained out of him if possible, traded value for Billy Joe Idiot, and on and on in the futile and fatal search for the next savior at QB), Mr. Ralph also deserves credit for not cashing out when he could and keeping the team here.

That being said, the list is a great one as it clearly demonstrates there is no single or simple explanation for what we got.

Was about to start a topic on this after watching some of the games this week. I think papazoid has a very good point, and many of you aren't giving enough credit to some of these players. Here are some of the players I wish the Bills would have kept:

Justin Bannan

Contract: Ravens - 4 years $8.1 million. Denver - 5 years $22 million.

Wouldn't have had to draft Troup in the 2nd as Bannan would rotate with Kyle Williams.

Ron Edwards

Contract: Chiefs - 4 years $7.5 million.

I realize that Ron Edwards was somewhat injury plagued while he was here, but the guy showed a lot of promise when healthy. Who would you rather see rotating at DE right now, Aaron Maybin or Ron Edwards? I believe Edwards would even be an upgrade over Stroud with the way he is playing.

Antoine Winfield

Contract: Vikings - 6 years $34.8 million. 5 year $36 million extension.

You just don't let players like Winfield go, and I don't wanna here the how could we afford him excuse. The Vikings are a small market team yet they manage to keep their star players, and sign free agents. The Vikings have extended such stars as Bryant McKinnie, Antoine Winfield, Kevin Williams, and Pat Williams. Not only have the resigned these players, they have added players like Steve Hutchinson and Jared Allen through free agency. Fact is, the Bills could have kept both Williams and Winfield they just chose not to.

Pat Williams

Contract: Vikings - 3 years $13 million. 3 year $22 million extension.

See above.

Even with only these 4 players, the Bills probably wouldn't have made the Marcus Stroud trade, we would have Dwan Edwards, Ron Edwards at DE, Pat Williams at NT, and Williams and Bannan could play either NT or DE. That front 3 rotation wouldn't look all that bad, and the Bills would have been able to focus on our LB's and OL through past drafts.

I realize a lot of this is flawed because the Bills didn't play a 3-4 then and this is all in hindsight, but most of these players could also play a 4-3. Also, if the Bills didn't switch to a 3-4, you could even add London Fletcher to this list.

Letting players like Clements and Greer walk weren't terrible moves, especially Clements, however the Bills are gonna remain in neutral if they keep letting talent walk and drafting replacements.

Edited by DaBills51