What are some realistic goals

ndirish1978

This years' Bills is one of the worst teams I can remember in all my years as a fan. I hope they turn it around next week and we win 10 games and make it to the playoffs, but I think we could all agree that is a pipe dream with the personnel we have now. That being said, we are in year 1 of what should be at least a 3 year rebuilding plan. What would you like to see the Bills get out of this season? Here's what I'd like to see.

1- Empty the Cupboard at QB

Start Brohm for a few games. Edwards is over and Fitz started a good portion of last season and we know what kind of QB he is- solid depth but not a starter. Maybe we get lucky and Brohm surprises us. But chances are we draft a rd 1 QB next year. Edwards is a liability and only hinders the development of any of our receivers.

2- Expose personnel who can't play in the 3-4 and get rid of them.

See if Maybin can play at all. Let him sink or swim, around game 5 he needs to be left in the game longer so we can see if he will actually develop in this system. The FO doesn't like him, so they could try for a trade in the offseason once he falls flat on his face.

3- Find out if we have any young talent on the O-line

Start one of our young guys at RT for the rest of the season. Then give Green his walking papers ASAP.

4- Fire Modrak.

Yes, he is responsible for our draft grades and not the actual drafting. But our draft grades have sucked for 10 years.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could share some thoughts on things that actually COULD happen. I'm still watching every game this year, but it gets discouraging watching a team you love show so little week after week. At least by looking at subsets in a game I can come away with a modicum of satisfaction. Like saying "hey, Troupe really could be a good player in this league" or "Meredith or Urbik could be a legit tackle."

Edited by ndirish1978

We're actually in Year 10 of a perpetual rebuilding plan.

A realistic goal for the season would be putting the Depends on one leg at a time. Yes I am bitter. Seriously, try and improve every game, get the 3-4 system in place and then find out who should be here and who should be gone. Figure the personel so that the Bills go into next season with a very firm grasp on where the holes are. It has been a long time since the team was decent and it is going to take a few more. Unless Nix is not the GM we are hoping for then it is rinse and repeat 3 years from now.

A realistic goal for the season would be putting the Depends on one leg at a time. Yes I am bitter. Seriously, try and improve every game, get the 3-4 system in place and then find out who should be here and who should be gone. Figure the personel so that the Bills go into next season with a very firm grasp on where the holes are. It has been a long time since the team was decent and it is going to take a few more. Unless Nix is not the GM we are hoping for then it is rinse and repeat 3 years from now.

I agree. Unfortunately due to injury we will not find out about Wang or Easley. Brown was a bust already. Spiller is going to need to be something special to convince me he wasn't a bad pick. Pre-season is one thing, but he has done nothing in 2 games, whereas Detroit's 1st rd rb has played well.

This years' Bills is one of the worst teams I can remember in all my years as a fan. I hope they turn it around next week and we win 10 games and make it to the playoffs, but I think we could all agree that is a pipe dream with the personnel we have now. That being said, we are in year 1 of what should be at least a 3 year rebuilding plan. What would you like to see the Bills get out of this season? Here's what I'd like to see.

1- Empty the Cupboard at QB

Start Brohm for a few games. Edwards is over and Fitz started a good portion of last season and we know what kind of QB he is- solid depth but not a starter. Maybe we get lucky and Brohm surprises us. But chances are we draft a rd 1 QB next year. Edwards is a liability and only hinders the development of any of our receivers.

See if Maybin can play at all. Let him sink or swim, around game 5 he needs to be left in the game longer so we can see if he will actually develop in this system. The FO doesn't like him, so they could try for a trade in the offseason once he falls flat on his face.

3- Find out if we have any young talent on the O-line

Start one of our young guys at RT for the rest of the season. Then give Green his walking papers ASAP.

4- Fire Modrak.

Yes, he is responsible for our draft grades and not the actual drafting. But our draft grades have sucked for 10 years.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could share some thoughts on things that actually COULD happen. I'm still watching every game this year, but it gets discouraging watching a team you love show so little week after week. At least by looking at subsets in a game I can come away with a modicum of satisfaction. Like saying "hey, Troupe really could be a good player in this league" or "Meredith or Urbik could be a legit tackle."

These are all things that I think would be a great start. If I'm the Bills, I think you have to compete until you're totally out of it (which may only be Week 8 or 9) and then you start cutting dead weight, bringing guys in off the street/other teams practice squads, and generally just searching for diamonds in the rough. I want a full rebuilding effort, from the ground up. We've tried and failed for too many years to rebuild while still trying to compete. It just won't work. Let's get a Top 3 pick, trade away our veterans, and really start this thing over. A total blow up is the only solution, in my opinion.

These are all things that I think would be a great start. If I'm the Bills, I think you have to compete until you're totally out of it (which may only be Week 8 or 9) and then you start cutting dead weight, bringing guys in off the street/other teams practice squads, and generally just searching for diamonds in the rough. I want a full rebuilding effort, from the ground up. We've tried and failed for too many years to rebuild while still trying to compete. It just won't work. Let's get a Top 3 pick, trade away our veterans, and really start this thing over. A total blow up is the only solution, in my opinion.

At this point I think you may have to trade veterans just to get some high picks. I really do feel sorry for guys like Evans and Moulds who had a chance to be special in this league, but had to play for us and our revolving carousel of incompetent QBs. Trade the vets who don't fit in and try like hell to pick up the pieces here.

The team needs to be sold. If it's not economical to put a winner on the field in Buffalo, then the team needs to move. Before they move, I would like to see one of the groups talking about keeping the team in WNY given a shot at turning it around.

I know Mr. Wilson has said that he won't sell the team, but I'm hoping he sees the light before he "Sees The Light."

The Bills have been compared to the Pirates, well there is one thing the Pirates ( and Blue Jays ) have done recently that should start to pay dividends. Build the biggest and best scouting staff in the NFL. It will cost RW a lot less to pay a scout than to overpay guys like Walker and Dockery as well as help eliminate first round errors which are really cost prohibitive. Nix is an old scout, he has to make the case that it is the economical way to go. If you plan on building through the draft you better have the best information available. Baseball and Football are fundamentally different when it comes to building farm systems ect.. but if you want a winner that keeps producing and you want to ditch players when they really want to get paid you need a first class scouting department. I know it is obvious but it also true that it obviously hasn't happened at OBD. That should be the first goal and it is realistic.

Figure out how to avoid injuries with what young talent we do have. Puz and Spiller more specifically. Try and go out and find a receiver in the rough that can complement Evans for a few years. Other than that just be competitive, develop an offensive strategy that allows us to score a few touchdowns a game and just keep us competitive. It's going to be a rough year but if things just generally look to be getting better by the end of the year I'll be happy. I will consider the next draft a realistic goal for this year as well, so I want to see us come out with a strong draft strategy and stick to it, that concerns what's been said about with getting good scouts to grade out prospects properly.

We're actually in Year 10 of perpetual rebuilding plans.

Fixed.

There are so many realistic goals for this team, it isn't hard. I mean, we can't turn this team into a top ten team easy, but improving at least a little bit shouldn't be hard.

As far as firing modrak, I agree with it very much. I have a question though, if someone in that position gets fired, when is it they would usually get canned? Right now you would think that it would be the busy season looking at players in the college games.... so firing him now doesn't seem to be realistic, if that is the case. Though that is something I really don't know about.... our drafting, mainly in the high rounds, has sucked. We made too many mistakes with whitner, losman, maybin, etc. We obviously have to draft better. Firing modrak and bringing in a better evaluater would be great...and I am sure nix (or whaley) would know someone better that they could bring in.... which is our only hope. Because no one who is actually good would come to buffalo just for the hell of it. They would have to come here because they actually respected/worked with Nix before.

A big "yes" to this one. I want to see Carrington, Moats, Coleman, etc. get quite a bit of game action sooner rather than later. This teams needs to find out now if they have any starting potential in a 3-4. Can they be any worse than Maybin and Kelsay as LB's?

The team needs to be sold. If it's not economical to put a winner on the field in Buffalo, then the team needs to move. Before they move, I would like to see one of the groups talking about keeping the team in WNY given a shot at turning it around.

I know Mr. Wilson has said that he won't sell the team, but I'm hoping he sees the light before he "Sees The Light."

This I don't believe at all, In the 90's Bill Polian proved that the fans will fill every seat if you put a winner on the field.

The problem with the current Buffalo Bills is that RW resorts to old habits and tries to save money in every aspect, forgetting what Polian taught him. That with a perpetual playoff team in Buffalo Wilson could charge top $$ for luxury boxes and the stadium would sell out, shoot they might even get a waiting list .

OTOH, it makes perfect sense to keep the team constantly mediocre and on the verge of being good, that way the owner doesn't need to hire expensive coaches-GM-players keeping seats filled and yet costs down.

I think it would be much more challenging to build the winner as he would have to pay the coaches and players up front to kick start the franchise, and who knows he might get a Ryan Leaf or two along the way. Most people always take the easier path in almost every instance, Wilson is no exception