MMQB - PK

LABills08

Factoid of the Week That May Interest Only Me

Mike Florio of Profootballtalk.com ran the team-by-team salary-cap figures on his site Sunday. What intrigued me is that the last two teams on the list -- Tampa Bay ($80.8 million) and Kansas City ($84.5 million) -- are 2-0, and two of the four highest-paying teams -- Dallas ($166.5 million) and Minnesota ($143.4 million) are 0-2.

Link

In other words, lets give this small market team crap a break. How much more evidence do we need to indict Ralph Wilson on all charges of running one of those mismanaged NFL franchises in history. Aside from our Bill Polian orchestrated days of dominance, the Bills have been astonishingly mediocre. It all goes back to this guy. And without going on a rant about all of the examples of this, I'll just circle back to Peter King's column.

Unbeknownst to Peter, many of the players/coaches he has been praising frequently this season....shock...were once members of the Bills, written off by the management and sometimes by the fans. I'll just start with a short list, that will likely expand as the weeks go by.

-Gregg Williams

-Alex Van Pelt

-Anthony Hargrove

-Jabari Greer

-Richie Incognito

Not to mention the huge list of young players PK mentions that were on record as supposedly being on the Bills radar on draft day, yet passed over in favor of the guys I need not mention.

Anyways, you can bash PK all you want. Don't care about that. I'm just using his column as a point of record. Fact is, I'm not so sure the Bills improve with the current ownership situation. Many players, coaches and GMs have come and gone over the course of the Bills history. But, there has been one common denominator. And I'm not sure anything changes until Ralph Wilson moves on.

Edited by Union2008

I tell ya....Ralph is fortunate to get into the Hall of Fame when he did. With each passing year, this franchise becomes more of an indictment on him as an owner. Not all his fault of course, but when you own the business, it all falls back on you.

Mike Florio of Profootballtalk.com ran the team-by-team salary-cap figures on his site Sunday. What intrigued me is that the last two teams on the list -- Tampa Bay ($80.8 million) and Kansas City ($84.5 million) -- are 2-0, and two of the four highest-paying teams -- Dallas ($166.5 million) and Minnesota ($143.4 million) are 0-2.

Link

In other words, lets give this small market team crap a break. How much more evidence do we need to indict Ralph Wilson on all charges of running one of those mismanaged NFL franchises in history. Aside from our Bill Polian orchestrated days of dominance, the Bills have been astonishingly mediocre. It all goes back to this guy. And without going on a rant about all of the examples of this, I'll just circle back to Peter King's column.

Unbeknownst to Peter, many of the players/coaches he has been praising frequently this season....shock...were once members of the Bills, written off by the management and sometimes by the fans. I'll just start with a short list, that will likely expand as the weeks go by.

-Gregg Williams

-Alex Van Pelt

-Anthony Hargrove

-Jabari Greer

-Richie Incognito

Not to mention the huge list of young players PK mentions that were on record as supposedly being on the Bills radar on draft day, yet passed over in favor of the guys I need not mention.

Anyways, you can bash PK all you want. Don't care about that. I'm just using his column as a point of record. Fact is, I'm not so sure the Bills improve with the current ownership situation. Many players, coaches and GMs have come and gone over the course of the Bills history. But, there has been one common denominator. And I'm not sure anything changes until Ralph Wilson moves on.

Why should we give it a break? Four teams from two games in one season without the salary cap is basically the definition of statistically insignificant. Ignore the fact that both Tampa and KC beat a pathetic Cleveland for one of their victories (narrow victories at that) and are still a long shot to even sniff the playoffs. You want to go into long-term outlooks for small market teams? Look no further than baseball. Or the NFL before the salary cap with the 49ers and Cowboys dynasties.

Truth be told, I'm getting a little sick of the NFL with it's ridiculous penalties and it's desparation to continue to grow and grow and grow (as evidenced by the new draft format and the insistence on playing games abroad every year). The elimination of the salary cap would finally put the nail in the coffin for me.

As to your players:

Gregg Williams - terrible head coach. Sure he's a great defensive coordinator, but that wasn't his position here, was it?

Alex Van Pelt - what?

Anthony Hargrove - a guy I wish we had stuck with, despite the legal troubles. Funny though how people are dying to jettison Lynch for similar transgressions.

Jabari Greer - a nice CB on a team loaded with them. Took a few years extra to develop, but his ceiling isn't nearly as high as McKelvin's.

Richie Incognito - could he play tackle and none of us knew it??

As to your players:

Gregg Williams - terrible head coach. Sure he's a great defensive coordinator, but that wasn't his position here, was it?

Alex Van Pelt - what?

Anthony Hargrove - a guy I wish we had stuck with, despite the legal troubles. Funny though how people are dying to jettison Lynch for similar transgressions.

Jabari Greer - a nice CB on a team loaded with them. Took a few years extra to develop, but his ceiling isn't nearly as high as McKelvin's.

Richie Incognito - could he play tackle and none of us knew it??

I agree with this assesment. Especially with Greg Williams... the guy made our defense a stud, but as an HC he was just horrific. there are so many great coordinators that shouldn't be a HC (see wade philips).

Anthony Hargrove should have been obvious, more obvious than Greer but people don't reconize it as often. When hargrove was suspended, our defense looked a lot worse, and when he came back, we played a lot better. Ridding him was one of Marv's "character" moves, which hurt our team talent wise.

Personally, I would have liked to have kept Greer and drafted someone else instead of mcckelvin, just because DBs is one position that doesn't need any attention... but I will admit, mcckelvin is getting better and better, and he is definently an upgrade over greer.... just sucks that so many other positions are very weak.

As far as incognito, I wasn't a huge fan like others here.... and I really didn't want him starting at guard when we had wood/levitre. But I did wish the bills signed his tender and kept him, at least for depth purposes because we lacked depth badly. And I wish we did it more now seeing incognito playing pretty well for a division rival. He looked good in that vikings game.

Alex Van Pelt? I remember in 2001 he threw for 300 yards and 3 TDs at home against the Jets. Is that why King was talking about him? Because, who cares about any of the things he thinks he thinks? Last year following the Week 1 loss in New England he was gushing about Trent Edwards. At this point, I'll take Van Pelt under center.

Link

-Gregg Williams

-Alex Van Pelt

-Anthony Hargrove

-Jabari Greer

-Richie Incognito

I see what you're saying and respect the hell out of PK, but I don't think your point hold sup that well unless you come up with some sort of comparison to other teams in the league missing the boat on players/coaches.

Link

-Gregg Williams

-Alex Van Pelt

-Anthony Hargrove

-Jabari Greer

-Richie Incognito

The sample size here is to small to have a valid conclusion, lets wait a few weeks and hope Dallas really does suck. I think Tampa may be for real also.