John fox Coach of the year

ICE

From Lenny P....

"Coaching them up

As has been the case the past few seasons, there are an abundance of legitimate coach of the year candidates for 2004. Bill Belichick. Andy Reid. Bill Cowher. Jim Mora. Marty Schottenheimer. But the man who is perhaps doing the best coaching job in the league at this moment, John Fox of Carolina, certainly deserves a shout-out.

Fox won't win the award. Heck, his team might not even make the playoffs, not after a 1-7 start marred by so many injuries. But the fact that the prideful Panthers and their coach didn't long ago throw in the towel on this season -- and, Lord knows, they had justification for doing so -- truly is remarkable.

Fox suggested, following Sunday's 33-21 victory at New Orleans, that the Panthers have "become a new football team." We hate to disagree with a guy whom we are lauding but, in winning for the fourth straight time and remaining on the fringes of playoff contention, Carolina has persevered because it hasn't changed its MO very much at all. Indeed, at a time when some teams are just chameleons, the Panthers retain the same formula that drove them to a Super Bowl berth only a year ago. The difference is that they are making plays now.

Quarterback Jake Delhomme, so error prone just a month ago (seven touchdown passes offset by eight interceptions during an ugly six-game losing skein), has thrown for eight scores and just two pickoffs in the four wins. Nick Goings, basically the team's No. 4 tailback, has strung together three straight 100-yard outings, including an impressive 36-carry, 122-yard game on Sunday afternoon. Aging wideout Muhsin Muhammad (10 catches for 179 yards on Sunday) has resurrected his career. Defensive end Julius Peppers has become both a force and a leader.

But it all starts with Fox, a sort of human rudder for the Panthers, and he certainly has righted the ship. The Panthers still play sound football, run the ball, count on winning close games. And, oh, yeah, they still count on kicker John Kasay, too, who hammered home six field goals in the Superdome.

This is a team that, because of 14 injuries and the loss of its top two tailbacks, most explosive wide receiver and best defensive tackle in the league, lost its already skinny margin for error. But it has persevered and, for that, Fox deserves a nod."

I agree 100%. 1-7 and they cowboy up after such devistating injuries. but hey...he doesn't interview well.... ;)

Or it could be that they've beaten Arizona, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, and New Orleans. Yeah, it's probably that.

;)

John Fox for coach of the year? What a joke. Marty Schottenheimer has the team that had the worst record in the NFL leading an AFC division by 2 games and a guy with 5 wins is even getting mentioned? Yeah, this thread is smart.

Agreed....where are all the front-running smartas$es who kept asking after week 8:  "Where are all the people who wanted John Fox now?"? 

4 in a row with their ONLY 3 playmakers on offense injured....amazing.

148468[/snapback]

Here is the funny, they have all tiebreakers over the other 5-7 teams and are 1 game out of the final NFC Wildcard. Wouldn't just be the sh-- if they make it all the way back and upset Philly in a play off game ;)

Here is the funny, they have all tiebreakers over the other 5-7 teams and are 1 game out of the final NFC Wildcard. Wouldn't just be the sh-- if they make it all the way back and upset Philly in a play off game  ;)

148479[/snapback]

If that did happen, I would close the Walt Whitman and the Ben Freanklin bridges after that game if I were the city of Philadelphia :(

Or it could be that they've beaten Arizona, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, and New Orleans.  Yeah, it's probably that.

;)

John Fox for coach of the year?  What a joke.  Marty Schottenheimer has the team that had the worst record in the NFL leading an AFC division by 2 games and a guy with 5 wins is even getting mentioned?  Yeah, this thread is smart.

148477[/snapback]

How bout them super Chargers? Didn't you say you were King Kong or something if they beat Denver or was that someone else? Packers looked good yesterday :(

Guest Mikey Vee 7
Or it could be that they've beaten Arizona, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, and New Orleans.  Yeah, it's probably that.

;)

John Fox for coach of the year?  What a joke.  Marty Schottenheimer has the team that had the worst record in the NFL leading an AFC division by 2 games and a guy with 5 wins is even getting mentioned?  Yeah, this thread is smart.

148477[/snapback]

Tampa Bay is a joke. Their defense really stinks.

From Lenny P....

"Coaching them up

As has been the case the past few seasons, there are an abundance of legitimate coach of the year candidates for 2004. Bill Belichick. Andy Reid. Bill Cowher. Jim Mora. Marty Schottenheimer. But the man who is perhaps doing the best coaching job in the league at this moment, John Fox of Carolina, certainly deserves a shout-out.

Fox won't win the award. Heck, his team might not even make the playoffs, not after a 1-7 start marred by so many injuries. But the fact that the prideful Panthers and their coach didn't long ago throw in the towel on this season -- and, Lord knows, they had justification for doing so -- truly is remarkable.

Fox suggested, following Sunday's 33-21 victory at New Orleans, that the Panthers have "become a new football team." We hate to disagree with a guy whom we are lauding but, in winning for the fourth straight time and remaining on the fringes of playoff contention, Carolina has persevered because it hasn't changed its MO very much at all. Indeed, at a time when some teams are just chameleons, the Panthers retain the same formula that drove them to a Super Bowl berth only a year ago. The difference is that they are making plays now.

Quarterback Jake Delhomme, so error prone just a month ago (seven touchdown passes offset by eight interceptions during an ugly six-game losing skein), has thrown for eight scores and just two pickoffs in the four wins. Nick Goings, basically the team's No. 4 tailback, has strung together three straight 100-yard outings, including an impressive 36-carry, 122-yard game on Sunday afternoon. Aging wideout Muhsin Muhammad (10 catches for 179 yards on Sunday) has resurrected his career. Defensive end Julius Peppers has become both a force and a leader.

But it all starts with Fox, a sort of human rudder for the Panthers, and he certainly has righted the ship. The Panthers still play sound football, run the ball, count on winning close games. And, oh, yeah, they still count on kicker John Kasay, too, who hammered home six field goals in the Superdome.

This is a team that, because of 14 injuries and the loss of its top two tailbacks, most explosive wide receiver and best defensive tackle in the league, lost its already skinny margin for error. But it has persevered and, for that, Fox deserves a nod."

I agree 100%. 1-7 and they cowboy up after such devistating injuries.  but hey...he doesn't interview well.... ;)

148450[/snapback]

It just goes to show that everyone can have an off day or two. So what if you interview poorly. Looking at the character of the person is much more important than answering basic questions about what to do with a new football team.

;)

148477[/snapback]

Actually yeah dumb ass. Fox is a winner and can get a bunch of scrubs to fight hard enough to get back into the playoff hunt. Let most teams lose 14 players including the stars that they have lost and see how they do.

I can't agree with you.  Carolina is now 5 and 7. The B'gals are 6 - 6 and like CAR, had a bunch on IR assignments (13 or so).

Lewis for HC of the year? Nope. They were 8 -8 last year. Panthers were a bit better...

148665[/snapback]

Which furthers the point. Panthers lost most of the talent it took to get to the superbowl last year. Cinci? apperantly not much since they are at .500 just like last year.

How bout them super Chargers?  Didn't you say you were King Kong or something if they beat Denver or was that someone else?  Packers looked good yesterday  :devil:

148500[/snapback]

It weren't (sic) me. I haven't said anything about the Chargers this year. The Pack sucked yesterday, which really caught me by surprise. Still, the Eagles have been regular season champs for a few years here. The playoffs are what matters and they haven't won the NFC Championship yet.

Which furthers the point. Panthers lost most of the talent it took to get to the superbowl last year. Cinci? apperantly not much since they are at .500 just like last year.

148671[/snapback]

It doesn't furthur the point. It does, if you insist, point out that the Panthers were much more dependent on a smaller core of players, and weren't quite as deep as the B'gals (and after 13 years of watching Cincy, I am amazed I could make that statement).

Fox's early decision to go for two in last year's SB changed everything in that game.

A Class A jerk move.

While I am barking at you:

1) Playing the Infant TinkerToy Conference Losman now = Ryan Leaf, Todd Marinovich, Akili Smith results, etc.

2) Agreed - 7 turnovers and 10 point victory (7 in the waning minutes) didn't impress me either.

It doesn't furthur the point. It does, if you insist, point out that the Panthers were much more dependent on a smaller core of players, and weren't quite as deep as the B'gals (and after 13 years of watching Cincy, I am amazed I could make that statement).

Fox's early decision to go for two in last year's SB changed everything in that game.

A Class A jerk move.

While I am barking at you:

1) Playing the Infant TinkerToy Conference Losman now = Ryan Leaf, Todd Marinovich, Akili Smith results, etc.

2) Agreed - 7 turnovers and 10 point victory (7 in the waning minutes) didn't impress me either.

148707[/snapback]

Yeah playing a rookie really has hurt Pittsburgh huh? As for Fox, he is a winner and has rallied the troops to start winning. The man is hands down COTY

Lastly I agree 7 damn turnovers and that is it? Good thing Miami handed them to us.

Yeah playing a rookie really has hurt Pittsburgh huh?  As for Fox, he is a winner and has rallied the troops to start winning. The man is hands down COTY

148722[/snapback]

Wow. You really know your football. :devil:

They beaten 4 teams who've won a total of 2 of their last 13 games (Tampa Bay has both wins) so their coach is hands down coach of the year? I guess Marty Schottenheimer is Coach of the Millenium then. 9-3 record (including a win over YOUR COtY candidate), 2 game division lead in the AFC, already 5 more wins than all last season. Though he'll still choke in the playoffs.

Just when I think you've made your most moronic statement, you smash it like dropping an anvil on a pea from 10,000 feet.

Wow.  You really know your football.  :devil:

They beaten 4 teams who've won a total of 2 of their last 13 games (Tampa Bay has both wins) so their coach is hands down coach of the year?  I guess Marty Schottenheimer is Coach of the Millenium then.  9-3 record (including a win over YOUR COtY candidate), 2 game division lead in the AFC, already 5 more wins than all last season.

Just when I think you've made your most moronic statement, you smash it like dropping an anvil on a pea from 10,000 feet.

148741[/snapback]

And who has Buffalo Beaten again? What is the combined W/L record? Funny....we only lost one CB that really wasn't doing sh-- when he got hurt, let alone the best DT in football, Both starting RB's (including a probowler) a probowl type WR and on and on and on.

And who has Buffalo Beaten again?  What is the combined W/L record?  Funny....we only lost one CB that really wasn't doing sh-- when he got hurt, let alone the best DT in football, Both starting RB's (including a probowler) a probowl type WR and on and on and on.

148745[/snapback]

What is: "Losing the Argument Horribly, So I'll Deflect to Something Else"?

I'm sure you expected SD to have a 2 game division lead at the week 13 point, huh Rainman? :devil: