Something to watch for this week

Simon

There was some talk last week about how Trent Edwards was too quick to leave the pocket and how there were a bunch of times that he could have stepped up into that pocket to buy time. I really think some of y'all should look at things a little closer today before making such statements. Watching a game from a traditional lateral angle, it can be difficult to tell what's going on in the interior of the OLine unless you're really looking for it. What might look like a pocket behind the OT you're staring at might actually only be a briefly appearing bit of space about to be filled by a guy looping under on a stunt or a guy gradually pushing an interior OLineman into the space where the QB needs to step or even an optical illusion created by viewing a two dimensional image from that side angle.

While there was a couple times that Trent took off too early because he knows his OLine can't protect consistently for more than a couple seconds, the vast majority of the time that imaginary pocket simply did not exist. For those of you who have already made up your minds what happened before the ball was even snapped, nothing is going to change your perspective. But those of you who actually want to know what's going on, watch that pocket with the understanding that you're looking at a lateral angle and with the anticipation of what that space is going to look like a couple seconds after the QB hits his drop, not right when he hits it. Understanding this and keeping it in mind will give you a much more realistic idea of what's actually going on out there, which will hopefully be much different from last week.

There was some talk last week about how Trent Edwards was too quick to leave the pocket and how there were a bunch of times that he could have stepped up into that pocket to buy time. I really think some of y'all should look at things a little closer today before making such statements. Watching a game from a traditional lateral angle, it can be difficult to tell what's going on in the interior of the OLine unless you're really looking for it. What might look like a pocket behind the OT you're staring at might actually only be a briefly appearing bit of space about to be filled by a guy looping under on a stunt or a guy gradually pushing an interior OLineman into the space where the QB needs to step or even an optical illusion created by viewing a two dimensional image from that side angle.

While there was a couple times that Trent took off too early because he knows his OLine can't protect consistently for more than a couple seconds, the vast majority of the time that imaginary pocket simply did not exist. For those of you who have already made up your minds what happened before the ball was even snapped, nothing is going to change your perspective. But those of you who actually want to know what's going on, watch that pocket with the understanding that you're looking at a lateral angle and with the anticipation of what that space is going to look like a couple seconds after the QB hits his drop, not right when he hits it. Understanding this and keeping it in mind will give you a much more realistic idea of what's actually going on out there, which will hopefully be much different from last week.

If I were the GM.. With my first 2 picks of the next draft, I would select the 2 best Offensive Tackles available.. Critics be damned!!

Is it just me, or would television broadcasts and viewer knowledge take a turn for the better using a Madden style camera view from behind the QB? I think viewers would get to see more of how a play develops and get a better idea of what the players are seeing from their perspective.

Granted I know this would be a tough option as stadiums are configures for sideline style broadcasts

Knowledgeable post as usual, Simon.

There's a reason coaches tape is taken from an elevated end-zone angle.

I'll leave it to the armchair coaches to figure out why.

GO BILLS!!!

Many years ago my father purchased season tickets for the Sabres, 2 seats behind the Buffalo goal.. It was the first year they raised the roof and we sat in the Orange, section 16, row D seats 10and 11... I asked my father why he got seats at the end of the arena? He replied, "Because you can see the play developing. If you don't believe me, look and see where Punch Imlach is sitting!" Ounch sat at the other end of the building above the golds behind the visitor's net.. After that day I was glad we sat where we did!!...

I will say for football games, I like sitting in the upper deck as near to field and as close to the 50 yard line as I can get.. A football field is just too big to really see everything at the far end of the stadium.. However, I do know what you mean and understand the reason for end zone cameras..

There's a reason coaches tape is taken from an elevated end-zone angle.

It can be tough to see exactly what's going on in there, even when you're looking for it. I know I got fooled once last week thinking he should have stepped up but an endzone replay showed that if he had held the ball and taken two steps forward, he'd have likely gone straight to the hospital.

If I were the GM.. With my first 2 picks of the next draft, I would select the 2 best Offensive Tackles available.. Critics be damned!!

I'm not sure there'd be a whole lot of critics of that move.

Is it just me, or would television broadcasts and viewer knowledge take a turn for the better using a Madden style camera view from behind the QB? I think viewers would get to see more of how a play develops and get a better idea of what the players are seeing from their perspective.

Granted I know this would be a tough option as stadiums are configures for sideline style broadcasts

It'd be fine with me too, but the networks will never just show the backs of the offensive players. Just like they'll never show the whole field so you can see routes and coverages develop in realtime because instead they want close-ups of Peyton Manning's nosehairs. They think they can make more $$$ selling superstars than they can selling the actual game. And they might be right.

Great post. Is it just me, or are we giving away our gameplan that we will be running the ball more this week. Doesn't that mean more stacked boxes and the need to throw the ball -- which means we're back to square one where we were last week, trying to get Trent passes to keep the D honest. I've very worried of a repeat offensive week.

It'd be fine with me too, but the networks will never just show the backs of the offensive players. Just like they'll never show the whole field so you can see routes and coverages develop in realtime because instead they want close-ups of Peyton Manning's nosehairs. They think they can make more $$$ selling superstars than they can selling the actual game. And they might be right.

I agree, Manning's nose hair is quite marketable and companies like Gillette pay a lot of money to market their nose hair care products to those who want to shave like Peyton.

Perhaps a project like this would be best undertaken by the NFL Network as a premium subscription broadcast. You know something useful other than their NFL RedZone crap they got going now

I will say for football games, I like sitting in the upper deck as near to field and as close to the 50 yard line as I can get.. A football field is just too big to really see everything at the far end of the stadium.

+1 (see name ;) )

I'm no Trent fan but during the game I was watching the receivers down field when Trent seemed to hold the ball too long and I didn't see anyone open. Now, if he had the confidence and accuracy he probably could have squeezed it in to someone. Trent is too quick to check down but our receivers are part of the problem.

I think another thing to look for will be how long before Trent throws the ball. A good QB getting blitzed gets rid of the ball within 2-3 seconds, as soon as he plants his back foot. I'm fairly certain the line won't hold up and give him a nice pocket to survey the field. So, he's got to recognize where the blitz is, make a quick decision, and throw the ball.

My guess... there won't be a pocket nor will Trent plant his foot and throw. Hence, the pass rush will continue all day and completely shut the offense down. I truly hope to be wrong.

Perhaps a project like this would be best undertaken by the NFL Network as a premium subscription broadcast. You know something useful other than their NFL RedZone crap they got going now

I've been drooling over that idea for several years now and am too embarrassed to estimate the amount of money I'd throw at it. :blush:

Although a workable experiment might be that when they do their shortened rebroadcasts of game during the following week, maybe they should show the entire game using the endzone cameras. I never bother rewatching a game, but if they did that I might actually tune in.

Great post. Is it just me, or are we giving away our gameplan that we will be running the ball more this week. Doesn't that mean more stacked boxes and the need to throw the ball -- which means we're back to square one where we were last week, trying to get Trent passes to keep the D honest. I've very worried of a repeat offensive week.

Along with an increased commitment to the rungame, I expect to see more max protect with shots downfield sprinkled in.

I think another thing to look for will be how long before Trent throws the ball. A good QB getting blitzed gets rid of the ball within 2-3 seconds, as soon as he plants his back foot. I'm fairly certain the line won't hold up and give him a nice pocket to survey the field. So, he's got to recognize where the blitz is, make a quick decision, and throw the ball.

My guess... there won't be a pocket nor will Trent plant his foot and throw.

Now this is something worth giving Trent some grief about. He has got to recognize and get the ball out quicker.

Nice post, Simon, however, the only thing I will point out is that watching the live game vs. watching on TV sometimes shows a different perspective. I just hope Trent doesn't do his "lock-on" routine today. Grrrrrrr