(OT) Saw Trans-Siberian Orchestra yesterday

Fezmid

Saw TSO play at the Xcel Energy Center last night. Awesome show!

First, we had great seats -- 10th row from the stage on the side where the local strings were. Great view, and some of the local people looked pumped to be there. There was an old guy (who I thought may fall asleep during the show), but even he started moving to the music from time to time. ;)

it started off with a check for $9600 donated to a local charity. $1/ticket went to the charity, and apparantly this was the largest crowd they've ever played in front of. I thought it looked like more than 9600 people there, but I guess not. Still impressive.

A few minutes later they started playing. Laser lights filled the arena and it was pretty cool. Excellent storytelling (I love the narrator; I saw him last year as well and think he does a great job), excellent music, the whole thing rocked. :(

The only disappointment was in the song, "An Old City Bar." I *LOVE* that song, brings a tear to my eye every time. But the guy that sang it yesterday was terrible. I wasn't moved at all. :lol: Very disappointing (since I look forward to hearing that one live), but you can't have everything.

After "Christmas Eve and Other Stories," they started playing things from their other 3 albums and the pyrotechnics were great. Fireworks shooting everywhere, balls of fire flying up from the stage. You could really feel the heat! They even played a song from the new album they're working on (I don't remember the name of it though....). Can't wait to get it, as the song sounded great.

If you get a chance to go see them, you WON'T be disappointed. They still play in WNY before Xmas -- Syracuse on the 21st, Rochester on the 22nd, Albany on the 23rd -- so do yourself a favor and check them out. It's fun for the whole family (my wife's 82 year old grandmother went last year and had a blast. :lol: ). You won't be disappointed -- I guarantee it. :huh:

http://www.trans-siberian.com/ontour/index.php

CW

Saw TSO play at the Xcel Energy Center last night.  Awesome show!

First, we had great seats -- 10th row from the stage on the side where the local strings were.  Great view, and some of the local people looked pumped to be there.  There was an old guy (who I thought may fall asleep during the show), but even he started moving to the music from time to time. ;)

it started off with a check for $9600 donated to a local charity.  $1/ticket went to the charity, and apparantly this was the largest crowd they've ever played in front of.  I thought it looked like more than 9600 people there, but I guess not.  Still impressive.

A few minutes later they started playing.  Laser lights filled the arena and it was pretty cool.  Excellent storytelling (I love the narrator; I saw him last year as well and think he does a great job), excellent music, the whole thing rocked. :(

The only disappointment was in the song, "An Old City Bar."  I *LOVE* that song, brings a tear to my eye every time.  But the guy that sang it yesterday was terrible.  I wasn't moved at all. :lol:  Very disappointing (since I look forward to hearing that one live), but you can't have everything.

After "Christmas Eve and Other Stories," they started playing things from their other 3 albums and the pyrotechnics were great.  Fireworks shooting everywhere, balls of fire flying up from the stage.  You could really feel the heat!  They even played a song from the new album they're working on (I don't remember the name of it though....).  Can't wait to get it, as the song sounded great.

If you get a chance to go see them, you WON'T be disappointed.  They still play in WNY before Xmas -- Syracuse on the 21st, Rochester on the 22nd, Albany on the 23rd -- so do yourself a favor and check them out.  It's fun for the whole family (my wife's 82 year old grandmother went last year and had a blast. :lol: ).  You won't be disappointed -- I guarantee it. :huh:

http://www.trans-siberian.com/ontour/index.php

CW

148386[/snapback]

Thanks for the link. The music video was really cool. I'd love to take the family to see them, what do you think about a 4 year old at one of these shows?

Thanks for the link.  The music video was really cool.  I'd love to take the family to see them, what do you think about a 4 year old at one of these shows?

148406[/snapback]

There was a mother with her (I'm guessing) 8 and 4 year old yesterday. They seemed like they had a good time, although the 4 year old started getting bored after awhile (as I'd suppose most 4 year olds do with anything...) It's a very kid-friendly show though, and at least in St. Paul, the volume wasn't raised up to obnoxious levels so you should be good.

It's good clean family fun.

CW

There was a mother with her (I'm guessing) 8 and 4 year old yesterday.  They seemed like they had a good time, although the 4 year old started getting bored after awhile (as I'd suppose most 4 year olds do with anything...)  It's a very kid-friendly show though, and at least in St. Paul, the volume wasn't raised up to obnoxious levels so you should be good.

It's good clean family fun.

CW

148452[/snapback]

Yeah thanks for the good recommendation. Oh and btw, how dare you post an OT topic after a win over the fish ;)

This will be our third time seeing them. It's become a family tradition to see them every year. Were excited this year because there playing here in Rochester on December 22 and it's really close to Christmas. I have three kids 14, 12, & 9 and all three loved the show last year, it's definetly worth the money!

To all the people going to see them on the east coast -- you'll have to post and let me know what you think of "Old City Bar," since there's separate east and west groups (and I heard the west group). Hopefully the east doesn't butcher it... :devil:

CW

waht is this? some kinda cult? my meatheaded finfan brother in law even likes them. I've never heard em.

148937[/snapback]

You should check out the show (or at least buy the "Christmas Eve and Other Stories" CD. You'll be hooked. The show is even better than the CD.

The founding members were part of the band, "Savatage," which is known for making *amazing* rock opera albums (Streets: A Rock Opera, Dead Winter Dead, Wake of Magellan, Poets and Madmen). A few of the members branched off and started TSO.

CW

To all the people going to see them on the east coast -- you'll have to post and let me know what you think of "Old City Bar," since there's separate east and west groups (and I heard the west group).  Hopefully the east doesn't butcher it... <_<

CW

148900[/snapback]

Who does "Old City Bar"? TSO West. Steve Broderick has performed it the last several years for TSO east. He does a pretty good job. His voice isn't as mature as the singer on the album. Here is a link to Chris Caffery's message board. Anchor. I'd like to catch a TSO west show next year.

Who does "Old City Bar"? TSO West. Steve Broderick has performed it the last several years for TSO east. He does a pretty good job. His voice isn't as mature as the singer on the album. Here is a link to Chris Caffery's message board. Anchor. I'd like to catch a TSO west show next year.

149160[/snapback]

Graham Tracey - http://tsowest.com/Graham%20Tracey%20Profile.htm

This is his first year, but it was pretty bad. He was acting like he was drunk through the whole song (which I don't recall happening last year), it was really slow, and just not very emotional in my opinion... Quite disappointed. I seem to recall he did well in another song or two that he did though.

CW

Hi Fez...I knew you would like the show..

TSO will have a PBS special some time in Dec too...

149562[/snapback]

Cool! Post (or PM me - or both!) when you hear when it's on; defaintely want to TiVo it.

CW

Graham Tracey - http://tsowest.com/Graham%20Tracey%20Profile.htm

This is his first year, but it was pretty bad.  He was acting like he was drunk through the whole song (which I don't recall happening last year), it was really slow, and just not very emotional in my opinion...  Quite disappointed.  I seem to recall he did well in another song or two that he did though.

CW

149573[/snapback]

I guess he overdid the part. They are supposed to act tipsy from the point of view of the song. Great song though.

You should check out the show (or at least buy the "Christmas Eve and Other Stories" CD.  You'll be hooked.  The show is even better than the CD.

The founding members were part of the band, "Savatage," which is known for making *amazing* rock opera albums (Streets: A Rock Opera, Dead Winter Dead, Wake of Magellan, Poets and Madmen).  A few of the members branched off and started TSO.

CW

148952[/snapback]

I loved Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King. Shoot, even my mother liked their version!

TSO is awesome. No show for me this year, but if you haven't seen them before, it's well worth your time and money to check them out.