***OFFICIAL DEN vs. BUF playoff breakdown***

tornado681

Playoff stuff:

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

We didnt play this year...move on to 2

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

BUF: 3-3

DEN: 3-2

The remaining divisional game for DEN is @ KC. If DEN wins they have the tiebreaker over us, if not, move onto to #3.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

The teams we have both played in common are:MIA, JAX, OAK, CIN

Assuming we (BUF) beats CIN, the record for BUF will be 3-2.

DEN is currently 1-3 against these teams (losses to JAX, CIN and OAK; win against OAK) with 1 game to play.

Thus, if we make it to #3, we own the tiebreaker if we both happen to go 10-6. Better circle that KC game on your calendar!

CONCLUSION: If DEN beats KC two weeks from now, they own the tiebreaker against us; otherwise, if we win out and both DEN and BUF finishes at 10-6 we own tiebreaker against them.

go KC!

RIght now, how I see it, the biggest threat to our playoff chances is BAL. We basically our 2 games behind them because they have the tiebreaker. We are only 1 game behind JAX because we have the same record but they own the tiebreaker. We are hopefully only 1 game behind DEN (see aforementioned analysis).

Lets see BAL finish 9-7 and who cares if DEN finishes 10-6 as long as their loss comes against KC. We only need to gain 1 game on JAX. I think Leftwhichs luck is running out.

-tornado

Playoff stuff:

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

We didnt play this year...move on to 2

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

BUF: 3-3

DEN: 3-2

The remaining divisional game for DEN is @ KC.  If DEN wins they have the tiebreaker over us, if not, move onto to #3.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

The teams we have both played in common are:MIA, JAX, OAK, CIN

Assuming we (BUF) beats CIN, the record for BUF will be 3-2.

DEN is currently 1-3 against these teams (losses to JAX, CIN and OAK; win against OAK) with 1 game to play. 

Thus, if we make it to #3, we own the tiebreaker if we both happen to go 10-6.  Better circle that KC game on your calendar!

CONCLUSION:  If DEN beats KC two weeks from now, they own the tiebreaker against us; otherwise, if we win out and both DEN and BUF finishes at 10-6 we own tiebreaker against them.

go KC!

RIght now, how I see it, the biggest threat to our playoff chances is BAL.  We basically our 2 games behind them because they have the tiebreaker.  We are only 1 game behind JAX because we have the same record but they own the tiebreaker.  We are hopefully only 1 game behind DEN (see aforementioned analysis). 

Lets see BAL finish 9-7 and who cares if DEN finishes 10-6 as long as their loss comes against KC.  We only need to gain 1 game on JAX.  I think Leftwhichs luck is running out.

-tornado

147850[/snapback]

Isn't record in the AFC the first tiebreaker?

If so, and we both finish 10-6, then Denver gets the nod over us based on that.

147863[/snapback]

yup. We're not in the same division as Denver, so division records don't count.

yup. We're not in the same division as Denver, so division records don't count.

147869[/snapback]

Does that mean this isn't the official DEN vs. BUF thread?

;)

Im a moron.  Too late to be thinking.  SOrry 'bout that

147876[/snapback]

Just kidding. We're all a little too giddy right now, considering even if we did make the playoffs we'd be looking at three road games against quality teams in front of us.

Just kidding. We're all a little too giddy right now, considering even if we did make the playoffs we'd be looking at three road games against quality teams in front of us.

147879[/snapback]

Hey, it beats the livin' crap out of sitting around crying about how high the #1 pick we're sending to Dallas will be. That wasn't that long ago......

Hey, it beats the livin' crap out of sitting around crying about how high the #1 pick we're sending to Dallas will be. That wasn't that long ago......

147884[/snapback]

AMEN to that!

147884[/snapback]

Yee, the eternal optimist. Don't think for a moment that the same thought pattern you describe above is not continuing to rot in the bowels of 3 or 4 of TBD guests who believe the QB is fully responsible for all losses while his teammates conversely are the only ones capable of carrying the team to a W.

But it is fun having a shot going into the home stretch, regardless of how much tripe we've been asked to inspect throughout the course of the season. We dodged a bullet today, a lot of it due to poor coverage team work. The season suggests that is not something we should expect to see in long stretches for during the balance of the regular season. I like it. So I'll officially adopt your level of optimism and buy extra wings for next weekend ;-)

K, I'm rational enough to realize the playoffs are still a longshot.... but hey, isn't it fun talking about the possibilities? And even the hint of having something to play for besides draft position sure makes the drive north easier next Sunday morning...

147863[/snapback]

Head-to-head is the first tiebreaker but does not apply to the Bills and Broncos since they didn't face each other this year. Next would be conference record, so you're right.

Assuming the Bills win their remaining four games to get in, their AFC conference record would be 6-6. Denver would have to lose two of their remaining four games (all of which are AFC tilts) to finish 9-7. This scenario renders the conference records meaningless, obviously. Currently, the Broncos are 4-4 vs. the AFC. If they end up 10-6 then they would be 7-5 in the conference by virtue of their 3-1 finish vs. the AFC. This would give them the tiebreaker over the Bills (6-6 in conference).

To sum up, the Broncos need to lose two more for the Bills to beat them out.

147884[/snapback]

Really!

A few jumped on me back in October when I said I was not ready to give up this season yet. I was not happy, and it was hard to be hopeful, but I was not ready to be talking about the April draft in October. It is nice to have something to look forward to THIS Sunday. ;)

With a little luck I will be there for the Steelers.