Peter King - Can't stand him

sharper802

You should definitely stay away from his column in that case....

Hey i have to conserve the few i have left...

I think we pk haters know his columns (e.g. the kraft exerpt) are his opinions, but for someone who supposedly is at the top of his craft, those opinions are often horrifically off-base.

Dr. Z had a lot of opinions as well in his columns before his illnesses, and he was right on the money most of the time, as someone above pointed out.

Oh, and the 50 cent / bills thing: i believe he wore a mcgahee jersey in a video or on stage back in the day.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Informed or not, they are opinions. The best GM's in the league with the best recruiters make mistakes all the time in the draft. Owners who have been doing this for years make mistakes with GM's. Peter King writes articles and doesn't get everything right...GASP!!! Get over it.

I don't read Peter King anymore and haven't for several years because his opinions are the equivalent of throwing darts at a board. I am over it.

Yeah, I can tell. All of your posts on the subject scream indifference.

I'm not indifferent, I think he's an overrated fat tub of goo. If that bothers you, I apologize. But as I said, his columns provide no value to me, so I don't read them.

You know what they say: patriotism is the last refuge of fools and scoundrels. The same could be said for knee jerk critics of the media (and there are many in this thread).

Um no one is criticizing the media dave, just one member of it. But feel free to generalize our opinions all you want it really helps your case.

Um no one is criticizing the media dave, just one member of it. But feel free to generalize our opinions all you want it really helps your case.

Flat out -- King is pretty good. Everyone judges him on his very informal MMQB columns here, but I get the sense that no one actually reads the mag. I'm staring at the latest copy, and his article on the blitz in today's NFL is excellent -- good sources, interesting observations, etc. Do you read the actual magazine? For obvious reasons, the website doesn't feature much of what's in it.

As far as generalizing, please. How many vitriolic attacks directed toward Tim Graham, Allan Wilson, John Wawrow, Chris Mortonson, Jerry Sullivan, and John Clayton does one have to read to realize that posters with no media access resent reporters and columnists?

Edited by dave mcbride

Flat out -- King is pretty good. Everyone judges him on his very informal MMQB columns here, but I get the sense that no one actually reads the mag. I'm staring at the latest copy, and his article on the blitz in today's NFL is excellent -- good sources, interesting observations, etc. Do you read the actual magazine? For obvious reasons, the website doesn't feature much of what's in it.

As far as generalizing, please. How many vitriolic attacks directed toward Tim Graham, Allan Wilson, John Wawrow, Chris Mortonson, Jerry Sullivan, and John Clayton does one have to read to realize that posters with no media access resent reporters and columnists?

To each his own. Some people like Peter King, others don't. The people who like him read his columns. The people who don't, don't. There's a lot of "product" out there and King doesn't have a monopoly on information.

Honestly no i havent read king's story in print SI. But i will pick it up and read it and give it a fair shake, and if im wrong based on that i will admit it readily. You admitted as much by saying the online columns aren't as in depth or knowledgable as some of us would like or expect.

I don't resent the media; i rely on them for info on things i can't see for myself. i can only speak for me but the only one on your list i can recall criticizing in the past was Sullivan. Trust me, i am far from alone in that regard.

I respect JW, graham, allen wilson and the rest all the same.

FWIW - I don't think that the Jets, Dolphins, and Patriots are as stacked as the national media thinks that they are - which could equal a few extra wins for the Bills.

I think we can take at least one game apiece from that trio if our OL can keep Trent upright. None of them are unbeatable

Honestly no i havent read king's story in print SI. But i will pick it up and read it and give it a fair shake, and if im wrong based on that i will admit it readily. You admitted as much by saying the online columns aren't as in depth or knowledgable as some of us would like or expect.

I don't resent the media; i rely on them for info on things i can't see for myself. i can only speak for me but the only one on your list i can recall criticizing in the past was Sullivan. Trust me, i am far from alone in that regard.

I respect JW, graham, allen wilson and the rest all the same.

Fair enough. i didn't mean to direct my criticism at you, and I apologize. And I've criticized Sullivan myself too!

Edited by dave mcbride

I think we can take at least one game apiece from that trio if our OL can keep Trent upright. None of them are unbeatable

I am still VERY concerned about Bell and Green. If we had anything resembling a good tackle on the roster I would be very optimistic this season.

I am still VERY concerned about Bell and Green. If we had anything resembling a good tackle on the roster I would be very optimistic this season.

IM concerned about both bookends like many here. Green especially. If you are at the game watch his footwork. Most of the time it seems like his feet are stuck to the ground. Trouble in space. Bell's footwork is better and he does have a big wingspan but a lack of quickness many times will cause him to get burned and hopefully not cause wharever QB is in there to get killed. Another thing about Bell, too often he bites on the outside fake by the DE and cannot recover. This could have been injury related, just experience or the needed quickness is just not there. Either way we will soon find out and I hope that both can prove us all wrong. A good deal of how well our offense is depends on these two so I'll be pulling for them to improve.

If you want to know the extent of Peter King's football knowledge, read this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2000/01/26/ten_things/

"If I'm New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, I have to say no to Bill Belichick now, hire Tom Donahoe to run the football side of business, and get on with my life. Because if I'm Bob Kraft, this is the thought process going through my mind today as the Jets stonewall my compensation offer for Belichick and refuse to budge from their demand of New England's first-round draft choice in April's draft: I am willing to give a man with a coaching record of 37-45 full authority over all my football operations by naming him coach and general manager. I am willing to pay him in excess of $3 million a year. And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I'm already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I'm sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don't, I get on with my life."

:lol: So great! Peter King is a fatuous windbag with no meaningful insight. The "Kissing Suzy Kolber" blog features a hilarious line-by-line mocking of his weekly column that's a fun read.