Sully is at it again but I find it hard to argue this time.

Yeah, they used their real names to promote their shows. OK Bills44, you can't really handle me criticizing you let alone post your real name on here. So again, can you please give a good reason why anyone should have to do it? He doesn't need the publicity, obviously. So until 90% of us do it, why should he have to do it?

And he might respond in a civil manner, and he might not. Isn't that how talk radio works. As a matter of fact, the majority of time when I travel from VA to Buffalo for Bills games, I listen to as much of WGR as I can, on gamedays, because I just don't hear Bills talk in VA. Obviously. And when I do listen to it, the majority of callers seem to agree with the majority of what he has to say. Pretty much because the Bills make it easy for him to target them.

So, how about rooting for the Bills to get their schitt together, so he'll shut up, rather than critiquing the man for giving his opinion, which is his job? If anything, the only people you can prove that have no talent are the Bills and their front office. Show me the records, and that is proof enough. The fact that Sully is getting paid to induce discussion and the fact that the Buffalo radio stations ask him to be on air with them shows he is successful in his job.

Again, there is no reason for a guy like Sullivan to post his real name. Wanna rip him face to face, call in, write in, or show up gamedays at the corner of Abbott and Southwestern (Is the show still located there?). Let him know how you feel. Otherwise, don't call the man out, when you don't have to guts to do what you want him to do.

Oh, I didn't know why Riter and Mendola used their real names. Those shameless self-promoters!

No offense, but I think you're taking yourself way too seriously...I really don't care if you agree with me, or if you criticize me. I'm not saying that anyone has to use their real name. I happen to think that I'd be interesting if he followed the lead of other local media members and sacked up. Doubt it'll happen, though. what does the "90%" figure have to do with anything?

Hey, if you think that Sullivan would react in a mature manner to criticism directed at him, then good for you.

Do you really think that if the Bills improved Sullivan wouldn't find something else to whine about? Jeff Quinn or Witherspoon at UB, Regier with the Sabres, Parrotta at Canisius - he'd find something to complain about.

Thanks, but I'll call him out whenever I damn please. He can PM me if he wants to. But he won't.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they used their real names to promote their shows. OK Bills44, you can't really handle me criticizing you let alone post your real name on here. So again, can you please give a good reason why anyone should have to do it? He doesn't need the publicity, obviously. So until 90% of us do it, why should he have to do it?

And he might respond in a civil manner, and he might not. Isn't that how talk radio works. As a matter of fact, the majority of time when I travel from VA to Buffalo for Bills games, I listen to as much of WGR as I can, on gamedays, because I just don't hear Bills talk in VA. Obviously. And when I do listen to it, the majority of callers seem to agree with the majority of what he has to say. Pretty much because the Bills make it easy for him to target them.

So, how about rooting for the Bills to get their schitt together, so he'll shut up, rather than critiquing the man for giving his opinion, which is his job? If anything, the only people you can prove that have no talent are the Bills and their front office. Show me the records, and that is proof enough. The fact that Sully is getting paid to induce discussion and the fact that the Buffalo radio stations ask him to be on air with them shows he is successful in his job.

Again, there is no reason for a guy like Sullivan to post his real name. Wanna rip him face to face, call in, write in, or show up gamedays at the corner of Abbott and Southwestern (Is the show still located there?). Let him know how you feel. Otherwise, don't call the man out, when you don't have to guts to do what you want him to do.

You're really citing a blogger? Really? A blogger? And let me get this straight, because the link won't work for me, for some reason. If I'm reading this correctly....I'm gathering a blogger is calling some journalist out for being a one trick pony.

So, in other words, a venting blogger, is calling out a venting columnist. Boy, sounds like a good blog to me. Must be a reason I've never heard of Jason McIntyre.

And if by chance the blogger is talking about Sullivan, he's a columnist that is a one trick pony venting about a franchise that pretty much has been a one trick loser for 10 straight years, correct? Maybe Jerry should take that as a compliment. After all, sounds like he's dead on with what the Bills have given him to talk about. Unless of course, all he did was rip the Bills in the heyday, which I doubt. He wasn't even in Buffalo then, was he?

not your fault because there was a problem with the link, but don't knock something until you've read it. Sandomir is in my opinion a very good columnist - better than anyone for the News.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/27/sports/27sandomir.html?ref=sports

Edited by dave mcbride

And if by chance the blogger is talking about Sullivan, he's a columnist that is a one trick pony venting about a franchise that pretty much has been a one trick loser for 10 straight years, correct? Maybe Jerry should take that as a compliment. After all, sounds like he's dead on with what the Bills have given him to talk about. Unless of course, all he did was rip the Bills in the heyday, which I doubt. He wasn't even in Buffalo then, was he?

Yeah, there's New York Times article about Jerry !@#$ing Sullivan. :lol:

Settle down - it's about Jay Marriotti, so you can save your indignation for your next post.

And why isn't he good at what he does? Because you said so? Sounds kind of like an opinion to me. You know, the same opinion that Jerry Sullivan is paid to give.

If Jerry wasn't any good, he wouldn't have lasted this long. I'm sure there are many younger, cheaper, no good columnists that could have taken his place. But, the Buffalo News keeps paying him to write week after week, year after year. He must have some kind of talent.

Damn, I can't believe I'm defending him this much. LOL.

Right, it's my opinion that he's not any good. I never said he wasn't allowed to have opinions, and I also never said that wasn't his job. I said that he was bad at giving them. That he is boring, and that his prose sucks, and that he writes from a sour place, which isn't good for the quality of his writing. It would help for you to understand my position if you reviewed the posts I've made in this thread once more to know where I am on the subject.

I don't think its the case that if he wasn't any good, he wouldn't last this long. There are writers that go decades on purely fabricated or plagiarized stuff before being given the boot. Longevity isn't a sign of competence (John Guy? Modrak? Darcy Regier?) in any profession.

I can't believe you're defending him this much, either.

Edited by wardigital

not your fault because there was a problem with the link, but don't knock something until you've read it. Sandomir is in my opinion a very good columnist - better than anyone for the News.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/27/sports/27sandomir.html?ref=sports

I actually love TV columns. So, to me, that was a pretty good read. Although, I must say, I have no idea who most of those people are that are ripping on Mariotti. And even the columnist calls Mariotti a "star", but proceeds to find a bunch of people to rip him in this column, at his lowest point. Someone else could also write an opinion piece on Mariotti that could find just as many other "journalists", that like Mariotti. So, this, like a Jerry Sullivan article, should be taken for what it is. OPINION. Plain and simple. There was nothing in here that shocks me or enlightens me, but I enjoyed the read nonetheless. I can't disagree with anything, but I do think it's one sided. Big deal. Didn't ruin it for me. In fact, to me, sounds like this TV columist couldn't wait to dog Mariotti because he also dislikes him. To him I say, better be careful not to make any of his own mistakes, although, no one really even knows this columnist. Also, I love Jason Whitlock, and he went to my Alma Mater. However, Jason Whitlock has ruffled more feathers with his radio shows, tv appearances and columns than anyone. So, getting his opinion for this column was great, but if you know anything about Whitlock, it carries about as much weight as well..........nothing.

Good read, very one sided. That's what this guy is paid to do. And ironically, sounds a lot like Sullivan in his bitterness to me.

And it should be noted that there are sports writers in comparatively small markets who absolutely bring it on a daily basis. Joe Posnanski tears it up in Kansas City, in a city with the Chiefs and friggin' Royals.

If Sullivan was ten percent as talented as Posnanski, he wouldn't have to draw reactions by throwing hand grenades out for columns every week.

And it should be noted that there are sports writers in comparatively small markets who absolutely bring it on a daily basis. Joe Posnanski tears it up in Kansas City, in a city with the Chiefs and friggin' Royals.

If Sullivan was ten percent as talented as Posnanski, he wouldn't have to draw reactions by throwing hand grenades out for columns every week.

I've heard Posnanski's name, but I'm not familiar with his work. I'll have to check him out sometime.

Yeah, there's New York Times article about Jerry !@#$ing Sullivan. :lol:

Settle down - it's about Jay Marriotti, so you can save your indignation for your next post.

Yeah, and? So now, we are putting weight on opinion pieces from the financially troubled, one sided garbage that is the NY Times? My opinion there, but nonetheless, it's an opinion of the garbage that this newspaper produces.

The NY Times has been called out for some of the most lopsided political NEWS REPORTING, that it has turned me off to the point where I don't read it at all anymore. I don't even get to the opinion parts of the paper anymore.

However, I like TV columns, and was entertained by it. But boy, the columnist seems a bit negative to me. Sour. Piling on a man, in Mariotti, that is down. Seems a bit like.......oh.......Jerry Sullivan.

It's just amazing that you can't take off the Bills rose colored glasses to see that.

Yeah, and? So now, we are putting weight on opinion pieces from the financially troubled, one sided garbage that is the NY Times? My opinion there, but nonetheless, it's an opinion of the garbage that this newspaper produces.

The NY Times has been called out for some of the most lopsided political NEWS REPORTING, that it has turned me off to the point where I don't read it at all anymore. I don't even get to the opinion parts of the paper anymore.

However, I like TV columns, and was entertained by it. But boy, the columnist seems a bit negative to me. Sour. Piling on a man, in Mariotti, that is down. Seems a bit like.......oh.......Jerry Sullivan.

It's just amazing that you can't take off the Bills rose colored glasses to see that.

what are you talking about? All I said about the article was that one line stuck out like a sore thumb. No idea why you're getting so defensive.

If I lie and tell you that I think that Sullivan is an interesting, innovative and professional journalist, can we end this conversation?

I can forgive Howard Simon, Allen Wilson, and other credible personalities for their exasperation and showing some of the stress cracks of reporting on this team for the last 10 years. Sullivan using this as an excuse doesn't explain the fact that his schtick was the same prior to the last decade (I haven't lived in Buffalo in a while, and I despised his "work" well before I left). Sully is misery, and he loves company. Whether his column is fact based or pure opinion, it's never what he says, it's how he says it. He doesn't just tell you the **** smells, he wants to rub it on your face and put it in your mouth to try to prove the obvious. And when you tell him it's revolting, he tells you it's your fault. He dismisses people with valid points, usually by resorting to petulant name calling or other adolescent tactics, and the whole time he give the impression that he's his own biggest fan and he's certain he's the smartest guy in the room. I can't say I blame OBD for not granting him access... he come's off as the guy you'd invite into the house only to have him steal your silverware and brag about it to his buddies. Referring to him as average is being kind.

And if the Bills were to make better decisions more than 10% of the time, I would have to think he wouldn't have to throw hand grenades every week. After all, Sully loved Tom Donahoe's hiring in the beginning, only to have soured on him a few years later, like the rest of us. I remember a glowing piece about that. Then, I remember, "the rip" a few years later.

I would be that if the Bills were to sign Charlie Weiss to run their offense that Sully would have probably praised that hiring. Instead, we have some puppet, with no coaching experience as this level, and at the OC level. LMAO. Damn that Jerry Sullivan for highlighting things like that from a losing organization. The nerve.

And if this Poznanski guy, or whoever you say it is that "brings it" has more positive things to write about the Royals than negative, I hardly doubt he......brings it. The Royals are inept. Period. For a long period of time. If Pos turns a blind eye to that in most of his opinion (if that's what you are getting at) well, then, he sounds like Chris Brown to me. And that's not a good thing.

Edited by Lv-Bills

I can forgive Howard Simon, Allen Wilson, and other credible personalities for their exasperation and showing some of the stress cracks of reporting on this team for the last 10 years. Sullivan using this as an excuse doesn't explain the fact that his schtick was the same prior to the last decade (I haven't lived in Buffalo in a while, and I despised his "work" well before I left). Sully is misery, and he loves company. Whether his column is fact based or pure opinion, it's never what he says, it's how he says it. He doesn't just tell you the **** smells, he wants to rub it on your face and put it in your mouth to try to prove the obvious. And when you tell him it's revolting, he tells you it's your fault. He dismisses people with valid points, usually by resorting to petulant name calling or other adolescent tactics, and the whole time he give the impression that he's his own biggest fan and he's certain he's the smartest guy in the room. I can't say I blame OBD for not granting him access... he come's off as the guy you'd invite into the house only to have him steal your silverware and brag about it to his buddies. Referring to him as average is being kind.

well said. very well said.

Was he in New England before coming to Buffalo? I thought I heard something about him covering Boston or something, before Buffalo. Is that true? And if so, when did he arrive in Buffalo? Anyone know?

So, in other words, you don't like his delivery. He may be right, you just don't like his delivery? That's understandable, but in that case he's right, that is your problem. You don't have to read it. And those of you who say you don't read it, are full of ****. Because you still do.

And the only reason he rubs your face in it, is because there are homers that are so offended by his opinion of this garbage team, that they come at him just as hard as he goes after the Bills. The only problem there is that, Sullivan has too much ammo with the Bills being as inept as they are. So, right now, you can't win against him.

As far as him resorting to petulant name calling, or adolescent tactics, I'm guessing that's on WGR. The same WGR that seemingly everyone here hates, yet everyone listens to. I personally don't think JS resorts to anything worse than any other radio talk show host does on that network. As a matter of fact, the idiot on WGR that doesn't like football, is by far the biggest idiot on that network. However, Sullivan usually takes on homers that are easy pickings for him. Because 90% of Bills nation agrees with what Sullivan says, and he has all kinds of ammo and examples of Bills ineptness to ward off anyone who challenges his opinions.

However, if you want to challenge his delivery, that seems fair, but quite frankly, is boring, and no one cares that some people don't like his tone.

If the Bills show any kind of light at the end of the tunnel, I would bet my ass JS praises it. But give me one example of light that has happened in the last few years. There really aren't any.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Was he in New England before coming to Buffalo? I thought I heard something about him covering Boston or something, before Buffalo. Is that true? And if so, when did he arrive in Buffalo? Anyone know?

I dunno, Jerry. Says here you got to town in 1989. http://corp.buffalonews.com/services/newsroom/sports.asp Is it odd referring to yourself in the third person? :devil:

Edited by transient

So, in other words, you don't like his delivery. He may be right, you just don't like his delivery? That's understandable, but in that case he's right, that is your problem. You don't have to read it. And those of you who say you don't read it, are full of ****. Because you still do.

The Bills have been a bad team. It's obvious to anyone who's watched them. It's not hard to be right when that's all you say. If you go out of your way to say it in the most abrasive way possible without adding anything of substance to it, all you are is abrasive and annoying. Despite your assertion of his wide following, he appeals to a very limited number of people. For the record, as soon as I realize I'm reading one of his columns (I tend to click a link and start to read without looking at the byline), I stop. He has never been worth the time, and you can spot his shotty work before you finish the first paragraph. I can tell by the first few sentences, and by the majority of the posts, that nothing has changed.

And the only reason he rubs your face in it, is because there are homers that are so offended by his opinion of this garbage team, that they come at him just as hard as he goes after the Bills. The only problem there is that, Sullivan has too much ammo with the Bills being as inept as they are. So, right now, you can't win against him.

The only reason he rubs your face in it is because that's who he is. He likes to hear himself talk or see his useless opinion in print, and he amuses himself with his utter lack of tact or respect. In his world the loudest voice is obviously right.

As far as him resorting to petulant name calling, or adolescent tactics, I'm guessing that's on WGR. The same WGR that seemingly everyone here hates, yet everyone listens to. I personally don't think JS resorts to anything worse than any other radio talk show host does on that network. As a matter of fact, the idiot on WGR that doesn't like football, is by far the biggest idiot on that network. However, Sullivan usually takes on homers that are easy pickings for him. Because 90% of Bills nation agrees with what Sullivan says, and he has all kinds of ammo and examples of Bills ineptness to ward off anyone who challenges his opinions.

I hardly think 90% of Bills fans have ever made their voices heard. The ones you hear on the radio are the vocal few, because most don't call radio shows. One might refer to it as a "population bias."

However, if you want to challenge his delivery, that seems fair, but quite frankly, is boring, and no one cares that some people don't like his tone.

Looking through this thread, while some may defend his right to be an ass, and some may argue over whether he is a journalist or columnist and whether he is obligated to supply fact or opinion, the majority appears to agree he is a hack at best. I would guess this is close to reality outside of this thread as well.

If the Bills show any kind of light at the end of the tunnel, I would bet my ass JS praises it. But give me one example of light that has happened in the last few years. There really aren't any.

He may begrudgingly acknowledge success, but I guarantee there would be negativity bracketing any words of recognition in some form or another.

I don't know how to do the multiple quote thing. My responses are the bold ones. ;)

Edited by transient

And if the Bills were to make better decisions more than 10% of the time, I would have to think he wouldn't have to throw hand grenades every week. After all, Sully loved Tom Donahoe's hiring in the beginning, only to have soured on him a few years later, like the rest of us. I remember a glowing piece about that. Then, I remember, "the rip" a few years later.

I would be that if the Bills were to sign Charlie Weiss to run their offense that Sully would have probably praised that hiring. Instead, we have some puppet, with no coaching experience as this level, and at the OC level. LMAO. Damn that Jerry Sullivan for highlighting things like that from a losing organization. The nerve.

And if this Poznanski guy, or whoever you say it is that "brings it" has more positive things to write about the Royals than negative, I hardly doubt he......brings it. The Royals are inept. Period. For a long period of time. If Pos turns a blind eye to that in most of his opinion (if that's what you are getting at) well, then, he sounds like Chris Brown to me. And that's not a good thing.

It's not that he turns a blind eye to the Royals ineptitude, it is that he is a better writer than Sullivan. As the previous poster suggests, Sullivan was a curmudgeon far before the Bills had a sour decade. That's not his fault. There are lots of media who make their money off of being sour and controversial. But it makes them lazy and bad at their job, usually.

There really is little in the way of productive conversation coming from this at the moment. I sort of just get the sense that you're trying to be exasperating for its own sake. I don't really know if you even have a point at this juncture. If you don't know who Joe Posnanski is, that's all I need to know. He's a fairly common name in sports writing. I'm just here to discuss things, I don't care whether or not I'm right or if I learn something. I'd rather learn something.

Reading back, I don't even understand if you had a point about the NY Times piece, other than to be combative and contrarian. I think you're getting your rocks off establishing themes on an internet message board, which is a shame. It seems like if you invested as much energy into other things, you could be a really productive individual.

Posanski is one of the best writers working today. And a star for SI. It's just not fair to compare Sullivan to him. That's like comparing the guy who writes dime store romance novels just to make rent to Kurt Vonnegut. Talk about high expectations.

There really is little in the way of productive conversation coming from this at the moment. I sort of just get the sense that you're trying to be exasperating for its own sake. I don't really know if you even have a point at this juncture. If you don't know who Joe Posnanski is, that's all I need to know. He's a fairly common name in sports writing. I'm just here to discuss things, I don't care whether or not I'm right or if I learn something. I'd rather learn something.

Reading back, I don't even understand if you had a point about the NY Times piece, other than to be combative and contrarian. I think you're getting your rocks off establishing themes on an internet message board, which is a shame. It seems like if you invested as much energy into other things, you could be a really productive individual.

I finally understand what you're trying to do. It didn't make sense until this last post. But it's clear now. You're trying to pull a crayonz, but you sir are no crayonz. You keep bashing Sullivan for being a boring writer with stilted prose but man, your prose could cause an outbreak of narcolepsy in the middle of a Kieth Richards coke binge.

If you're going to go for laughs here, you gotta step your game up. This helps: :beer:

I actually love TV columns. So, to me, that was a pretty good read. Although, I must say, I have no idea who most of those people are that are ripping on Mariotti. And even the columnist calls Mariotti a "star", but proceeds to find a bunch of people to rip him in this column, at his lowest point. Someone else could also write an opinion piece on Mariotti that could find just as many other "journalists", that like Mariotti. So, this, like a Jerry Sullivan article, should be taken for what it is. OPINION. Plain and simple. There was nothing in here that shocks me or enlightens me, but I enjoyed the read nonetheless. I can't disagree with anything, but I do think it's one sided. Big deal. Didn't ruin it for me. In fact, to me, sounds like this TV columist couldn't wait to dog Mariotti because he also dislikes him. To him I say, better be careful not to make any of his own mistakes, although, no one really even knows this columnist. Also, I love Jason Whitlock, and he went to my Alma Mater. However, Jason Whitlock has ruffled more feathers with his radio shows, tv appearances and columns than anyone. So, getting his opinion for this column was great, but if you know anything about Whitlock, it carries about as much weight as well..........nothing.

Good read, very one sided. That's what this guy is paid to do. And ironically, sounds a lot like Sullivan in his bitterness to me.

Roger Ebert, who worked with Mariotti, is probably the most famous newspaper reviewer of movies in America. And he's a damn great reviewer.

I think the basic issue with Sullivan is that he doesn't seem to like the NFL very much, and as a consequence he isn't willing to do the legwork -- interviews, behind the scences stuff, etc. -- that good columnists (not reporters, mind you) do. Here, I'm thinking of the Cowboys' writers, Will McDonogh of old, Mark Cannizaro, Don Banks back in the day when he was with the Minnesota paper, and yes, Joe Posnanski. Hence he never really offers any new info. The one person who he does have a bit of access to (or had, to be more accurate) is Wilson, who used to occasionally speak with Sully. He doesn't seem to have that access anymore, and he has alluded to it.

Do I think that Sully has the capability to be a better columnist? Sure; he seems like a fairly intelligent person to me. However, it's very clear to me at least that he *far* prefers baseball and basketball (especially college ball - Providence College in particular) to football. He writes with real passion about these sports, while football feels like it's an assignment with him. He doesn't know that much about the sport after all of these years, and his opinions are both obvious and received wisdom. He's said on more than one occasion on GR that it's not the team that he cares about, but the long suffering fans. Basically, I think that if Buffalo had ever gotten a baseball team, he'd be a happier person. And I think his talents would be on display. He seems to know more about those sports. Just as importantly, it seems as if he *wants* to know more about those sports.

By the way, his negativity in general is very apparent in his q & a's with fans. Being the Bills columnist appears to have taken an emotional toll on him.

Edited by dave mcbride