Moats article

MrNix

nice article on A. Moats in the D&C. He got a lot of criticism from various posters based on his first game performance in a new position. He definitely looked lost out there, but it's to be expected. However, the dude is a player, and he's intelligent. As he gains experience, he is going to be difficult to keep off the field. The 2010 draft class of Troup, Carrington and Moats (I'm less certain about Batten) will be the bedrock of the Bills' defense for years to come.

I'll be one to state the obvious that he looked horrible against Washington. Terribly out of position on just about every play.

But watching him against Indy he looked a bit better. Not as frantic. More controlled.

I'd like to see if he keeps improving. Another factor (which I forgot about), is that he is a converted DE from a 1-AA school. It will take some time. But hopefully he will turn into a keeper for years to come.

Anyone know why he is converting to inside linebacker as a former DE? Aside from his measurables, he seems better suited to be a weakside rushing LB.

A question that has been asked here before but not answered.

As far as his measurables, it's almost becoming vogue to have shorter pass rushers (Elvis Dumervil, James Harrison) who have the advantage of a lower center of gravity and therefore a better ability to "bend the edge" edit: and get a lower pad level to bull rush bigger blockers.

Two things come to mind:

With Batten injured, it's possible that Moats eventually will get some reps on the outside. I think that once they went with their April decision to play him on the inside that they didn't want to overwhelm Moats by throwing more at him. As Red mentioned, he was a D-1AA defensive end. Tough adjustment.

Also, in reviewing the game on DVR the other night, I saw at least one instance where Moats put his hand on the ground and rushed the passer…from the edge of the line.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Anyone know why he is converting to inside linebacker as a former DE? Aside from his measurables, he seems better suited to be a weakside rushing LB.

That's always been my biggest question about him. Hey JW, anyway to find out an answer to this? Why would a rush end be converted to INSIDE linebacker. Makes no sense. I would hope that some of our outstanding journalists in the media would have gotten an answer to this by now

"To just, I hate to say it, but to just keep your mouth shut and learn from other people and earn your role, because we've all been through it (training camp)," Kelsay said.

"It's tough enough for a rookie, but it can be especially tough if you come in and you don't earn the respect of your peers. The best way to do that is to be seen and not heard and just work hard, spend as much time as you can in the playbook, learn the defense. The quickest thing that's going to be guys to turn on you is if you don't know your assignments and you can't hold yourself accountable to your teammates."

It seems like if he's following this advice, he'll have some vets supporting him and helping him along. On the other hand, and I'm a huge Maybin supporter, I can't help but think that perhaps this was a veiled shot and him. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seems like he's making a comparison of sorts.

A question that has been asked here before but not answered.

As far as his measurables, it's almost becoming vogue to have shorter pass rushers (Elvis Dumervil, James Harrison, edit: Brandon Graham who I wanted the Bills to draft…but I'm still good with CJ Spiller, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis) who have the advantage of a lower center of gravity and therefore a better ability to "bend the edge" edit: and get a lower pad level to bull rush bigger blockers.

Two things come to mind:

With Batten injured, it's possible that Moats eventually will get some reps on the outside. I think that once they went with their April decision to play him on the inside that they didn't want to overwhelm Moats by throwing more at him. As Red mentioned, he was a D-1AA defensive end. Tough adjustment.

Also, in reviewing the game on DVR the other night, I saw at least one instance where Moats put his hand on the ground and rushed the passer…from the edge of the line.

Brandon Graham news

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

nice article on A. Moats in the D&C. He got a lot of criticism from various posters based on his first game performance in a new position. He definitely looked lost out there, but it's to be expected. However, the dude is a player, and he's intelligent. As he gains experience, he is going to be difficult to keep off the field. The 2010 draft class of Troup, Carrington and Moats (I'm less certain about Batten) will be the bedrock of the Bills' defense for years to come.

My problem with Moats is not that the Bills drafted this kid. I cannot for the life of me understand why they did not just let him play OUTSIDE LB??? What, we have too much "depth" at that position or something? Here's the most productive defensive player in Division 2, from a 4-3 type of defense, ripping up the competition as a DE. Hard enough for him to make the transition to NFL football from that level, the coaches decide to make him an INSIDE LB, and make him re-learn EVERY key, every pass coverage, and how to shed blocks from centers and guards all day long when he never even did that in Division 2. :doh: