Jake Locker's talent is questionable for the NFL

Got_Wood

I'm just curious what makes Locker any better than Tim Tebow or Dan Lefevour? He's basically a right handed poor man's version of Tebow as far as I can see.

Take a look at these facts:

- Spread offense QB

- Relies on his legs rather than remaining in the pocket often

- 2,800 yards passing, 21 TDs, 11 Ints, and 388 yards rushing, 7 TDs

- 58% passer

- 5-7 record

Compare that to Tebow's junior year stats of 64% passing, 2,800 yards, 30 TDs, 4 Ints, 673 yards rushing, 12 TDs. And an 11-1 record to top that off.

So what gives? Why does everyone love Locker and despise Tebow? And why would he be better in the NFL than Ryan Mallett, who has all of the tools to run a pro style offense as a pocket passer?

Most pundits are excited to see his growth under Steve Sarkisian, (spelling) who was the offensive coordinator at USC prior to the University of Washington gig. I like his game because he is a gunslinger who can run, and he's got a lot of linebacker (fearlessness) to his outlook. I think he will be an outstanding leader at the next level. His arm strength is fine, and he'd fit the non California QB scenario that has plagued this franchise somehow. It would be fun to watch Chan Gailey build around his particular skill set.

If I am not mistaken, ESPN's Todd McShay - their resident number cruncher - did an analysis of college QB's that went to the NFL and the single-most determining factor that is telling of a QB's success from the college to the pro ranks is their % completion.

Those over 60% are far more successful than those under. The higher they are over 60% the better. Locker's #'s should give pause, but his 2010 season will be the greatest factor.

I'm just curious what makes Locker any better than Tim Tebow or Dan Lefevour? He's basically a right handed poor man's version of Tebow as far as I can see.

- Spread offense QB

- 58% passer

- 5-7 record

Compare that to Tebow's junior year stats of 64% passing, 2,800 yards, 30 TDs, 4 Ints, 673 yards rushing, 12 TDs. And an 11-1 record to top that off.

So what gives? Why does everyone love Locker and despise Tebow? And why would he be better in the NFL than Ryan Mallett, who has all of the tools to run a pro style offense as a pocket passer?

I've posted this article a few times on the threads that pop up regarding Locker, he didn't enter the draft this past year for a reason. He was given a 2nd round grade by NFL's advisory committee. Now it's obviously possible he can improve and be a top QB, but as it stood going into the 2010 draft scouts did not view him as such.

"Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...sory-committee/

- Spread offense QB

- 58% passer

- 5-7 record

Someone has to be able to do the job... WTF?

Good analysis OP. Repeating the "Jake Locker as #1 pick" mantra isn't solely the domain of Bills' fans, although some folks' unbridled optimism at the thought of having the #1 pick to get him is unique, I think. This is Locker's big year to shine, and while I do think he has some talent, he's a product of the media hype machine. As is, I don't think Locker has the accuracy or decision-making ability to succeed in the NFL.

For starters, Locker has a better throwing motion than Tebow and Lefevour, he has far better pocket presence than either, and compared to Tebow he has gotten the stats he has working behind a shakier line and with far worse skilled position players around him. Add to that guide teammates seem to love him (lefevour is supposedly a real jerk) and the picture becomes a little clearer.

- Spread offense QB

- 58% passer

- 5-7 record

I would suggest lets see what he can do this year as he isnt the #1 pick yet...just a contender for the #1 pick. But his mechanics are significantly better than Tebows and he has severly less talent around him too for starters.

I would suggest lets see what he can do this year as he isnt the #1 pick yet...just a contender for the #1 pick. But his mechanics are significantly better than Tebows and he has severly less talent around him too for starters.

That would explain a lot. I've said before, I like Locker but one thing that concerns me is that mostly I've seen rushing hi-lites of him running his way out of trouble, rather than solid passing play. I'll have to make a point to watch him more closely this season, I guess. (The 'spread' thing doesn't really bother me at all - almost all NFL teams use some variation of the 'spread offense', some less sparingly than others, and I expect we'll see much more of it in the years ahead.)