Gailey already blaming O-Line

This is truly enlightening.

I count 7 scouts listed instead of the 6 that were referenced in an earlier article

Fact remains that the front office has failed miserably over the last decade in finding talent, especially playmakers.

Most of this blame should sit with Modrak, who works part-time from Florida, directing the college scouting effort.

However, he gets a free pass, as do all of the decision makers over the last decade at OBD. 

That's fine, UNLESS you are the guy/gal who disparaged the team for having ONLY 6 scouts. One might think, when presented with evidence that the number of scouts the Bills have is basically on par with what other teams have, would start by saying something like "My Bad", "I assumed it was lower than that.", "Sorry I was wrong", something, hell ANYTHING to show some freaking humility.

But I guess that is too much for you to handle.

Want to make the argument the Bills scouts suck? Fine. Make the argument. But you implied (and I think on multiple occasions) the Bills were cheaping out by only having a limited number of scouts. At least be man enough to admit you were WRONG.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fine, UNLESS you are the guy/gal who disparaged the team for having ONLY 6 scouts. One might think, when presented with evidence that the number of scouts the Bills have is basically on par with what other teams have, would start by saying something like "My Bad", "I assumed it was lower than that.", "Sorry I was wrong", something, hell ANYTHING to show some freaking humility.

But I guess that is too much for you to handle.

Want to make the argument the Bills scouts suck? Fine. Make the argument. But you implied (and I think on multiple occasions) the Bills were cheaping out by only having a limited number of scouts. At least be man enough to admit you were WRONG.

Put him/her on ignore like I did months ago. You'll be better for it.

What's wrong with "pure luck?" It's how several teams won SB's. Like the Rams and Patriots, who lost their starting QB during the season. Or the Saints, who took a chance on a QB everyone else thought was damaged good.

I do not consider those examples of pure luck--although I agree there was an element of luck there.

Take the Patriots, for example. In the 2000 draft, they had two fifth round picks, and two sixth round picks. (As well as a number of other picks.) The first of their two fifth round picks was used Dave Stachelski, a player who lasted for two years (both on the Saints) before retiring. The second fifth rounder was used on Jeff Marriott, a player who never played a down in the NFL. The first sixth rounder was used on Antwan Harris, a CB who had two starts over his whole career. He put away his Cleveland jersey and retired after the 2005 season. The second sixth rounder was used on Tom Brady.

Late round picks are a lot like lottery tickets: the odds of any one late round pick turning into something special are very low. But a team with a good front office will have a higher percentage of hits among its late round picks than will a team with a Matt Millen as a GM. If (to use hypothetical numbers) a Matt Millen type hits on 2% of his late round picks, and a Bill Polian hits on 10% of his late round picks, then over the course of several years you'll see an appreciable talent difference between the two GMs' respective teams. You could point to any late round Polian success story and say, "he got lucky there. He only had a 10% chance of hitting, and he hit." But the reason Polian had that 10% chance was because of his talent, hard work, and the quality of his scouting staff.

The same is obviously also true of the Patriots' front office which, since 2000, has shown a strong propensity for acquiring good player talent. Late round success stories, such as Brady, are more likely to show up on Scott Pioli teams than they are on Matt Millen teams. (Even though the odds of any one Scott Pioli pick turning into a Tom Brady story are of course very slim.)

The Saints' Super Bowl win was also a reflection of their front office. They needed a QB. The two big free agent QBs that year were Drew Brees and Daunte Culpepper. The Saints front office wisely focused its attention on Brees; whereas the Dolphins foolishly chose Culpepper. That was one in a series of decisions which proved the Saints' front office was better than that of the Dolphins. Eventually, the Dolphins' lack of talent led to that 1-15 season, the firing of their front office, and the hiring of Parcells. Conversely, the Saints' success at finding talent--at far more than just the QB position--directly led to a Super Bowl win.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I do not consider those examples of pure luck--although I agree there was an element of luck there.

Take the Patriots, for example. In the 2000 draft, they had two fifth round picks, and two sixth round picks. (As well as a number of other picks.) The first of their two fifth round picks was used Dave Stachelski, a player who lasted for two years (both on the Saints) before retiring. The second fifth rounder was used on Jeff Marriott, a player who never played a down in the NFL. The first sixth rounder was used on Antwan Harris, a CB who had two starts over his whole career. He put away his Cleveland jersey and retired after the 2005 season. The second sixth rounder was used on Tom Brady.

Late round picks are a lot like lottery tickets: the odds of any one late round pick turning into something special are very low. But a team with a good front office will have a higher percentage of hits among its late round picks than will a team with a Matt Millen as a GM. If (to use hypothetical numbers) a Matt Millen type hits on 2% of his late round picks, and a Bill Polian hits on 10% of his late round picks, then over the course of several years you'll see an appreciable talent difference between the two GMs' respective teams. You could point to any late round Polian success story and say, "he got lucky there. He only had a 10% chance of hitting, and he hit." But the reason Polian had that 10% chance was because of his talent, hard work, and the quality of his scouting staff.

The same is obviously also true of the Patriots' front office which, since 2000, has shown a strong propensity for acquiring good player talent. Late round success stories, such as Brady, are more likely to show up on Scott Pioli teams than they are on Matt Millen teams. (Even though the odds of any one Scott Pioli pick turning into a Tom Brady story are of course very slim.)

The Saints' Super Bowl win was also a reflection of their front office. They needed a QB. The two big free agent QBs that year were Drew Brees and Daunte Culpepper. The Saints front office wisely focused its attention on Brees; whereas the Dolphins foolishly chose Culpepper. That was one in a series of decisions which proved the Saints' front office was better than that of the Dolphins. Eventually, the Dolphins' lack of talent led to that 1-15 season, the firing of their front office, and the hiring of Parcells. Conversely, the Saints' success at finding talent--at far more than just the QB position--directly led to a Super Bowl win.

Just great stuff. We've drifted away from the original post. But reading a post of this quality makes it well worth it.

There are a handful of posters here who are intellectually and prosaically beyond 95% of the professional newspaper writers in this country.

Reading your writing and witnessing your thought processes (and those of some of our other great posters) is the reward that makes the time I spend here well worth it.

:thumbsup:

Just great stuff. We've drifted away from the original post. But reading a post of this quality makes it well worth it.

There are a handful of posters here who are intellectually and prosaically beyond 95% of the professional newspaper writers in this country.

Reading your writing and witnessing your thought processes (and those of some of our other great posters) is the reward that makes the time I spend here well worth it.

I do agree. There are posters on this board that seperate us from other rah-rah fan sites, which are a dime a dozen. EA is clearly one of them. Ultimately, the credit goes to SDS and the mods for allowing more than just the simplistic sis-boom-bah cheerleading types of posts.

If the Bills hired Badolbilz as a scout, they would improve the next day. For more than a decade, he has been accurately describing the problems of this team, AND giving solutions which proved to be accurate. How cool is it to have him posting here? Same with R.Rich. Lori is as good a writer as anyone on any network. These are only 3 posters; the list goes on.

While I am on a roll, I thank you for your long term contributions to fun discussions on this board. It's all cool!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. :thumbsup: I appreciated hearing this a lot. It's nice to know that people appreciate the thought and effort I put into my better posts on this board. The same goes for you, Bill from NYC.

The problem is that after 10 years of decline, the fans aren't able to separate emotion from fact. They want simple solutions, like Jauron sucks or Edwards sucks.

The bottom line is that changing coaches or QBs won't do much. Gailey and Nix walked into a mess, and they will need to clean up that mess before they can build anything.

Our first line defense looks like it can be decent at times, but guys like Troup will need time. We have nothing viable at OT and aren't very strong at center. This makes the formation of a pocket for our unproven QBs next to impossible. Add that we don't have much at WR and that compounds the problem.

We have some young talent, we just need time to add more

I do agree. There are posters on this board that seperate us from other rah-rah fan sites, which are a dime a dozen. EA is clearly one of them. Ultimately, the credit goes to SDS and the mods for allowing more than just the simplistic sis-boom-bah cheerleading types of posts.

If the Bills hired Badolbilz as a scout, they would improve the next day. For more than a decade, he has been accurately describing the problems of this team, AND giving solutions which proved to be accurate. How cool is it to have him posting here? Same with R.Rich. Lori is as good a writer as anyone on any network. These are only 3 posters; the list goes on.

While I am on a roll, I thank you for your long term contributions to fun discussions on this board. It's all cool!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. :thumbsup: I appreciated hearing this a lot. It's nice to know that people appreciate the thought and effort I put into my better posts on this board. The same goes for you, Bill from NYC.

Well I think you all know how I feel about you guys, but...