Shawn Nelson Pontificates.....

BillsPhan

This in today from the Bills' modern day philosopher, 6'5 240 Lb back up tight end (who runs a 4.5-40 yard sprint), Shawn Nelson, on his take on what his position coach thinks of his work so far in camp:

"His big thing is just coaching technique," Nelson said of tight ends coach Bob Bicknell. "If that's my only weakness, my only problem, then that's a good thing for me. [it's good] if it's not running the correct route or making a correct block. It's just technique, that's just a small thing you can work on. You can always get better. It's just simple things like taking your first steps with the left foot or right foot, small things like that. It's nothing big."

Linky:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nf...ticle104217.ece

:wallbash::wallbash:

So according to our second year 4th round pick with a football world of upside, the only thing keeping him from starting ahead of undrafted Stupar, who cannot run as fast as Nelson and is not as tall as Nelson, is that Nelson can't figure out what foot to lead with out of his stance from play to play.

Once again, we are fed a line of complete crap from both the coaches and players, all because the Buffalo Bills refused to sign starting caliber quality UFA offensive lineman to blend in with and help out our promising draft picks Wood and Levitre from last year. Even if Bell ever does play again this season the kid is a 7th round draft pick who only started about 6 games last year for his entire career, and Hangartner could be every team's quality back up center, but certainly not any teams' starting center.

And so the propaganda spits out daily. "Stupar is better all around." B.S.! Nelson should play every down at TE for the next 10 years for the Bills, period. But the line can't block well enough to be able to take advantage of his "stretch the field" skills.

What else is new? :thumbdown:

This in today from the Bills' modern day philosopher, 6'5 240 Lb back up tight end (who runs a 4.5-40 yard sprint), Shawn Nelson, on his take on what his position coach thinks of his work so far in camp:

"His big thing is just coaching technique," Nelson said of tight ends coach Bob Bicknell. "If that's my only weakness, my only problem, then that's a good thing for me. [it's good] if it's not running the correct route or making a correct block. It's just technique, that's just a small thing you can work on. You can always get better. It's just simple things like taking your first steps with the left foot or right foot, small things like that. It's nothing big."

Linky:

So according to our second year 4th round pick with a football world of upside, the only thing keeping him from starting ahead of undrafted Stupar, who cannot run as fast as Nelson and is not as tall as Nelson, is that Nelson can't figure out what foot to lead with out of his stance from play to play.

Once again, we are fed a line of complete crap from both the coaches and players, all because the Buffalo Bills refused to sign starting caliber quality UFA offensive lineman to blend in with and help out our promising draft picks Wood and Levitre from last year. Even if Bell ever does play again this season the kid is a 7th round draft pick who only started about 6 games last year for his entire career, and Hangartner could be every team's quality back up center, but certainly not any teams' starting center.

And so the propaganda spits out daily. "Stupar is better all around." B.S.! Nelson should play every down at TE for the next 10 years for the Bills, period. But the line can't block well enough to be able to take advantage of his "stretch the field" skills.

Perhaps he needs some dance lessons...

http://bussongs.com/songs/hokey_pokey.php

Guest dog14787

Linky:

We keep losing WR's to injury, who knows, the Bills may start giving Shawn Nelson some reps at the WR position...

If you have been to any of the practices you would know that at this point, Stupar is a better all around TE. Nelson is built like a wide reciever and blocks like one. Even with a great OL, TE's have to block. He'll be on the field plenty. I'm more concerned about having a QB that can get the ball to him.

Once again, we are fed a line of complete crap from

a clueless poster with too much time on his hands...

Technique is the number one thing that separates NFL players from checkout clerks that can run, jump or catch as well as they can. Most small and mid-level college programs put little emphasis on these skills due to budget/coaching constraints, so players coming into the league have to be broken down and "rebuilt" like Marine grunts.

It's particularly true of WRs and pass-oriented TEs who typically take two years to learn their craft.

That is not the only thing that is holding him up from being the starter. His blocking (if it isn't a weakness, which I would disagree) isn't AS good as stupar. Nowhere in that quote did Nelson compare himself to stupar and what he needed to do to beat stupar out of his job. He was just saying what the coaches wanted him to work on. And that does make sense with the whole gailey wanting to work hard on the fundimentals.

This story doesn't seem at all interesting. But I really hope the starting lineup looks better tomorrow. It wouldn't mean much, but it would help make me feel a little better about this team.

And I would like to hear some more good news on these injuries.

My kids pop Warner coach took responsibility for the loss by not having his team in shape, so I can see the coaches blaming themselves. The problem is, the NFL is not pop Warner and those tricks work on 11 year olds.

:thumbdown:

Fran Lebowitz: "Children make the most desirable opponents in Scrabble as they are both easy to beat and fun to cheat."

Edited by stuckincincy

Technique is the number one thing that separates NFL players from checkout clerks that can run, jump or catch as well as they can. Most small and mid-level college programs put little emphasis on these skills due to budget/coaching constraints, so players coming into the league have to be broken down and "rebuilt" like Marine grunts.

It's particularly true of WRs and pass-oriented TEs who typically take two years to learn their craft.

Come on now, that's a sensible answer based in reality. Haven't you heard that the Bills have been and always will be the worst franchise in football? :thumbdown:

well said, the only one "pontificating" is the OP...

Linky:

The Nelson issue is galling. I have suspected the same damn thing going back to Kevin Everette. We have had guys on the roster that can be great receiving TEs but because our line is so piss poor at the tackles they never get on the field because they aren't SUPERB blockers. Stupar is the best blocking TE that can actually catch a pass so he gets the start. If that guy Michael Matthews, our 270lb Free Agent TE, could catch a pass to save his life HE would be the starter.

I thought one of Gailey's positives unlike Jauron was that he would find ways to get the best out of his talent. Nelson can catch the damn ball and stretch the field to open up the underneath stuff. The problem is he can't make a single catch FROM THE BENCH. We will see if Gailey is about getting the most out of his players and play makers or if it is just lip service.

I don't mean to be too hard on the guy because he represents hope where Jauron represented futility. That being said like Jauron he has named Trent the starter and a guy like Nelson isn't being utilized. Maybe all our hopes of a high flying offense are unfounded and we will really be an old fashion power running team with a couple of twists.

When they were healthy we definitely had the RB core for it. It could be/could have been very successful if our guys were healthy and we could have worked out the kinks and gotten things down in the preseason. Per Gailey's comments around preseason week 1 he had a lot of two back plays. Perhaps he is going old school with the running game. Perhaps that is why he is putting up with Cpt Checkdown as he expects every play whether it be a run OR a pass to be 3.5 yards and a cloud of dust.

What did he say that was so bad? Do you think blocking is as easy putting your elbows out like the vibrating football players? He was basically a WR in college and did very little in line blocking so he's still learning in what is only his second year. Most TE's struggle with blocking when they come out of college.

Why do you think two all americans like Chase Coffman and Martin Rucker have failed...because they don't know how to block! Mizzou had them split out every play! They were blocking corners and safeties not 275 lb DE's!

Running fast has nothing to do with blocking, it's all about technique and that's why guys like Brandon Malamuiuna and Reggie Kelley stick around the league for so long, because there are few TE's out there who can block!

Linky:

The Bills can afford a free agent.. or a trade with the Chargers to get a top shelf OT... Dammit!!! without quality help at tackle there is no hope for this season!!!

Ah..It's week 2 of the preseason. Maybe Chan has a plan. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt until at least week 2 of the regular season, shall we. We are all intrigued by the prospects of Nelson's size and speed at the TE position. I'm going to choose to believe that Chan is trying to coach him up right so that he will develope into a quality long term starter. Maybe Nelson needed a little motivation to work harder on his blocking technique and Chan is giving him a little kick in the arse by starting Stupar. Maybe Stuparman is a gutty hardworking good all around football player who makes the most of his opportunites despite his physical limitations. The Strve Tasker of tight ends if you will. Maybe, maybe not. We'll find out over the next 19 weeks. Should be riveting.

It's just simple things like taking your first steps with the left foot or right foot, small things like that. It's nothing big."[/i]

That's really not as easy as you make it seem. When you're more naturally comfortable doing things with the wrong technique and no one ever corrects you and you get into the habit of taking improper steps, it can be tough to correct. You can do all the drills you want, but when you get in a game situation, and there's a bunch of other things you have to remember, it takes a ton of focus to execute properly if you're not used to it.