RB Injuries...

Alphadawg7

We know Fred wont play until at least week 1 maybe longer. Lynch is still unknown, but if its a bad ankle injury he may not be ready to go week 1 either.

So, if thats the case and Spiller starts say weeks 1 and 2 and puts up 300 + combined yards rushing and recieving with a couple of TD's or more, does he hold onto that #1 spot?

I like Fred, and even think Lynch still can be a very good RB in this league...but what do you do if they dont start weeks 1 and 2 if Spiller has big games starting in their place and lives up to his explosive billing?

No, I am not calling for Spiller to start or anything like that, just curious to see how this all plays out if Fred and Lynch arent ready to go week 1.

We know Fred wont play until at least week 1 maybe longer. Lynch is still unknown, but if its a bad ankle injury he may not be ready to go week 1 either.

So, if thats the case and Spiller starts say weeks 1 and 2 and puts up 300 + combined yards rushing and recieving with a couple of TD's or more, does he hold onto that #1 spot?

I like Fred, and even think Lynch still can be a very good RB in this league...but what do you do if they dont start weeks 1 and 2 if Spiller has big games starting in their place and lives up to his explosive billing?

No, I am not calling for Spiller to start or anything like that, just curious to see how this all plays out if Fred and Lynch arent ready to go week 1.

actually its a very intelligent question.

injuries to someone give opportunites to others. that being said, i think he will keep the #1 if he has that much of an impact.

The general rule of thumb is that you don't lose a starting job due to injury unless the replacement completely blows everyone away. In any case, with the amount that we'll be running the ball this season (probably like a 60/40 ratio running to passing), there will be plenty of carries to go around for all the healthy backs.

actually its a very intelligent question.

injuries to someone give opportunites to others. that being said, i think he will keep the #1 if he has that much of an impact.

This will be a run first team come week 1 and will feature a lot of throws to the RB's too, so its not unreasonable to think he can put up those numbers if he is the real deal, which I think he is.

IMO, if Spiller is putting up those kind of numbers, then you have to keep him in there as the #1 RB.

Alphadawg,

I really liked how the offense moved the ball downfield on the first offensive series, but it seemed that was it due to the injuries to Jackson & Lynch. Do you think Gailey is gonna try the same with Spiller & Bell this week vs the Colts? Thanks!