Forget The Typical Way Of Approaching Pre-Season

Instead of just going through the motions and not revealing anything to the opposition, don't you think this would be a good year to really practice the playbook and take full advantage of these games. Maybe hide some of the running schemes since that will be the majority of the playbook but how about really giving Trent as much real game experience as possible.

This is the first season ever for me where I have zero expectations and my main thought process is just improving each game. It is a win win this season as this is Trent's last chance. If he actually turns it around and can run this offense, great. If he goes down in a ball of flames, 2011 draft will be the most important one since Kelly retired.

Instead of just going through the motions and not revealing anything to the opposition, don't you think this would be a good year to really practice the playbook and take full advantage of these games. Maybe hide some of the running schemes since that will be the majority of the playbook but how about really giving Trent as much real game experience as possible.

This is the first season ever for me where I have zero expectations and my main thought process is just improving each game. It is a win win this season as this is Trent's last chance. If he actually turns it around and can run this offense, great. If he goes down in a ball of flames, 2011 draft will be the most important one since Kelly retired.

I remember when a new coach thought it was important for his team to learn how to win. That's why I liked CG's comment

I agree. We have so much new stuff, with new offensive coaches, new defensive set up, new receiver corps, that we can use all the pre-season they give us just getting the basics down. I suspect that will be a huge part of the planning process and this crew should not "breeze through" pre-season. Camp Marv days are a thing of the past.

I thought last season was his last chance?

A big thing with play calling in the preseason is also to put players in a situation to evaluate them best. Like calling 3 straight pass plays to see the QB in action, regardless of down/distance.

Generally, I think that the Bills - and all other teams - should never kick field goals or extra points in preseason. Punting, I guess, is a specific unit that can use the live practice, but the kicking team really could do what it always does every game in practice, whereas the chance to practice two point conversions and other short-yardage plays seems really valuable.

I agree, we should do like the Packers did last year on defense. Being their first year in a 3-4 they went out like crazy mammals, with blitz packages and schit.

It's football, smack the other team around.

Generally, I think that the Bills - and all other teams - should never kick field goals or extra points in preseason. Punting, I guess, is a specific unit that can use the live practice, but the kicking team really could do what it always does every game in practice, whereas the chance to practice two point conversions and other short-yardage plays seems really valuable.

So if they blow the home opener on a missed extra point what will you think?

You want to win? Then you practice everything and you practice it the right way. That includes FGs and extra points under game pressure.