Are there any audiophiles here?

Hossage

Yup. 35 years of tinkering here. I'm still doing vinyl, but my laziness is catching up, so I also have a mac + itunes + dac.

I LOVE iTunes. I don't use it quite the way you do, but I love how it keeps my entire music collection organized and labeled. I use a Squeezebox Duet (www.slimdevices.com), which has software that reads my itunes, to an outboard DAC and into my preamp. It's completely changed the way I listen to music. I haven't played a physical CD in over two years.

I don't have the energy to start a vinyl collection from scratch, but I am a believer in analog :unsure:

I LOVE iTunes. I don't use it quite the way you do, but I love how it keeps my entire music collection organized and labeled. I use a Squeezebox Duet (www.slimdevices.com), which has software that reads my itunes, to an outboard DAC and into my preamp. It's completely changed the way I listen to music. I haven't played a physical CD in over two years.

I don't have the energy to start a vinyl collection from scratch, but I am a believer in analog :)

Thanks, AJ. I did it in the other direction, collecting vinyl and assembling a system since the 1970's. Heathkit, FMI, Dayton Wright, Quatre, Linn Sondek, Oracle, Ampzilla, Magneplanar, Quad, Beveridge, Atma-Sphere, VPI, Mark Levinson, Alon, MSB.

My little source (iTunes on an iBook G4 using Pure Music) has changed my life. That cost about $500.00 See above for what the rest of it costs.

Thanks, AJ. I did it in the other direction, collecting vinyl and assembling a system since the 1970's. Heathkit, FMI, Dayton Wright, Quatre, Linn Sondek, Oracle, Ampzilla, Magneplanar, Quad, Beveridge, Atma-Sphere, VPI, Mark Levinson, Alon, MSB.

My little source (iTunes on an iBook G4 using Pure Music) has changed my life. That cost about $500.00 See above for what the rest of it costs.

Are you still rockin' out with the Maggies? I have 3.6r's for mains :thumbsup:

Yup. 35 years of tinkering here. I'm still doing vinyl, but my laziness is catching up, so I also have a mac + itunes + dac.

how does DAC sound? I would love to hear some newer stuff in analog. Do you have an affordable DAC player you can recommend?

So if people into this kind of hobby are "audiophiles", does that make people who like to drive really fast "pedalphiles"

Yes. What I've found is that you can enjoy a killer music system running at 10/10 for hours. If you have a killer car, and run it at 10/10, you will soon be arrested. I've had both and prefer music. And yes, I was arrested. And probably still am :)

how does DAC sound? I would love to hear some newer stuff in analog. Do you have an affordable DAC player you can recommend?

Hi Pete,

A DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter. Personally, I do not like the sound of CDs played with a CD player. What I do is put the CD tracks on a hard drive and use a purposed older Mac laptop as the player. I upsample the files using an application called Pure Music, and then output it via USB with a dongle called M2Tech Hi Face. The rest is into my stupidly expensive stereo.

The advice I can give you is the part before the "stupidly expensive stereo.". Put files on a hard drive (don't forget to back them up) and learn how to play them. It sure beats getting up to change an LP/CD and you hear many songs that you would NEVER play. The funny thing about iTunes is that it plays the songs that you think of or talk about.

I've been involved with high end audio since 1975. My creepy friends (equally old) now wonder how all the old speakers, amps. etc. would have worked with such a great source.

Tympani 1U in their original boxes. They've been in storage since 1992. Seriously, I'm afraid to look.

DUDE, you should ship those babies back to Magnepan and let them refurbish them. I've yet to hear a pair, but tympanis are some of the most badass Maggies ever made....Those things would kill a lot of quality stuff you can buy new today!

(you can probably tell, I love Maggies :) )