Bills being discussed on "Playbook"

seq004

Stats DON'T lie

No, they don't.

Nor do they tell the truth.

They just sit their like meaningless lumps of clay waiting to be molded into whatever it is you want them to say.

Numbers aren't Drew's problem; decisions (and increasingly inaccuracy) are Drew's problem.

Cya

EDIT:

who consistently made bad decisions on the field?

OK, that wasn't there when I hit the reply button and this is getting a little spooky.

I've got to think that an urbane, wittty wizard of high finance and a backwoods horn rattlin' redneck ought to have somewhat more disparate opinions :rolleyes:

No, they don't.

They just sit their like meaningless lumps of clay waiting to be molded into whatever it is you want them to say.

Numbers aren't Drew's problem; decisions (and increasingly inaccuracy) are Drew's problem.

Cya

145695[/snapback]

Decisions equal stats! Another brain on the board

145699[/snapback]

What about decisions that don't get counted? (like redaing the wrong defenses) How do you translate them into stats?

Decisions equal results.

And you're implying I'm an idiot because I don't agree with you that math isn't hte best way to show that Bledsoe is a poor QB?

If I just agree with you, then can I have a brain?

No, they don't.

Cya

145695[/snapback]

I'd go further than calling them meaningless lumps of clay as even the color of that lump makes a difference in what you can form it into if you are trying to create something lifelike at the end. If your lumps are mostly orange you are not going to form them into some work of art that looks like a body, spleen, potted plant (you prrobably need at least some brown or green clay) that is a believable or workable replica.

What folks seem to forget is that while the right clay formed in the right way may be a good indicator of the truth it is rarely if ever conclusive of the truth.

Further, even the best clay (to further torture your analogy) is not the truth but at best is a replica of it.

A variety of clays in the hands of a good artist can form a work of art which helps enlighten folks to see the truth. Yet, it can just as easily be applied to form some prosthesis which is either a lie or only useful because the real thing isn't available.

A variety of clays in the hands of a good artist can form a work of art which helps enlighten folks to see the truth. Yet, it can just as easily be applied to form some prosthesis which is either a lie or only useful because the real thing isn't available.

That's a fine improvement on an analogy that is certainly screaming for help at this point.

But there's got to be a Clay Matthews joke in here somewhere......

:rolleyes: Whatever, The reason they are winning is in despite Bledsoe. Your right it comes down to wins and losses and if Drew would have played better in some games we would be talking playoffs. I think most people outside of Buffalo view our wins as due to O-line and Willis and that Drew is the same old Drew. Stats DON'T lie. He is not a good QB. That's not a lie. You can throw Trent Dilfer in back their and still win with this offense but is he a good QB?? No, and did you ever think what the offense could be with a better QB? It's just my opinion and of course not everyone will agree. While it's hard for me to understand Drewonians I respect your opinion

145685[/snapback]

And my position is essentially the same as yours. I've said that Bledsoe is playing mediocre football. Under ideal circumstances, he should probably be benched. However, I'm am not sure that it is in the best interests of the Bills as a team right now to pull the plug on Bledsoe. You make the Trent Dilfer comparison, but I ask you, even though Dilfer was a bad QB, do you think the Ravens really cared the year they won the Super Bowl? Granted, the Bills have hardly achieved anything close to that level of success with Bledsoe, but again, right now they have momentum in their favor. With any luck, they can carry that momentum into the offseason and *then*, in the offseason, you can start getting the team acclimated to having Losman as the starting QB instead of Bledsoe. But if they change QBs right now, I think you'll see this team finish with one or two wins the rest of the way and throw much of the progress the TEAM has made the last two months right out the window.

shhhhhh. don't say that it isn't accepted here.

145190[/snapback]

I think the thing which isn't accepted by me and by at least some (if not many) is not the idea that Bledsoe is good (or even adequate cause there are few indicators he is besides ironically record, the Bills are clearly on a hot streak which coincides with Bledsoe being QB the last two games, does this mean that if Bledsoe finishes 10-2 over the last 12 games you are going to worship this one true stat and call for him to be our starter?) but the question over whether JP is ready to start.

I think a growing number of Bills fans are making the judgment that a player MUST play to develop, but that JP can quite likely hurt his development if he starts before he is ready.

This strikes me as quite logical given:

1. the strengths and limitations he has shown as a college player.

2. the injury he suffered in pre-season which may have actually been helpful to him if he used the time to focus on the OTHER things he needs to develop IN ADDITION to the fact he must play and could not with the fracture.

3. even though he could still work (or even do better work) on things he needs to work on and develop with his injury, it not only cost him game time which would be useful but also practice time which is necessary for his development because of some mechanical issues he has shown.

4. The problems showing themselves in his lack of game command and control evidenced by the delay of game and some poor ball handling by JP in the unfair (hey life isn't fair in case you hadn't noticed) NE jaunt where he was thrown to the wolves.

Bledsoe sucks but JP should not start until JP is ready to start. Not a moment sooner and not a moment later.

Timmah?

Timmah?

145200[/snapback]

I think that Tim is ICE's real name. Some posters have taken this rubric as their short form for pointing out ICE's bombast when he falls into it. ICE seems to be responding to this now much like the gay community when they took the word "queer" which was hurled at them as an insult and appropriated it for their own purposes as humorous declaration of their unity.

I may be wrong, but since a couple of people have asked and not been answered, this is what i think is happening.

That's a fine improvement on an analogy that is certainly screaming for help at this point.

But there's got to be a Clay Matthews joke in here somewhere......

145714[/snapback]

I was actually trying to work on some Clay Aiken joke since American Idol and the NFL seem to have a lot in common these days.

CBS does have those stupid sports polls you can call in on, but I guess it is still short of using fan votes to decide ref reviews based on out viewing of replays at home. Hey wait a minute, talk about generating fan interest.. maybe they should do that. The results may be different than reality, but I doubt the fans at home will blow the coin flip with the proper slo-motion replays.

I was actually trying to work on some Clay Aiken joke since American Idol and the NFL seem to have a lot in common these days.

CBS does have those stupid sports polls you can call in on, but I guess it is still short of using fan votes to decide ref reviews based on out viewing of replays at home.  Hey wait a minute, talk about generating fan interest.. maybe they should do that.  The results may be different than reality, but I doubt the fans at home will blow the coin flip with the proper slo-motion replays.

145757[/snapback]

For the umpteenth time, the coin toss was *not* blown. The player said "heads" quietly, then changed his mind to "tails" loudly (before the coin was revealed, so he wasn't cheating). The rule is that you have to take the first thing called. The media did a huge disservice in perpetuating that one. But the official did not make a mistake in that instance.

The fan voting idea would be terrible; it would result in the team with the most fans winning every challenge.

CW

Decisions equal results.

And you're implying I'm an idiot because I don't agree with you that math isn't hte best way to show that Bledsoe is a poor QB?

If I just agree with you, then can I have a brain?

145707[/snapback]

I could care less how you feel about it. The fact is when you are an NFL QB all desicions that are made decides what type of QB you are in MOST cases. Drew has proven time and time again he makes the wrong decisions which kill drives and large gains by the running game.

What seg004 is trying to say is that Bledsoe is an average, mediocre QB and going with him as the starter next year is accepting mediocrity and IMO that doesn't cut it for me and if I'm not mistake for all the BILLS fans.

he's what he is and though he's not the disaster he was last year due to great coaching I don't see enough improvements to keep this guy as the starter.

What if I tell you that'll keep Reese at FS and that he'll start next year?

you'd probably call me names and you'd tell me that we should improve the position because he won't get any better from what you see him do on the field.

The Bills won't go far with Bledsoe as the starter so we must improve the postition, this year or next year.